Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Nice wipeout, be prepared for some tea bagging!

forum for kitesurfers

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo, Mexico. Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico.
Boca del Rio, Veracruz, Mexico.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Kites:

8m Ozone Reo V3
10m Ozone C4 2015
14m Ozone Enduro V1
15m Ozone Chrono V2
17m Ozone Zephyr V5

Boards:

ASP Stealth Custom Kiteboard 135cm 2013 Black
Fone HRD Lite Tech 137x42cm 2017
Core Fusion 2 139x43 2017
Axis Ultra 2015 144x45cm
Underground Kipuna 5'8" Surfboard
Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surfboard
Alpine Foil Access V1 Foil and board
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone, Slingshot, North, Naish, Core, Crazy Fly, Axis, Mystic, Pro-Limit Ion & Dakine.

Nice wipeout, be prepared for some tea bagging!

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:21 pm

Sharky
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sharky » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:33 pm

Where is this???

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo, Mexico. Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico.
Boca del Rio, Veracruz, Mexico.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Kites:

8m Ozone Reo V3
10m Ozone C4 2015
14m Ozone Enduro V1
15m Ozone Chrono V2
17m Ozone Zephyr V5

Boards:

ASP Stealth Custom Kiteboard 135cm 2013 Black
Fone HRD Lite Tech 137x42cm 2017
Core Fusion 2 139x43 2017
Axis Ultra 2015 144x45cm
Underground Kipuna 5'8" Surfboard
Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surfboard
Alpine Foil Access V1 Foil and board
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone, Slingshot, North, Naish, Core, Crazy Fly, Axis, Mystic, Pro-Limit Ion & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:39 pm

i got the pic from a website of some norwegian guys trip to venezuela, margarita and coche. I am not sure where the pic is from, i think coche island.

http://www.kiteordie.com

skipfrommichigan
Medium Poster

Postby skipfrommichigan » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:51 pm

AS -

I will be running the same setup this spring (recon with the leash attached to the back of my harness).

To the experienced ones with this setup - what happens after this photo when you blow a jump? Do you crawl up to the bar?

THANK YOU.

S
:thumb:

Natefizzle
Medium Poster

Postby Natefizzle » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:43 pm

How is this setup considered a "safety" system? I may not be seeing something right, but won't the kite drag him by the back of his harness untill it decides to crash or hit the nuetral zone? Where's the depower?

Nate Dogg

Matt_tsv
Rare Poster

Postby Matt_tsv » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:50 pm

Hi Nate and Skip,
when you miss a bar pass, or let of the bar for some reason the suicide leash just catches the kite, the bar flies up against the depower strap, depowering it slightly, and with the back lines now slightly loose the kite will either just fall into the water and wait for you to pull the bar back towards you and relaunch it, or it will stay in the air, in which case you just pull the leash in and hook back in. You do get a bit of a pull when the leash tensions initially, but as soon as you let go of the bar the kite will just travel in the direction that you were last pulling. You usually only get dragged for a few metres. Despite what alot of people say, this system is actually very safe IF it is used responsibly. I wouldn't be doing bar passes or any tricks were i may drop the bar if i was close to shore in an onshore wind with people on the beach, or if i had other riders in close proximity down wind of me. Think about it, if you missed a bar pass at 20-30ft and your kite fully depowered and turned into a flag you would freefall and more than likely injure yourself. With a suicide leash you would normally just float back down with the kite, as at this height the kite is normally above your head for a bar pass. One other thing, if your going to run this type of leash, make sure the suicide leash is strong enough to take the force of a big wipeout. Too many riders are using standard leashes for this purpose that were only designed for connecting to the depower line. Get a suicide leash made up by buying some 8 or 10mm spectra, pulling out the core and then threading some shock cord through the spectra casing. Make the shock cord a bit shorter than the spectra and get this sewn into place at each end, so you've got a bit of spring in the leash. Also, make sure you get a nice big stainless snap shackle, sister clips are very weak and chances are they'll pull apart in a big wipeout.

Hope this helps.

Matt

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sid5150 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:27 am

Nice one!!! :thumb:

It looks like you are transitioning from a textbook 'Board-Spitting Albatross' into a nice, high speed 'Head Auger'. :claps:

Man, judging by your wake, that must have been one helluva ride!

Sweet.

Sid sends

skipfrommichigan
Medium Poster

Postby skipfrommichigan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:38 am

Matt -

Thank you. That answer was dead nuts on for what I was looking for. I will handle pass on the water - but not in the air. The 'suicide' leash looks like the answer to still be able to do wakeboard tricks with the Cabrina bar (raley, etc). We also had a rider lose his kite last fall after unhooking the 'locking' Cabrina harness loop.

I owe you a cold one next time you are in Michigan. My Brit neighbor laughs at my domestic beer.

Skip

Return to “Kitesurfing”