Forum for kitesurfers
egor
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

right of way

Postby egor » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:49 am

hi everyone although this question may seem very obvious to alot of you guys i am a bit confused so please help.
its all about who has right of way on the water here is what happened and i am not sure whether it was my fault i am rideing left foot forward upwind and someone is coming straight at me but he is right foot forward going downwind who has right of way.
cheers for the help guys.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:56 am

So if I have understood correctly....
strictly speaking he has the right of way..usually that would mean going upwind of you....only if you are on the same tack does the up wind person have to yield. If he is going downwind, you can simply slow down, keep you kite high, he should in any case passing down wind of you keep his kite low.

Passing someone as long as down wind kite is low and upwind kite is high is no problem...however passing guys and girls who does not do this...you know sweeping the kite right over your head where you alsmost have to ditch the kite in the water...or the kiters passing down wind keeping their kites high are the dangerous ones....

a.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:01 am

viktor
Frequent Poster

Postby viktor » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:05 am

These yatch club rules may be good and all but unless you have common sense they are just crap. F.ex say that you and your friend are going towards the shore, you slightly downwind and behind. Now you could force him onto the shore by just keep going and not letting him turn. I find this happening quite often.
Give it some thought and it will usually clear up. Maybe not on the water but for the next time.
You are going upwind and have some other guy coming downwin. Could it be that he is gaining speed for some trick?
You are going out though the waves and you have another who has unhooked and are dropping in on a big nice wave. Why not let him get that nice wave and stay out of his way.
You are coming in on a wave and then you have some poor guy who is going to get caught in the closeout if you do not step of the wave.

In short, be kind and friendly on the water. If you have the opportunity to give way without sacrificing too much then give way. Unless you are course racing, then drop that kite in front and push them outside the buoy :)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:06 am

viktor wrote:These yatch club rules may be good and all but unless you have common sense they are just crap. F.ex say that you and your friend are going towards the shore, you slightly downwind and behind. Now you could force him onto the shore by just keep going and not letting him turn. I find this happening quite often.
yup people tagging like that are a F#$&$ing pain in the a$$. Some do it maliciously as well...not remembering that he'll meet me at the beach..I can can be the guy helping him out of a crisis. This is the same with the guys refusing to launch, and then 2o mins later ask you for helt to land...

That said, if you just turn around in that situation, the guy following is in trouble....which was what a friend of mine did, when a guy was tailing him....it lead to some commotion on the beach when they wanted have a word.
Give it some thought and it will usually clear up. Maybe not on the water but for the next time.
You are going upwind and have some other guy coming downwin. Could it be that he is gaining speed for some trick?
Well then the guy is a bit of a prick..if he attempts to do a trick when he his close enough for people to worry about the rights of way, he is too close...sending the kite in a position like that can lead to kite tangles....not good.

You are going out though the waves and you have another who has unhooked and are dropping in on a big nice wave. Why not let him get that nice wave and stay out of his way.
Waes have different sets of rules..here the surf rules apply...let the guy on the wave go...just get out of the way...what ever it takes. Ruining someones' wave is poor form.
You are coming in on a wave and then you have some poor guy who is going to get caught in the closeout if you do not step of the wave.
sounds again like you are too close especially if the waves are so bug you have to worry about them closing out...I'd stay away :-)
In short, be kind and friendly on the water. If you have the opportunity to give way without sacrificing too much then give way. Unless you are course racing, then drop that kite in front and push them outside the buoy :)

100% agreed. Use common sense, but having riding guidelines is very important epecially if something should happen that you cannot think about too long....

my 5cents.
a.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:52 pm

Everyone should avoid everyone.

Upwind rider = kite high, downwind rider = kite low.

When in doubt, jibe.

The starboard/larboard rule is primarily for racing, and here's how it is supposed to work:
Larboard tack is expected to maneuver to avoid collision.
The starboard tack boat is not allowed to turn onto a collision course to try to cause a penalty - it must hold course except to avoid a collision if/when the larboard boat fails to maneuver or misjudges the distance. The starboard boat IS expected to maneuver when collision is imminent.

If you want to see a clear example, watch a recording of the last race of this year's America's Cup - the larboard boat tried to pass in front of the starboard boat, which was holding course. Larboard boat misjudged the distance and didn't have enough clearance, but instead of jibing away (no penalty), they kept going - starboard boat finally had to maneuver to avoid collision. There would have been NO penalty if the larboard boat had adequate clearance and then the starboard boat changed course to cut them off - if anything, the starboard boat should have picked up a penalty in that case.

So the starboard/larboard rule really determines who is expected to act first when on a collision course (larboard). The starboard boat is expected to declare course first, then maneuver if the larboard boat fails to do so or misjudges the distance.

But for us, the fact is that when two riders are approaching, 99% of the time it's obvious who will pass in front of who and if both riders go with it, it's no problem. Problems start when the "behind" rider decides to bear up and try to cross in front of the other guy (or vice versa) - and in that case, it doesn't matter which tack they're on, they are a$$holes...

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:30 pm

Wow, I'm surprised, usually when this topic comes up twenty ex-poleboarders chime in on the yacht club rules. Then they link to the IKO website which regurgitates the yacht club rules, like IKO is some sort of official organization.

Bottom line
1. Be nice
2. Every place is different. Some places have nice little throw-it-down (TD) zones (usually flat water) where everyone likes to do their tricks. If you can't TD stay out. If you can, don't hog the honey pot.
3. The guy that wants to TD has the right of way period. Do everything you can to get out of his or her way.
4. If you think a rider is dangerous because he like to TD close to people, stay up wind of him/her. Remember rule number 3.
5. Two riders coming at eac hother. Use common sense. Avoid turning around when you approach someone. When you do this, you end up in front and down wind of the rider making it so this rider can't TD. This is not a nice thing to do.
6. Remember if we don't go out of our way to make room for each other to TD then we're just a bunch of pole boarders going back and forth.
7. The Yacht Club Starboard tack rules are not for our 3 dimensional sport.
8. Go out of your way to make poleboarders feel uncomfortable. Spray them, jump over them, kiteloop through them, etc. It's a pointless sport and they should go elsewhere.

Return to “Kitesurfing”