Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Boards made specifically for Featherweight riders?

Forum for kitesurfers
Rodan'sWings
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boards made specifically for Featherweight riders?

Postby Rodan'sWings » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:14 pm

Hi, i need a replacement for my 04' Lightwave 125X39, i weigh 56Kg/124lbs, i need a similar sized board that will soften hot landings but still have good pop. Can any of you sub-60Kg riders recommend a board for me? im open to size recomendations, but i think i was born to ride 125X39. It seems like all the board companys are catering to 70kg+ riders, boards that are too stiff for us....wheres OUR boards?

Most used kite: 11m GK Sonic (12-24knots)
2nd most used kite: 7m Waroo II
favorite board size: 125X39
water conditions: flatwater+chop
favorite trick: big air (my only trick:)

2007 boards im thinkin about:
CrazyFly Pro-edition 125X39.....
UG FLX 128X39.....
Nobile555 125X38.....
FlexiFoil 130X40.....

cola_taiwan
Rare Poster

Postby cola_taiwan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:17 am

i'm 60kg and use a sonic 07 11m.
i've just got myself a gkbolic 126x38.
it's really light and seriously flexy. you can also move the footstraps in or out - out for more pop - in for better upwind. i'm on better upwind at the moment as it's also not such a wide stance. (i'm not so tall...)

i don't know how the heavier riders cope with it! it's very small and skitty. give one a try?...

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby laz » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:11 am

im 130 pounds and ride the 06 14 meter sonic (hmm do all light riders use sonics lol)

you dont need a thick board or a super wide or long board

bassicaly if theres a decent ammount of wind go for the thinnest board with the thinnest edges. every thin edged board i've ridden ive loved it just makes it so much easier to carve and so much easier to go upwind and hold down more power. i ride usualy in chop so the edges help cut through. i like my 130 LF drop when its calm but hate it when its choppy or when im at all overpowered. im a intermediate kiter.

boards ive loved
-agrassion barn door when its light is sooooo awesome
-naish haze in just about everything except it felt kinda "tracky" but i kinda liked that
-i loved the zero gravity 130 and 137
-a slingshot surfboard with a cut off nose on a super light day
-a 130 board with a big spade on the back i liked too but im not sure of the brand

if i could pick any board id go with a zero gravity 130 or 137

also i liked boards with a little bigger fins on them since they helped me keep my ground and go upwind better

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Klaus (c:E » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:13 am

Hai,

55 kg is still "in the field" unlike childs with some 20 to 40 kg.
For really light riders Naish had a special version of the Sol called Grom.
At 55 kg You might want to try a f-one sk8. They have a pretty soft flex.
I wonder why You´re fixed on specific measures as different outlines suggest different sizes. I really like 119x35 with one shape while it may well be 132x37 with another kind of shape.

Sea You: Klaus (c:E

KGN
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KGN » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:28 pm

If you are willing to consider a custom board,like a Roguewave board,they can lighten up the build and change the flex/rocker to suit your weight.
Thats what i had done for me,as im fairly lightweight,and sometimes reg construction is overkill.Its nice to have a lighter board if you can.

Rodan'sWings
Medium Poster

Postby Rodan'sWings » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:17 pm

Klaus (c:E wrote:Hai,
I wonder why You´re fixed on specific measures as different outlines suggest different sizes. I really like 119x35 with one shape while it may well be 132x37 with another kind of shape.
Sea You: Klaus (c:E
Klaus i know, its a shame there is not yet an industry standard for measuring KB outlines like surfboard industry has.....maybe they just dont like to share details for fear of competitors copying?
Anyone else?

MeafordBoarder
Frequent Poster

Postby MeafordBoarder » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:25 pm

The LF Mini Liquid Force is good...but its only 120 I think...

Laz, I think the board you mean is the Cabrinha Custom '06...Its got a spade on the back

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:30 pm

I am right around 70kg (+-1) and ride 12 and 16 Waroos.
My favorite board is the Doyle SX 139X39 (2004), it is super lite, has good pop, and lands well.

I also like the MLF, but it take a lot of wind to stay upwind at my weight. It is a very stiff board, but has a double to single concave with rail channels on the bottom. It handles speed really well and would address those hot landings you refer to, it also has good Pop. It is a great board in Big Wind.

I have the LF WLF too, but it is soo Wide I have a hard time jumping with it. It likes to suction to the surface on take off. I use it mostly for light wind cruising when I can't stay upwind on the Doyle.

I added Surf Dog fins to the MLF (2.25") and WLF (2.5"). They made a big difference in tracking and jumping.
HTH,
Ken

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby NEkitesurfing » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:14 pm

With 65kg I'm using most of the time the new Nobile 666 126*38. It does it all . It' s pretty amazing. Planes ealier, is fast, goes upwind very well, good control. Even with an 8 m² kite couldn't feel the limit of the board coming close. One size bigger is less nervous but you will feel it more on a bad landing.

All the new nobile boards have good shapes, are light, have good fins, straps and that special flex which makes the difference.

Return to “Kitesurfing”