Hilton Head, South Carolina

forum for kitesurfers

Aki
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Hilton Head, South Carolina

Postby Aki » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:28 am

Anyone know much about kiting around Hilton head, South Carolina? The beaches seem to be nice and wide. Any tips on windstrengths, seasons, beaches etc would be appreciated.

Cheers

Aki :bye:

ox
Medium Poster

Postby ox » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:59 am

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they have pretty strict rules about flying any type of kite. Head over to Myrtle beach and there is a crowd of kiters. Winter season may be ok to go out as all the tourists are spread out, but summer is a different story. I was there last year and it takes about fourty five minutes to go from Hilton Head to Myrtle. If your really trying to do H.H. i think your best bet would be the northern tip.
There is also a good kite shop in Savanah, GA. They know the ins and outs a lot better. Overall a pretty cool kiteboarding crowd in Sav, Ga.

Hope this helps.

tweak
Medium Poster

Postby tweak » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:44 pm

Yes, avoid Hilton Head.
Instead of going all the way to Myrtle beach, stop by Charleston. There is a great scene (check out the most recent Kiteboarding mag).

lucifer
Medium Poster

Postby lucifer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:37 pm

Hi
I am from Athens GA and have relatives between HHI and savannah.
What exactly are the issues with HHI? I had my trainer out there a couple months ago and no one hassled me.

Also any more info on that kite shop in Savannah?
Name? location? etc.
Thanks

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:41 pm

Station 29 is the good local spot in Charleston. Streets are called stations on that beach.
http://www.iopweather.com/default.htm
Here is the weather station located on that beach.

supermaned
Rare Poster

Postby supermaned » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:08 pm

I kited off of South Beach in Sea Pines in HH over Xmas and it was damn good - good wind, long off shore sand bar with some butter, and some small surf. Guess the beach, which is beautiful and wide, is more restricted in the summer. Ask what the deal is at Outside HH, or the surf show in Sav., High Tide in Tybee Island. Think Charleston and Tybee get best wind around there.

lucifer
Medium Poster

Postby lucifer » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:37 pm

ox wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble, but they have pretty strict rules about flying any type of kite. Head over to Myrtle beach and there is a crowd of kiters. Winter season may be ok to go out as all the tourists are spread out, but summer is a different story. I was there last year and it takes about fourty five minutes to go from Hilton Head to Myrtle. If your really trying to do H.H. i think your best bet would be the northern tip.
There is also a good kite shop in Savanah, GA. They know the ins and outs a lot better. Overall a pretty cool kiteboarding crowd in Sav, Ga.

Hope this helps.
Just out of curiosity how in the hell do you manage hilton head to Myrtle in 45 minutes? Helicopter? Harrier?
Last I checked it was 1h45 from HHI to charleston and Myrtle is way further north...

ox
Medium Poster

Postby ox » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:56 pm

I can get there by Ferry Dust. Sprinkle it in a circle and click your heals three times.

Tybee Island is what I was looking for.

HH can be done during the winter, but i wouldn't try it during the summer. No point in pissing people off

surferguy
Medium Poster

Kiting on Tybee Island

Postby surferguy » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:50 pm

Thanks ox

I am a local kiter here in savannah. I learned to kite on Tybee Island. We have over three miles of beach that you can kite. This time of year is the best time to visit. But please do not kite south of 10th street or anywhere near the Tybee Island Pier. We have policed ourselves and visitors from kiting in that area.*Also, Watch out for the rusted underwater jettys at low tide between the lighthouse and the Sugar Shack.

The Gear hookup is:
Tim Malins @
High Tide Surf Shop, Tybee Island

Anyone interested in having a guided tour to spots in this area
from Tybee to Jacksonville feel free give me a call.

Justin Davis
CORE kiteboarding
912-920-7300
Lessons & Weekend Secret Spot Tours

lucifer
Medium Poster

Postby lucifer » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:20 pm

Thanks man
I'll look you up next time I'm down there :thumb: :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”