Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Titan 18.5 - Center Line Problem need help!!!

forum for kitesurfers

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Titan 18.5 - Center Line Problem need help!!!

Postby fernmanus » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:56 am

My center line was accidentally severed the second time I was out with my Titan 18.5. I replaced the line with a length of Q-Line, but I was only able to approximate the length of the line because my original line was so frazzled. I have flown the kite on the snow without too much problem. However, I notice it flies very slow and backstalls very easily. I went out on the water for the first time with it yesterday and the problems were exacerbated. It pulled like a truck with little or no depower. I had to sink my board in the water and use every muscle in my body to stay upwind. After 25 minutes of pain, I pulled off the water. The kite flew very slowly and was pulling me downwind fast. Fortunately, I was able to go out on my Voodoo 14 and have a good time, even though I didn't have quite enough power to jump. I am guessing that my center line is too short, but I am honestly not sure.

My question - what is the proper length for the center line on an 18.5? I noticed that the two backlines are much longer, so I could not use them as a comparison.

Thank you,

Kenny

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:55 am

Sounds to me like it is too long.

I'm not completely positive about the titan, but with the psycho and wac-warrior you should be able to trim the centerline so that the back lines are slack.

Slow flying, back stalling and getting dragged downwind too easily are signs that there is too much tension on the back lines, especially if these things are happening when you have the yellow trim strap pulled down all the way.

Beachboy
Frequent Poster

Postby Beachboy » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:35 am

I'd agree... you need to shorten your center line. But... it shouldn't have snapped. Especially on your second time out of the bag. Sounds like a waranty problem.

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby taabsr » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:41 am

The titan has 3 setions of line one with 2,5mt another 5mts and then the main line.
check wich one u broke. and take it out or replace by an equal line.
go to http://www.flysurfer.de for all the measurements of the kite.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: 10 Nemi HP, 15m Flysurfer..
Brand Affiliation: none, formally BEST Marketing Director.

Postby sq225917 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:09 pm

yeh definately too long.

oli
Medium Poster

Postby oli » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:44 pm

Drop a mail to FS.de...
They'll probably send you a free replacement line :thumb:

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:58 pm

I appreciate the feedback and I will try shortening the line. The line did not snap, one of my friends went over it with a snowboard edge which cut and frayed the line.

Nukin
Frequent Poster

Postby Nukin » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:26 pm

The flysurfer lines come as a complete package (red, green, grey). You shold definately replace it with stock Titan lines and keep the original lines for a back up in case you need to replace a section. New lines will have the blue pulleys and black depower line all tuned to the correct length.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:12 pm

I don't understand why I should use a stock line. If I trim my center line to the correct length, why would it make a difference? The only line that was severed was the long center line that connects the center leader to the center bridles. Q-Line is plenty strong if not stronger than the stock Spectra lines.

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster

Postby taabsr » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:51 pm

That one is the worst line to break . just check the line lenghts an make shure it's the same size. on the voodoo all the lines have the same size so u just need to replace by another one of the same size. with the titan the top line has a diferent measure than the leather lines.
And there is your problem.
By your description of it u have too much line on the center and that is activating the brakes.

check the measurements on http://www.flysurfer.de and correct your kite. U should have no problem after that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”