pulley bars

forum for kitesurfers

pauric
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

pulley bars

Postby pauric » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:42 pm

i've never seen a pulley bar in action but some people say it is great for increasing your kites turning speed. what are the advantages and disadvantages.

maui
Medium Poster

Postby maui » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:18 pm

On a pully bar the kite turns much faster and you can use a much shorter bar.The downside is very limited windrange because their is no chicken loop to sheet out. Generally guys on a pulley use a kite one size smaller than they would on a regular bar for the same conditions.All tricks on a pully bar are unhooked tricks so this makes things harder for most of us.

cyclone
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002

Postby cyclone » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:53 pm

with pulley bar you can ajust the trim with the pulley rope length and a cleat yes?

You can also use a fixed loop to hook in no???

I want to rig one up myself and any help would be appreciated...

Mosaic
Medium Poster

Postby Mosaic » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:17 am

Using a pulley bar is like power steering for a car - it makes turning the kite effortless and much faster. Not being able to depower as easily as w/ a chicken loop is only a problem the first couple times you are out riding with it - you get used to using your edge more to control your speed; instead of sheeting out when a gust hits, just dig the edge of the board in deeper. I use the same 45 cm bar with kite sizes 12 to 20 and don't put up a smaller kite to use the pulley. However, if the wind is really strong and gusty (12 M days), I may rig up with a chicken loop.

kitebored
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitebored » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:11 am

a pulley bar allows the center lines to slide freely on a pulley whilst your outside lines are still connected to the bar.

You can still depower with a power strap or cleat or something like that, but you just can't hook in to a c-loop.

You can put a fixed loop on it too, but i think a mono one would be best as to minimize the space it takes up.

pauric
Rare Poster

Postby pauric » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:44 pm

are there any sites out there to show how to rig up a pulley bar

nickr1977
Frequent Poster

Postby nickr1977 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:34 pm

Screw rigging one up yourself, buy one made by Airush. I got mine about 2 months ago and it is super smooth! I bough the 50cm version cause I like a little bit of a wider grip. Check out http://www.realkiteboarding.com, they can get you a bar, leash, line setup for a great price.

Nick

maui
Medium Poster

Postby maui » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:39 pm

Cyclone we thought you were an expert according to your v4 bashing thread -you even get free kites. How is it that you no nothing of a pully bar?????????

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: 10 Nemi HP, 15m Flysurfer..
Brand Affiliation: none, formally BEST Marketing Director.

Postby sq225917 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:51 pm

:oops:

maui
Medium Poster

Postby maui » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:03 pm

Sq22 you got the idea--I would be more than a little sheepish if I told everyone I was a pro, bashed one of the best kites on the market because I dont know how to set up a kite, and then Der/{whats a pully bar}, is that what them their pros are supposed to ride with??? oops-my expert status has been deleted by the novice kiters on kiteforum!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”