Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

NSI Surf n' Skim Padz

Forum for kitesurfers
Trikke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Andora, Albenga, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, tarifa
Style: Waves to wakestyle, to g' old big airs!
Gear: '14 RRD 9m + 13,5m Obsession
RRD Poison 134x43, RRD AssoPigliatutto Pro, RRD Waveoff 5'6", RRD Domingo 5'8"x21"
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NSI Surf n' Skim Padz

Postby Trikke » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:26 am

Did anybody ever use them on a regular surfboard?

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/v ... 60#details

I have my 6.4 Pukas unused and I don't want to spend a lot of money for a kite specific surfboard, since I ride waves only few days a year...

What do you think about these kind of pads? Would they be a solution?

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Re: NSI Surf n' Skim Padz

Postby FredBGG » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:47 pm

Trikke wrote:Did anybody ever use them on a regular surfboard?

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/v ... 60#details

I have my 6.4 Pukas unused and I don't want to spend a lot of money for a kite specific surfboard, since I ride waves only few days a year...

What do you think about these kind of pads? Would they be a solution?
These are great pads as are their foot straps.
I used them on a regular surfboard and they work really well. Solid as a rock.

How well they work for you will depend on the strenght of te deck of your board.

A couple of tips. If you get the straps screw the straps onto a piece of thick scrap plywood first to compress the webing material. This will make it easier to screw them into the surf and skim padz.

They make these in small batches by hand so you can even get to choose your colors.

Cheers

Fred

sisky
Medium Poster

Postby sisky » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:36 am

the pads are good. I put them on a 6' 4" JC surftech. The straps are so so. They were a pain to get the threads in, but no big deal... I changed the straps to a set of Dakine that are adjustable. Way better....

get em' they are worth it..

Kitedespot
Rare Poster

Postby Kitedespot » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:38 am

Just put some on an NSP 5' 4" board (which are cheap as chips, and cheerful). I am amazed at how good they are. Got Proton NSI straps, which are adjustable, and beautifully soft like the old Adam Koch ones.

I used padz on front strap, and surface mount footstrap inserts for back strap. Cut square of existing pad out to place insert (use white spirit to get sticky underside of pad square off, and clean so insert sticks directly to epoxy board).

All up, a great, cheap and easy kiteboard!!

Advice on screwing to board to flatten straps as above posts is good, as difficult to screw in otherwise. Bottomless holes, so if you screw too far, you can pierce epoxy.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:14 pm

Kitedespot wrote:Just put some on an NSP 5' 4" board (which are cheap as chips, and cheerful). I am amazed at how good they are. Got Proton NSI straps, which are adjustable, and beautifully soft like the old Adam Koch ones.

I used padz on front strap, and surface mount footstrap inserts for back strap. Cut square of existing pad out to place insert (use white spirit to get sticky underside of pad square off, and clean so insert sticks directly to epoxy board).

All up, a great, cheap and easy kiteboard!!

Advice on screwing to board to flatten straps as above posts is good, as difficult to screw in otherwise. Bottomless holes, so if you screw too far, you can pierce epoxy.
Why did you only use on Padz and set the board up as you describe (was it coincidence or design).

Thanks,

hein
Very Frequent Poster

Postby hein » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:15 pm

It had an existing tail pad.

So he just cut out a little
square and used the
surface mounts for the
back strap.

Kitedespot
Rare Poster

Postby Kitedespot » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:20 am

Hein is right - NSP board comes with tail pad.

Have added photo.

Note that NSI sent me tail pad by mistake, despite specifying front pad, but I just wanted to go kitesurf, so I cut off tail pad wedge, turned pad around, and stuck it on.

Why not just get some plugs put in? Three reasons:
1. These looked like such a good idea, I just wanted to try them
2. Was a bit concerned about putting plugs in an epoxy board as add ons, breaking skin of board.
3. I like NSI straps so much, I wanted to get some of them anyway, so stick on thingys for a few extra bucks didn't concern me.
Attachments
NSI Padz 3.jpg
NSI Padz 3.jpg (210.75 KiB) Viewed 1511 times

hein
Very Frequent Poster

Postby hein » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:26 am

Thanks for posting the pictures.

It would be good to add some additional
pad to fill in ahead of the existing tail
pad. NSI should be able to hook you
up with some white EVA for that. Or
you can PM me with your address and
I'll send you some scraps I have.

-Hein

P.S. But since your out in W.A. It might
be a while before you get it.

Kitedespot
Rare Poster

Postby Kitedespot » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:51 am

Thanks for the offer Hein.

As they are, the straps work really well and are mega comfortable.
Not having pad up front of back strap is no problem.
My back foot is actually on the pad most of the time.

Back strap sits about an inch in front of middle fin. Could have put it back an inch, and put front insert on pad, but wasn't confident of my ability to cut square out of pad.

As it was, turned out to be simple. Used felt pen to mark outline of square, then cut around it with Stanley knife. Then used a chisel to get square off, and white spirit to get sticky stuff and residual pad off.

NSP board has a moulded inset to put pad on, so pad is less proud than usual, and you don't notice much of a step at front edge of pad. Couldn't get board without a pad.

Thinking of doing a 5' 10". Would probably cut two squares in back pad, putting back strap a bit further back. Would also consider using using surface mount footstrap inserts for front strap, without pad. Padz have more sticky stuff overall than inserts, and I imagine are more durable. So far inserts (and Padz) are brilliant.

8)

Trikke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Andora, Albenga, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, tarifa
Style: Waves to wakestyle, to g' old big airs!
Gear: '14 RRD 9m + 13,5m Obsession
RRD Poison 134x43, RRD AssoPigliatutto Pro, RRD Waveoff 5'6", RRD Domingo 5'8"x21"

Postby Trikke » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:20 pm

Thanks guys!
Since mine is a classic foam board, not a epoxy one...do you think it will dent easily when planing?

Where will the back strap be placed? Right in front of the center fin or where else?

Return to “Kitesurfing”