Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What board to buy?

forum for kitesurfers

flypunk
Rare Poster

What board to buy?

Postby flypunk » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:33 pm

Hey. :D I´m thinking about getting a new board between 120 and 130 with good upwind performances but I don´t know for shure what board to buy. I was thinking about the North Jaime pro or a x-shooter but I don´t know how this boards works in waveriding. Will you choose any of this two, or other one?

good winds
Flypunk :thumb:

philippinho
Medium Poster

Consider also underground

Postby philippinho » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:21 pm

I tested both, X-Shooter and Jamie. I think none of them is good for waveriding because they don't turn very easy. Conserning turn, the X-Shooter is quite better than the Jamie. The Jamie turn very slow and needs a lot of presure to get around. The X-Shooter edges very much and has very good pop. Both of the are probably not the characteristics you are looking for a boards which is good in the waves.

I love my underground WT for waves very much. It is very easy, turns quickly, has round tips and it is also very loosy.

(my opinion), philippinho

Freddy B
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Freddy B » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:51 pm

I've found that when it comes to boards, all you can do is test them. Go to a kite shop or to someone on your local beach and try them out. No matter what people say, no one can tell you what kind of board you will like. My dealer is excellent at giving me unbiased characteristics of kites and the info is usually acurate, but I have not had an accurate review regarding a board yet, despite his attempts.

It's all about personal preference! Be a pain and ask to take every new board out you see. You will soon get a feel for what you like.

ccat
Frequent Poster

Postby ccat » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:58 pm

both guys above are absolutely right, flypunk!
but to narrow down the search i can give you some hints-
square tips tell no good turns same with flat rockers not to speak of boards having both.
your preferable board will probably have a moderate tip outline, some rocker ~2.5 to 4cm rocker and soft rails if not just rounded tips, some 4cm rocker little width and soft rails!

cheers
Adam

lutchi
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lutchi » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:03 am

try the Drop 130 from MLF it was espcially designed for wave riding

dereck
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: juno beach
Brand Affiliation: TONA

Postby dereck » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm

DanK is right!....don't let anyone tell you what board it right for you...if it is the best selling board in the store, that does not mean that it is good, it just means that it has the highest profit margin for that retailer and they will push it. Same thing in the mags. Unlike other water sports where the worth of a board can be measured without the ability of the rider, for example, in windsurfing slalom, there are fast boards and slow boards. From making kiteboards I have found that it is not so in kiteboarding. It is such an original and creative sport that is judged by the expression of a rider and not a time or measurement etc. a good kite board is one that the rider is fully tuned into and can be used as a tool to improve as the rider improves. And it can be different for every rider. That is one of the main reasons I enjoy working with riders and making kiteboards. It is quite amazing that we are sold on being told what is good for us and what is not. Here is an example, A friend of mine unfortunately lost his production board out in the ocean the other day, seeing him disappointed, I offered to make a replacement for him of similar size ( I felt bad for him so I would do it for less than my current price and in fact for less than the cost of this replacement production board) but he declined and said he wants to replace it with the same board. Sure it must have been a good board and he obviously liked it and I had no problem with that at all. It just showed me how that companies marketing has a good hold on him. And that is fine too... I like that, it helps me, it keeps the pressure off me of having to try to push my boards on people....I do all my boards by hand so I can not mass produce so most people that want one of my boards seek me out..... if you are open mined enough to seek me out then we will get along great and I can make you are great board. That's my thinking. I never claim that I can make a board that everyone will like. Sorry, re-reading this I have strayed a bit off topic, and believe me, it is not a shameless push for my boards, but all I want to say is, don't get brought by the marketing, try before you buy, speak to riders not salesmen and better yet, if there is a local shaper in your area, go and have a chat with him. Open you mind, you will be surprised what you find. Bigger companies spend more money to capture and keep a market than what they put into the boards themselves.
Sorry to be so long winded... :
Good luck finding a board.
regards,
Dereck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”