Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:19 am

:thumb:
The kind of thing that should be known by any kiter and unfortunately that is not...
So... back on top of the topic stack !

Even if the list is not exhaustive,
how do we say :
- the wind becomes stronger?
-presence of gusts?,
-of sharks?
-the tide is going in/out?
-put a smaller kite!!!
-... and all those things that you may need to communicate to your mates on the beach when you're on the water.

and even if on the website linked above it seems to be limited to instructor use, with most two handed signs... there should be a universal set of hand signs dedicated to kiteboarding, and made accessible to all kitesurfers, on kiteforum for example.

Maybe should be part of the safety guidelines or something like this.

Rick I, Toby, anybody? some sticky post/poll about this ???
Maybe the best :wink: useful thing for this forum since a while...

:bye: ... this one just means bye...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:43 am

I think that Rick posted something like this before.
Check the "Infos" or "Safety" section of this site.

I don't think we need signs for "you need a smaller one".
Just watch the guys riding and see, if they are overpowered or not.
This should be doneanyway: watch about 10-30 min before you go on the water.
That's what I do....I get out of the car, maybe already take my board to the beach, check the conditions with a windmeter, see the average speed and how strong the lulls or gusts are.Then I watch the guys outthereand see, if the gusts spank them or if they move at all.
Then I check the weather if clouds are on the rise, then I wait until the really dark ones are gone.
And I checked the weather before in the internet, if hard gusts have been forecastted....

Just too many signs will make people insecure, just keep the basic ones and we are fine...the rest can always be communicated!

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Unified kitesurfing hand signals

Postby abel » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:23 pm

I think it is a very important topic. Communications in the beach and water under the noisy waves/wind conditions is almost impossible (as most of us experienced).

Hands signals is a language, it is important and we shouldn't neglect it.

I agree with Toby that it should be KISS style (Keep It Small and Simple)

I surfed the web for this topic and could hardly find something besides what we got in this thread and: http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/safet ... gnals.html

I would be pleased to get inputs reagrding Kitesurfing hand signals and compile them into a unified proposal. As a start, I will refer to the IKO and ask their formal input.

If someone already did this od something similar, please advise.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:23 pm

Toby wrote: I don't think we need signs for "you need a smaller one!!!".
I see this utility...
When sometimes I ride well powered with my 12, and I see my girlfriend pumping its 12 whereas she would be way better and safer with her 9. It's not always obvious to see that someone is really well powered, and it's not easy nor safe to go on the shore to tell her to downsize... but...if this is useless for anybody else, we'll develop an internal secret sign, no worries.

Concerning your attitude when arriving on the beach with your car, even if this should be the way to go, check, recheck, take your time, sometimes, it's different, especially when you live at the beach, and that you take advantage of a weather clearing or an evening wind to take your quick-fix. Can't wait for hours to see what may happen, you hurry as fast as you can, of course prepared to something that may happen with the weather. You can be alone, with no guinea pigs to observe. So... there is rather a tendency to use a medium kite with a huge windrange to handle any wind variations and a reliable safety release and leash.
About the forecasts too... I had lots of sessions where I rode with my 9 whereas a 10kts was forecasted... so no real reliability either down under here...

And hence I thought about some more signs needed that may be useful in this case, to communicate easily your feelings to the mates looking at you on the beach, waiting to decide which size to pump...
... but this can stay confidential and not necessary universal ... it's just faster, more reliable, and more efficient if this is kind of standard.... but after all who cares ?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:57 pm

It is important that we recognize UNIVERSAL hand/audible signals for kiteboarding. They have these in diving and many other activities and they have been a help. In the case of kiteboarding effective signals can accomplish many things including reducing the odds of a launch/landing incident or accident, verifying that the person that is to catch your kite may indeed have some idea of how to do it, etc.

If you exchange signals with someone it is more likely that they may know how to help you correctly. Guys have been severely injured several times by having untrained people help them and through miscommunication with experienced helpers.

I widely posted some photos of proposed universal signals after a particularly nasty accident happened following poor launch communications in August 2002 at:

http://tinyurl.com/2qr9c

I really don't care whose signals are adopted universally, just as long as some uniform signals come into regular use. Failing that, there will likely be more avoidable accidents, including some severe ones. So, why not start using some of these things. There was a time when no one knew what "lofting" was unlike today. It is amazing how things can spread once we start using and talking about them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”