Torch 3 some questions

Forum for kitesurfers
Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Torch 3 some questions

Postby Ludmil » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:00 pm

Hi,
Last night I received my T3 10 wich the first of the Torches I plan to buy /14 will be next/ and as read some posts around there are some minor issues about wear on LE caused by attachment points and also first and second batches where are reinforcements added. Could someone explain where should I look at?
Being unlucky I received bar and lines different from those I ordered
- ordered 24m lines with 18 inch DD bar, received 27m/20 inch.
I contacted with the importer here and they said that is not their fault but they try to fix the problem /hope someone from Naish reads it/.
I share this because I intend to get 10 with 18 inch,14 with stock bar wich is 20 inch/otherwise I`ll have 2 bars in same size/ and if buy an t3 8 kite only then I`ll have all bar sizes needed...
What you think?

Merry Xmas to all of you.

Regards,
L.

PS Windy but F..n cold here...

jameser
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jameser » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:25 pm

hey Ludmil

What weight are you and what is your regular board size?

I am 85kgs 132 board. Wondering whether I can get away with 14/10 or whether this is going to limit top and bottom end too much. Ideally I want to kite from 15-30 knots. perhaps I should go 16/12/9. But then I hear that the 10 is a must have. 16/12/10 perhaps? Maybe I should go 16/10 and then keep my 12m Answer to plug the gap?

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

James

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:00 pm

jameser,

I`m 73-75 kilo, ride 130Sol wich has very big range and conditions here are avg. 12-16 knots -when realy windy not more than 30 k.
My previous combo was/is -I haven`t sold them, T2 16 and T1 10 and to my opinion there`s no real gap between those. For example with the 16 I`ve been unhooked upto 19 k max /these kites are very smooth/ when I can easily swich to the 10 .When riding hooked the range is broader esp. the topend ofcourse.
Normally your 3 kites combo could be 16,12,9 but 16,10 is ok also.This year I`m going to replace the 16 with 14 wich seems to has very good lowend according to diff. people posts and mainly because I need my bigest kite to be little bit faster even if I have to sacrifice 1 knot from the lowend .

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:03 pm

Ludmil,

You should look under the front attachment point, under the white loop. If there is an extra pad on the canopy. I don't have one on mine, but I haven't seen any wear either. I have also borrowed a friends 12 without the pads, and there is no wear there either. I am monitoring it though.

The DD bar is awesome, I think you'd like it. :-)
I haven't ridden the 10, but if it is anything like the 12 you'll absolutely love it!!!! It's so fast turning, looping with even power.

A.

bkiter
Medium Poster

Postby bkiter » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:56 pm

The first batch does have this issue it will wear through the leading edge after about 20 sessions on the kite.I have recieved patches from the Naish distrubutor in Australia and its rectified the problem.

Refer to this link there is a photo I posted.
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2332143&start=90

Also check your leading edge near the end strut the stitching has been comming of this will happen when you self launch the kite, I have seen this happen on 4 torches so far its a simple fix with a needle and some nylon thread check both sides.

I have just been told the kite has been voted best c kite of the year and the best c kite ever made, enjoy the kite its insane.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:19 am

bkiter wrote: Also check your leading edge near the end strut the stitching has been comming of this will happen when you self launch the kite, I have seen this happen on 4 torches so far its a simple fix with a needle and some nylon thread check both sides.

I have just been told the kite has been voted best c kite of the year and the best c kite ever made, enjoy the kite its insane.
I'll see if I can some then. I have been looping my kite like crazy, but not seen anything yet...I always pump it hard...can it have something to do with that?

BKiter...what size do you have? I have tested the 12 and I love it...I haven't made any decision on buying yet, as I'd like to test other kites as well.

My 14 T3 is insanely good, and I just can't say enough good things about it.

Shit I hate not having wind around. There is so many things I want to work on in terms of riding.
Kiteforum is my only way of getting my kiting fix.

Alex

bkiter
Medium Poster

Postby bkiter » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:18 am

The 12 is an insane kite I will be trying the ten shortly and will post what I think of it but from all reports its an awesome kite, I have also flown the 14 and cant believe how much power it generates and still depowers well.

As for me I have the 12 and have ordered a 16 that will cover wind ranges from 10 to 30 knots , I love my 12 and cant speak highly enough of the kite.

My mates have had a go on the 12 and now theirs six of them that have ordered quivers of torches , my learning curve on these kites is so much quicker I will be doing things on this kite that I thought would have taken me alot longer.

But watch out for those defects with the kite its an easy fix obviously Naish have recognised this and rectified the problem with the second batch I suggest you put patches underneath the attachment points before it starts to wear.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:44 am

Hi,
Despite the bar confusion,I`ve got my T3 with pads underneath the front pigtails so I assume this is the IInd batch. :D

Regards,
L.

windsurfer-resurrection

Naish Torch3 warranty issue

Postby windsurfer-resurrection » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:35 pm

Ok, so there may be a problem with the first batch of kites?

I would like to here an official responce from Naish.

None of my torch3's have any added protection at he front attachment points, 10m,12m,14m

bkiter
Medium Poster

Postby bkiter » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:05 pm

I dont think you will hear anything from Naish I suggest you go to the shop you bought the kites from and get them to give you some patches , Naish do realise they fucked up in the first batch it looks like its not that many kites that dont have the patches underneath the attachment points.

Distrubutors around the world only order a certain number of kites and see how they go in terms of sales and then if the kites are popular they then order in alot more so for the second and third batch of kites which Naish have put the patches in.I recievd Kevlar patches which are super strong and used seam grip which is glue for kite repairs to attach the patches.

You will never see a kite company coming onto to a forum admitting they fucked up, they obviously do monitor the forums to see what the feedback is about their kites and thats about it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”