Forum for kitesurfers
HAFA DUDE
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

FOOTSTRAP STANCE

Postby HAFA DUDE » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:22 pm

So how wide of a stance is everyone using on their boards??? i use 46cm on a stubbie 117 board it feels nice because you can stand far back on these short boards to fly over chop. :thumb:

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteGlider » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:10 pm

Credit for this tip goes to other posters on the forum, thanks to whom ever you are.

Jump straight up and down, landing in a comfortable stable stance.
Note where your feet land and you should get your personal ideal stance that way.
Easy to do in sand as your feet make good impressions.

I'm about 2m tall at 100kg and my stance is only 38cm from the centers of my feet. My straps are toe out duck so the heels are actually closer than 38cm.

I set up my board this way and feels good especially when edging hard.

Also, even though the stance distance may seem narrow, it's still enough for shifting your wieght when wave riding for example.

The wider stance is wakeboard sumo aggressive, where the narrow stance is more relaxed cool wave surfer style.

sgt. Salty
Frequent Poster

Postby sgt. Salty » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:36 pm

thanks hafa and kiteglider,

Really a nice post.

I just ordered a LW 158 where I have to glue the pads on by myself. I'll get the stance your way.

If anyone disagrees with this method, please speak up before I glue them

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sid5150 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:22 pm

K.G's solution is elegantly simple!

Also realize that whichever way you put your pads on your board, you really have to bone things to get it really wrong. Whichever way you put the Straps/Pads on your board, the more you ride, the more you'll get used to it. Eventually it will be the right way as your body adjusts & compensates.

Personally, I like my stance a little wider. I feel like I get more leverage for edging hard when I mash down on the back foot.

I could be fooling myself, but the placebo effect makes me feel better about it anyway. :D

Have fun with the new plank!

Sid sends

Rex
Frequent Poster

Postby Rex » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:14 pm

KiteGlider wrote: Jump straight up and down, landing in a comfortable stable stance.
Note where your feet land and you should get your personal ideal stance that way.
Great tip! If you do a 360 rotation with your body as you jump, you may even get closer to the stance, you want for when you're regaining your balance after a jump. There may be a slight difference to the jumping up and down.

Landing after a rotation like that, you can also tell the angle at which your footpads should be aimed :thumb:

Best

Rex

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:31 am

Well guys but dont jump once!!

Do it al least 10 times and get an average out of it.

kookfest
Medium Poster

Postby kookfest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:04 am

KiteGlider wrote:Credit for this tip goes to other posters on the forum, thanks to whom ever you are.

Jump straight up and down, landing in a comfortable stable stance.

I'm about 2m tall at 100kg and my stance is only 38cm from the centers of my feet. My straps are toe out duck so the heels are actually closer than 38cm.

I set up my board this way and feels good especially when edging hard.

Also, even though the stance distance may seem narrow, it's still enough for shifting your wieght when wave riding for example.

The wider stance is wakeboard sumo aggressive, where the narrow stance is more relaxed cool wave surfer style.
That's not the full story.

A lot of pros are riding with super wide stances (like 20 inches). This is obviously wider than what you would get if you jumped and landed and used your landing stance as a guide to your footstrap placings.

The reason super wide is good is because it helps land wakestyle tricks. A super wide stance makes handle passes more reliable and easier because it lowers the centre of gravity, it gives you a more standard and easier to control spin in the vertical plane (eg doing a mobe) - something to do with circular momentum, and it helps you stick your landings.

tazzpowerup
Medium Poster

Postby tazzpowerup » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:07 am

What I did was jump off something about 3' high 5 or 6 times & took a average measure of my foot spacing.

worked for me --- Tazz

dereck
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: juno beach
Brand Affiliation: TONA

Postby dereck » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:49 pm

here is my take on it. Do all the above... jump up and down, spin around a couple times, jump off the dining room table..hang from the celing fan and drop...... :lol: .then when you land take that stance and add about 2-3 inches to it.
Most of the boards I make for pros are 18 to 20 inches and so I had to try it for mysef. It took me a session of two to get used to it, but now I can not do it any narrower. You really get a positive grip with the back foot making your board very sure footed. You can also handle more power. I think that is why most of the big time riders go wide, so they can power up more. My advice, try it, give it a couple sessions. It can bring a lot of life to your riding.
regards,
Dereck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”