Brand Affiliation: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Review Airush DNA 6.0 2007

Postby Kyle_F » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:27 pm

Review for Airush DNA 2007 6.0

Times tested: 2-5
Range: 18kn to 30kn

Good: Amazing Stability ! Quick pivotal turning and un-matched predictability. Simple design and quick setup. Great low end and plenty of range.

Bad: Only comes in Green or Yellow

Review: By the looks on this kite, I though it would be a dog for sure. I was so suprised by this kite. It is a dream in waves. It stays stable no matter what you are doing to it and turns aroung quicker than most. Most 6m kites leave you wanting a little more power in the lulls but the DNA blasted right through them ! I would have to say that I would like a little more drive in a loop from this kite but it's "what you feel is what you get" riding style makes everything come together in the waves.

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 61-70
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: All
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 8.0
Most Used Kite Size: 7.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 121-130
Brand Affiliation: Distributor
Similar gear used: Flow SLE 5
Flow SLE 7
Halo 7

For pictures and more reviews click here

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:46 am

Have to join the pimp fest on this one. Just came in from a fun/ crazy session on the DNA 6 in 25-35mph + super gusty and the kite is really good. I depowered it about half the rope length (I make different color pen marks on these long depower rope systems every 4-6 inches for quickly finding the right trim) and just flew it like it was fixed so I wouldn't have to trim it for unhooking each wave. turning is quick and I would say not too pivotal. Bottom end on this kite is huge for a 6m Power is more like an 8 but has full comfort range to 40 mph. Great wave kite and for sure best hybrid I have flown.

Halomon
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Halomon » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:29 am

Thanx surfingwithkites for the mini review; how does this kite feel when jumping?; what is the minimum wind you would ride this kite in?; how was the depower working with the new bar? I plan to demo one soon as the oppertunity opens up. Be well.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:52 am

Hi Halomon, I don't jump much because it destroys surfboards (unless they are glassed like a tow board and weigh ten pounds or something lame like that.) But jumping with these kites is really good for a hybrid. More pop than most but you need to be careful not to depower too quickly in the air. The kites have such a quick "throw" from full power to no power that you can drop like a stone. A good feature when you want to land between waves. When Dimitri was still at Airush he really liked this kite for his crazy kite loops so it must be pretty good.

I haven't really explored the low end of the 6 fully yet. Only flown it twice as it's new. Low end depends so much on board volume rider weight and technique. I weigh about 165. I think someone with good light wind kite skills on a 6'4" surfboard could get away with staying upwind in 15 mph. On a 6'0" surfboard the same guy would need a steady 18 mph maybe. 20 would be more comfortable for riding waves and 25-30 optimal. Over 30 the waves at pretty much every spot I've ever seen (except for two that shall remain nameless) turn to shite anyway. Smooth as silk up to very gusty 40 mph and thats as windy as I have tested it. I fly the kites on "custom", as in old salvaged, 22m lines instead of the 24 or 25m that (I think) come with the kite so you might get a little better light wind performance with stock lines. I used to fly it on 15m but it was a little twitchy and weak. Ben designs all his kites for 25 m lines I think and he really knows what he is doing so I recommend using stock lines.

I need about 10 to 12mph to stay upwind on the nine with a surfboard

It's really up and down here this time of year (I just swam in along with everyone else about half an hour ago) so it's more time for our biggest kites (these days that means a 9m since pretty much no one bothers to fly a 12 anymore) I relaunched the 9 in about 5 mph of wind but it wasn't enough to keep it in the air. One of the keys to this kites performance is its light weight. With only three struts and a simple bridle they don't take much wind to fly in compared to a seven strut kite of the same size.

On both of these kites, when you crash the kite and want to relaunch, sheet down on the rope about halfway and it will launch really fast. If you leave it fully powered up it is really hard to launch. connect the your leash to the end of the depower rope. I replaced the loop on the end of the rope with a small stopper ball and clip my leash around the rope so it is against the ball and adjust the rope by pulling on the leash instead of the ball. I use a small tylaska shackle on the kite end of leash so it can never accidently clip into my harness hook. A leash that just girth hitched around the ball would work too and have less mass. One thing about long ropes with metal leash hooks on them is they can fly around and crack you in the face in the surf when the kite is sheeted down. Still a far superior sheeting system than the straps and crap others use.

My bar is pre-production version so I can't say about the new bar. sliding stopper is a dangerous piece of crap in my opinion and not needed but maybe I just never figured it out. I strip all the extra crap from my bars and kites that I can and throw it away.

Kitehard
Rare Poster

Postby Kitehard » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:29 am

Hi Guys,

I have to Echo the remarks made by others about the DNA.

We have stocked our kiteboarding school here in windy Perth, out with 4m, 6m, 9m and 12m DNA kites for teaching beginners.

We have made half the bars 15m and the other half full length (25m).

These kites are the "ducks guts" in terms of safety, relaunchability, and stability. The kites are also super robust.

As a school or surf kite, they are unbelievably good, can't speak highly enough of them. As a riding kite for freestyle, I'd rather ride the FLOW SLE as it flies a little higher in the wind window and certainly boosts and hangs better than the DNA's.

We love our DNA's and have given them a beating in our busy school over the last 3 months with little effect to the kites.

As a surf kite or beginner, make it a DNA, you just can't go wrong!

Good winds,

AKS 8)

CORTION
Rare Poster
Style: surfing

Postby CORTION » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:19 pm

do you ride the waves unhooked or hooked?
do they ride ok unhooked?
would you guys that have used both say the DNA is the better kite or the Flow for a purely surfboard riding wave kite?
Which sits better for riding unhooked?

Kyle_F
Frequent Poster
Style: All-around
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Kyle_F » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:31 pm

Halomon !

Did you try the DNA 6 out yesterday ?? I was lit on my Flow 7 !

Just want to know how it went.

Aloha,

Kyle

http://www.AirushKiteboarding.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”