real leash safe????

Forum for kitesurfers
laz
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

real leash safe????

Postby laz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:01 pm

yesterday all the guys convinced me i need to ditch the surfboard leash since it can make the board snap back at me. so i just didnt ride with a leash and all was fine but i was scared i was going to lose my board. with the real leash would it be safer then my old surfboard leash or is it just more expensive and more hype? what are the reasons why it would be safer then my old surfboard leash whitch i will never wear again. or should i just try to stay away from leashes all together unless the winds super light?

later
-henry

twins
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby twins » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:21 pm

With the reel leash you have a 3m chord. The leash line is pulled when you leave the board behind... there is less risk of the so called catapult effect.
The board is less likely to shoot back to your head. Wth a normal surf leash this is not just a risk, but it is almost sure to happen in a bad wipeout. It is always advisable to wear a helmet in any case, and try to get rid of the leash gradually. The reel leash is convinient, as you can hook it in and out when you want. Even if you are not using it while riding it is useful as if something goes wrong and you have to self rescue, or while trying to relaunch the kite, you can hook it to your board so that it does not go too far from you. When jumping, never use any kind of leash, that is just crazy.

I don't think that surf leash is an option for kiteboarding it is far too risky. If you really must use a reel leash.

http://www.twinsonline.eu/safety.htm

As you can see on our website, we put reel leashes and helmets in the same section.

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:25 pm

The Reel Leash is better, but not fool proof.

It is a calculated risk, but if you are not jumping and the leash attachment is rigged off the very end of the board, the danger is far lower than a surfboard leash.

The issue is the webbing is only 10' long. If you jump higher than that the board may dangle in the air beneath you. When you land you could be on top of it and cut yourself on the fins or hurt your ankle.

I add a 3 foot bungee to absorb some additional shock and provide a little more length. This also keeps the line from tugging all the time.

I also ride inland lakes where downwind trees are a much bigger problem when you don't have a board.

If I know I am going to be jumping I will go out to the middle of the lake and disconnect the leash, that way I have time to body drag back to the board if it comes off, before I reach the tree line.

It all depends on your circumstances, location, and the risks you are willing to accept. I would prefer not to use it, but sometimes I feel it is safer than the alternative.
HTH,
Ken

Tyrone Rabinowitz
Frequent Poster

leash

Postby Tyrone Rabinowitz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:33 pm

Get rid of the leash. Learn board retrieval. Any leash, even the reel leash, poses a serious rick of having the "headache ball" come back at you. I witnessed a kiter with a reel leash get into trouble when it wrapped his board and acted like a sea anchor. The harder he flew the kite the further it pulled him under. He kept his wits and cut his leash. The board floated to the surface. Another kiter with a reel leash was knocked unconscious by his board. A passing boat saw the accident and pulled him from the water. A year later and 3 reconstructive surgeries on his face, he is back on the water. An expensive helicopter ride to the trauma center was another byproduct of the leash. About $25,000 USD! The reconstruction of his face was around $400,000 to $500,000. Losing the most expensive board you own is a very cheap alternative.

Learn the Basics!

Superman Superman Superman

Edit: I forgot to add that the kiter that was injured was wearing a helmet.
Last edited by Tyrone Rabinowitz on Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

bri
Frequent Poster

Postby bri » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:05 pm

thats the worst type of leash you can wear. If you do decide to change to a different leash you should be wearing a impact vest and helmet to protect yourself and also a have a quick release on the leash

Driller
Medium Poster

Postby Driller » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:25 pm

I have had me real leash for 4 years when they came out and it is very good i have and extra 3 ft cord that goes on the board so i ahve 16 ft of line never a problem i do board off's handel passes and nothing ride waves but i know ever buddy is against it but if i turn "pro" i woud sponser 'them for sure i have heard it all but if you haven't tryed one you can't talk you have heard from a friend of a friend that has got hurt anyways it is not a bad item it is preference

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:28 pm

No leash is safe, even if you wear a helmet. Fatalities have occurred (yes, even with helmets, even to beginners who weren't doing big crazy jumps or anything).

Reel leashes are somewhat less dangerous than those elastic surf leashes, but it's relative. If your board is so important to you that you can afford a $50 leash, then you can afford a replacement board... 10% is pretty expensive board insurance, especially when it carries the risk of injury...

The only reasonable justification for using a leash at all is in strong currents (with a really expensive board and a kite that sucks at body-dragging upwind) - then you have to ask yourself what you're doing riding a really expensive board in strong currents with a kite that sucks at body-dragging upwind... If you're riding in a spot where your board could get sucked out to sea, then you could too...

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:34 pm

The best thing you can do is get rid of your leash.
Once you get the hang of body dragging upwind you won't need or want a leash.

The only time I use a leash (a reel leash) is when I am out in really light wind and by that I mean sub 10mph. The reason I will use it then is that there is not enough wind to body drag upwind.

In such light wind the leash is not a risk, but I do use it with a "pig tail" webbing that is about 3 foot long and a quick release at my harness.

One big risk with a reel harness is if the board gets stuck in kelp or sand it can anchor you and sometimes pull you under.

Cheers

Fred

SonicSpectrum
Rare Poster

Postby SonicSpectrum » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:57 pm

What about this....simple - no leash at all!

http://www.oceanrodeo.com/gojoe.php

Sonic

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

Postby North_Wind » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:21 am

Go Joe ... nice idea just depressingly ugly.

I add my voice to the "no leash" vote. I went out for a session in Swansea Bay (Wales) this Saturday. Awesome. 20 mph gusting 30 mph. After an hour and half I lost my board doing a jump. Ended up 20 metres downwind of it and while body dragging upwind I lost sight of it in the waves. I realised the choice of colours/graphics on the Dragon (grey/blue) is not great when it is upside down in the sea. Next time I will get something more visible.

Anyway, after 25 minutes searching out at sea I packed the kite up, got changed and walked back to the beach 90 minutes later. I worked out where I had lost the board and went downwind of it to where the board would hit the beach being blown in. There it was.

I always put my name and email address on the board in marker pen so if it is lost the finder/coastguard know how to find me or check I am OK.

I agree with the last poster. If the conditions are such that there is a risk your board will end up going out to sea, then you shouldn't be out in that spot/those conditions. It could be you.

North Wind

Return to “Kitesurfing”