Forum for kitesurfers
vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Competition specific kite

Postby vietkiter » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:42 pm

In auto racing, cars are geared toward peak performance, not comfort, usability by the average guy, and durability (beyond race life).

1. Do top pro riders use stock or heavily modified kites in competitions?

2. How much does all the durability materials (dacron, strut pads, etc.) hold back the performance of a stock kite?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:15 pm

I'm pretty sure they all use stock! At least that's Naish saying for 2004: all riders must ride (kite and board) production gear. I never heard that any rider had a custom kite, but mainly boards. But they ride prototypes to test for the comming production, but they are not specially made for the riders.

IMO.
Toby

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:54 pm

looks like you've managed to notice the difference between a good kite for a days ride and the best kite for a 10 minute heat. plenty of people are moving abck to moderate aspect kites, they are less hassle, easier to use and you only miss out on a few % lift and hangtime for a whole lot of ease of use.

backwards is the new forwards.

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby vietkiter » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:15 am

Sq,

That's my point... I don't necessary think there is such a thing as a beginner-advance range kite. In most thing, there is a tradeoff between high performance and durability/userability.

Do you have any thought on how much better a kite would perform without all the reinforcement/durability compromise... how much lighter... how much quicker in response?

It's not that I am looking for this type of kite for myself... just like I don't want an F1 as a daily commuter (bicycle also a good example). However... it's the dedication to high performance that produces most of the "trickle down" innovations. What exotic materials would designers use on a $10,000 competition kite?

vietkiter

Return to “Kitesurfing”