Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Kitesurfing Super Production Dom.Rep. - Episode 1+2+3+4+5

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:49 pm

Kitesurfing Super Production Dominican Republic- Episode 1

Hello everyone! Before starting to tell you about our Dominican adventures, I need to introduce myself. Let’s go: my name is Elsa Saintville, I’m 24 and I started kitesurfing about one and a half years ago with the idea it could bring a new meaning to my travels. I looked for good tropical spots and cool cruising in order to take in as many wonderful images as I could. I also wanted to discover other cultures, other people, in a few words: to have a great time!
During my last trips and the Boat Show in Paris, I met a few people from the crowd : riders as photographers or cameramen. Two weeks ago, a team manager from “Freeridersâ€
Last edited by Toby on Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:44 pm

Kitesurfing Super Production Dominican Republic – Chapter 2

Hello, I’m back, straight from Kitebeach. Here is the news from down here : those last three days have been very busy, so here is the main facts.
Friday, the team had a meeting for a debreefing : the purpose was to do a downwinder from Kitebeach to Encuentro which is another wave spot located 4 km down west from Cabarete. The conditons were great, blue sky, strong wind (25 knots). The downwinder was a really pleasure and the riders had a great fun. The waves down there make the spot look like a “skate parkâ€

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:46 pm

Kitesurfing Super Production Dominican Republic – chapter 3

Hello everybody !
Today, I will not tell the story of the last three days, like I usually did. I’d rather talk a bit about how we organize the set up and the technical tools we use to diverse our point of view. For they are quite impressive.
So, for once, lets put the riders aside, and focus more on the staff which is not as simple as it might seem. First of all, you should know that the staff is composed of 6 people (cameraman, photograph, assistant) who the firtsly need to handle a team of 8 riders (not always disciplined... I’m kidding) and at the same time coordinate their respective jobs. On the first hand, Abre and Christo take care of all the logistics : moving around on the spots in order to evaluate the wind, waves and light conditions ; researching the different ways of transport (by cars, scooters, boats), formation of group of riders to be sent to the different spots as well as giving them the order of passage in front of the lens... Furthermore, every morning, the staff brief the riders on what will be expected of them during the course of the day. For example : meeting at 1 pm at Kitebeach for all riders ; group departure at 1:30 pm for a downwinder to Encuentro (big wave spot) ; on location doing such manoeuvers ; need for riders x and y to be rigged with a video cam (kite, lines, back pack) ; etc.
At the end of the day, when riders chill out (!), the staff get back for work of visioning and selecting the best images of the day, then determining news needs, in terms of manoeuvers on the water or in the waves, which later will be filmed during the course of the following few days. As you can see, here, in Cabarete labour is as hard as in the mines... but with the sun, the sea, the palm trees and the white sand as a plus !
Til next time !
Elsa

The pictures have been taken by : elsa saintville, manu morel, francois sautai

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:32 pm

Kitesurfing Super Production Dominican Republic – 4th Chapter

Hi ! It’s during this splendid morning on a monday in february (oh yes “ againâ€

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:38 am

Kitesurfing Super Production Dominican Republic – Chapter 5

Today, I decided to interview the riders one by one, collecting their
general feelings about the trip in Cabarete, the
the kite sessions, the spots, the weather conditions, the climate
with the others riders, the staff and the Dominicans, or concerning
the work completed to date by all the team.
Richard Boudia : ‘First of all, Cabarete, for me, it is really the ‘Mecque’ of the kite, the
ideal compromise between an excellent spot of training and a super night
environment (and more if possible…). The Dominican ones are super
cools, accessible and extremely cordial. Also, we have the advantage
of working with a very complementary team : great diversity of the technicals used
for the video and variety in the style of the riders. And then, the long stay (3 weeks) we make enables us to optimize the conditions of
kitesurfing : waves, wind, luminosity. Then, I think I’ll go out this evening, have some drinks and …’ Ok, Richard,
that’s perfect, please do not say any more.
Julien Sudrat : ‘Good general impression ! What I really liked in the concept of the
Super Production, is the scenario set up by Christo with its set of
actors. For once, that will change from the others videos exclusively based
on the kite... because when you have seen one of them, you have already seen all of them!
There, we will try to make people laugh between two kite sessions. And
then, you know, I have been already three times to Cabarete,
and to be really honest, I think it is the ideal place to involve itself, because of the conditions (wind, waves, sun), and the general level
of the riders which help to improve. Moreover, the cost of life
is very accessible and you can sail one hour after your landing in
Puerto Plata airport. To finish, I‘d like to say that I am
sincerely shocked by the desperate and completely irresponsible
attitude of Richard Boudia who should better think a little more
about kitesurfing and his stomach and not only about his appearance and his nights...’. Thanks Juju, for your invaluable informations.
Mickaël Fernandez : ‘You know, I am very happy because since the beginning of the stay, we had
sun and wind. The production and the riders are great, the evenings
too! There are innovations concerning the embarked images : one does
not see only the hands or the feet of the riders; they are
filmed in their entirety. Also, the fact of staying three weeks in
Cabarete with excellent technical means and tools, enables us to really make
good job. The 8 riders give a large variety of styles to the video,
which is an undeniable advantage compared to the others videos which
seldom present as much of it. And then, like Julien, I appreciated the
making of the comic scenes: we had so much fun! Then, you should know that Malik and Richard are the big “losersâ€

Mr trott
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr trott » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:41 am

Ok, I'll write it again.
That production is bogus. All these guys do is film their own little family. There are a lot of guys riding better then Jojo Carneiro, Julien Sudrat and the RRD dude in Cabarete at the moment, but they seem to be afraid of that someone in the family might loose their sponsorship if they show unsposored riders ripping up some pro ass... Too bad, the movie could get much better than it will

Return to “Kitesurfing”