Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite surf in Houston

Forum for kitesurfers
hernan_lp
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite surf in Houston

Postby hernan_lp » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:39 pm

Visited Texas City on Saturday and met a few guys down there waiting for the wind to blow. By the way, it never did. I am living in Houston (downtown area) .... can someone please give me a few tips on how to check the actual weather conditions of the diff spots, either web pages or phone numbers? (I really cannot tell from where I live). Thanks a lot and hope spring winds start showing up around here.

Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:06 am

Hernan, I am Ian (pronounced Yawn, although some know me phonetically as "Ikorn") I am here in La Porte... due east of town. There are a few of the locals that hang out on this forum, but there are more that dont. Here are a few links for weather pages I look at.
1)
http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/publ ... =6&whend=2

if this link dosent pop up to texas city, just type that name in the search by city section to the left of the screen.

2)
http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.i ... r=snapShot

These are the two I look to, and I also call 866-447-6787 option 3 from the menu, listen up for the "eagle point" forcast. That is the sensor you would want to follow for wind info. (option four is also good this time of year for wetsuit purposes.)

Also, here is the link for our local shop, Charlie is a good dude, he'll take care of you.
http://www.windsurfingsports.com/

there is a link for weather on his home page... that will be a great place for info...

Again, welcome to the city, program the 866 # in your cell that way you can have the current wind conditions at the drop of a hat.

French Cowboy
Medium Poster

Postby French Cowboy » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:53 am

Hernan, don't get down. It has been windy here around Galveston. The weekend before last, it was blowing 15 to 20 knots most the weekend. I think we have had a great last two months.

I have found that the most reliable forcast is at www.wunderground.com. Go to the Marine Forcast link on the left menu, and click your way through the map to Texas. You can check marine forcasts all along the Gulf Coast.

The 866 number that Ian gave you is great too for checking current conditions.

Later,

Cyril

hernanlp
Rare Poster

Postby hernanlp » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:33 pm

Thanks to both of you for the prompt reply. Will check out those pages and the phone # to get familiar with them and hope to meet you guys in the water some time soon.

Kiteboarddog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kiteboarddog » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:55 pm

Hernan,
Welcome to Houston
Joel

hernanlp
Rare Poster

Postby hernanlp » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:19 pm

Thanks Joel. Hope to have a very pleasant stay while in Houston. Let's see how good the forecast is on this first link above as they say for Sat to be winds from ESE 16 mph w/ gusts up to 33 mph. Will go to bed early on Fri ...

Kiteboarddog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kiteboarddog » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:01 am

Don't believe the gusts but Saturday sounds good
See you there
Joel

kiteman ks
Medium Poster