Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Does presence of a 5th line affect ease of turning a C-kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
PhysioRol
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Does presence of a 5th line affect ease of turning a C-kite?

Postby PhysioRol » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:11 am

I have been riding 5 line for a couple of years and like it (mostly for depowering while on land and relaunching a big kite). I do not really notice a difference while riding in flat water but that is probably due to lack of skill.

I recently went in the surf and I came to the conclusion that I could not turn the kite (11m) fast enough to keep it in front of me while on the wave (kite sheeted out all the way).

Question: Does a 4-line C-kite steer better than a 5-line C-kite when sheeted out?

I am considering re-rigging my bar to 4 line to figure it out for myself but would rather avoid that hassle if it makes minimal difference.

Rol

devin
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby devin » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:48 am

if you're going to be riding against the stoppe, sheet your lines out a bit so there's more back line tension. it'll steer faster.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:49 am

well the 5th line is basically a bridle that helps the kite keeps its shape. I think it matters, especially if you ride in gusty conditions.

a.

Tyrone Rabinowitz
Frequent Poster

5th line and turning

Postby Tyrone Rabinowitz » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:05 am

Question: Does a 4-line C-kite steer better than a 5-line C-kite when sheeted out?
Depending on how your 5th line is set up it should increase turning speed. What kite and bar set-up are you using? With my SS kites (Octane and Fuel) there is a noticable difference with slight tension (but not enough to depower) on the 5th line. The kite seems to turn on the axis of the 5th line. With no tension on the 5th line the Fuel flies just like it does in 4 line configuration. I don't fly the Octane on 4 lines.
...I could not turn the kite (11m) fast enough to keep it in front of me while on the wave (kite sheeted out all the way)
(Lack of) Rear line tension is usually the culprit with slow turning speed when sheeted out. You turn the bar but without enough tension it takes a little longer for the kite to respond. Then you correct the turn and the slow response causes you to get off your line and pulled off the face.

I'm not a great wave rider but just relay what I've experienced.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:16 am

Assuming both kites keep a stable profile, ie the four line C was meant to be a four line C, the four line C will have less drag and sit further forward in the window. It will also fly faster through the window which is important for unhooked waveriding. Turning speed itself is more to do with kite design than number of lines. More important than absolute turning speed is arc and powerband of turn. Very quick pivot turns are not really what you want for waves. A smooth quick arc turn is going to be better than a pivot. Lots of issues at play and it makes more sense to choose a kite because it works as an overall package rather than based on one narrow aspect like turning speed alone.

PhysioRol
Medium Poster

Postby PhysioRol » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:32 am

FYI: I also ride fuels.

I must have to wrong combination of depower strap and 5th line tension.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Does presence of a 5th line affect ease of turning a C-k

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:11 am

PhysioRol wrote:I have been riding 5 line for a couple of years and like it (mostly for depowering while on land and relaunching a big kite). I do not really notice a difference while riding in flat water but that is probably due to lack of skill.

I recently went in the surf and I came to the conclusion that I could not turn the kite (11m) fast enough to keep it in front of me while on the wave (kite sheeted out all the way).

I am considering re-rigging my bar to 4 line to figure it out for myself but would rather avoid that hassle if it makes minimal difference.

Rol
Depends on your bar system.

But basically - if you have a 5 line kite, and the kite is depowered more than the same 4 line kite would be when sheeted out - then you will get a bad response/not be able to turn fast :o

So a "clean" 4 line kite will always turn good of course - but a 5'th line dont make it turn slow, as long as you dont have too much tension on the 5'th :thumb:

Of course there is a bit more into the design, but above is still how it works.

So I think you have too much tension on your 5'th (or an "active" depower 5'th - which will also result in slower turning).
Correct this, and you should be fine :thumb:
Or, as said in above posting, dont sheet out as much (or take a smaller kite) :P

If you have a flat kite with pulleys at the kite, you can avoid this - as you will be able to have tension on the rear lines, even when depowered (tension on the 5'th line or bridles), and the kite is still controllable.
But this is another issue...

:- ) Peter

macca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby macca » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:41 am

I ride Octanes with adjustable 5th line.

From my experiunce the kite will not turn as well when depowered on the 5th line, lots of tension. No problems otherwise.

5th line is great for extending the range of your kite using the SS mini cleate, as you can adjust tension on the water.

Having the right kite size up should be first thing.

Cheers.

PhysioRol
Medium Poster

Postby PhysioRol » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:32 pm

thanks

No Idea
Frequent Poster

Postby No Idea » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:57 am

My 5th line snapped on my 06 fuel due to bar wear and flew it 4 lines. I notice quite a difference when gusty or edged hard against the kite as there was no 5th the kite elongates (spelling?) and power from the kite fluctuates. As soon as it was replaced the kite behaved alot better.

Cheers

Return to “Kitesurfing”