How did you get into Kiteboarding?

forum for kitesurfers

Maxkiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

How did you get into Kiteboarding?

Postby Maxkiter » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:13 pm

I think it would be cool to hear how different people got turned onto Kiteboarding. When was the first time you seen it, what turned you on to it? Where were you? How did you get started??? Thanks! :bye:

For me, it was Stuart Beach, FL 2003. Out surfing on some small choppy wind blown waves. One guy came out on a kite and was just having a ball!! I was blown away at that moment. I never got to talk to him, he was gone when I paddled in. Three weeks later, a different guy, who happend to be visiting from Wisconsin was kiting, when he came in, I was that idiot that kept asking a million questions...this guy had the right answer...he just gave me a 2m trainer kite and sent me down the beach!!

When he left, I drove to the only Kiteshop around brought a trainer kite...flew that for a week everyday for hours and hours...then signed up for a lesson, that was it....completly addicted from day one.

First set up was a used Cabrinha 12m Nitro and a Naish Stubby board to learn on!!!!!!

Funny now....all my friends are kiteboarders, we have kiteboard party's, I call the wind-meter 20 times a day, and read Kiteforum all day long!!!!!!!

Hope to hear some cool stories....I know mine is kinda boring....I can imagine some good two-line kitemares, making your own equipment, etc...

Have fun,

Rick :thumb:

Ps. If the guy from Wisconsin reads this....Thanks Jens!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WindRyder
Medium Poster

Postby WindRyder » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:37 pm

I saw Mike Percy kiting in Fort Walton Beach, Florida back in '96 or '97. I was playing doubles volleyball on the beach and wondered, "What the hell is that?" Saw the sport slowly catching hold in the panhandle and didn't fully get into it until last year. Couldn't afford it while in college when I first met Mike, travelled after college, now all I do is spend my money on gear and ride anytime the wind blows.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:55 pm

haha...rick,

i'll say hi to jens for you. he's coming over in a few minutes to talk smack. small world. hey...his picture is on my site at http://www.kiteridersllc.com under the crew section. great guy. how do you guys know each other?

man, i started on a 7.5 - 2 line torque and original 4 line - 14m fuel. the fuel scared the shit out of me at first. used an LFT and one other twin tip. rode my first day, but we were all super nervous the first year.

guys have it so so much easier now.

LFT's and speed were hand in hand. the faster you went, the less you could edge...meaning you'd go faster...and edge less. the massive downwinders...by accident...resulting in huge garage sale crashes were common.

then...i finally figured out...on my own...that getting the fricking kite to the edge of the window, would help me control my speed.

woo hoo. self discovery is great, but i would have paid big bucks for training to learn it from someone else.

came unhooked a bunch of times...by accident. lost kites 2 times. death spirals 2 times. scary stuff.

i still have the original 2 line torques on my garage. if they still work, it would be cool to do a retro day. hell, i still have the LFT also.

bob
http://www.kiteridersllc.com

kiterMD
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 2006 North Vegas 16m, 9m
2006 North Rhino 12m
2007 Flexi Ion2 14.5m
2006 LF Element 140, 2007 Escalades

Postby kiterMD » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:20 pm

First I saw it was the article in Wakeboarding Magazine back in the late '90s, thought it looked cool but I was young and poor. Then the shop in Myrtle Beach, SC started carrying kites and I talked to some of the shop riders about it, still thought it was cool, still couldn't afford it. Then I moved Charleston and watched people kite by on downwinders at Folly Beach. I broke the boat I used for wakeboarding so all I had left with easy access was surfing. I was sitting on the beach with a friend one flat, windy day in spring of '04 and he said "I'll do it if you will." 9 months later I had enough money saved to scratch together a kit from clearance and used gear. 20 odd hours on a trainer and a 6hr lesson with a 12m and I finally hit the water in April 2005 and never looked back. I still wakeboard occasionally with my friends that don't kite, but kiting is easier on the knees. Funny thing, I became a better wakeboarder after kiting for a while, viva cross-training! And of course I still surf when the waves are nice, not so much anymore when they're marginal. Now all I need to do is move somewhere with consistently good wind and waves....

BizB
Frequent Poster

Postby BizB » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:29 pm

I started with stunt kites about 5 years ago.

Four years ago, I discovered the power the wind can generate.

I bought a 3.6 meter HQ Beamer and played with that for many months.

Late in 2004, I saw kiteboarding for the first time. onlyafour was ripping it up for what seemed like forever while I waited on the beach watching for him to come in. When he did finally come in, he answered all my stupid questions and gave me the name of a local shop for gear and lessons. The next weekend, I bought a 16 meter Fuel, a harness and a board. A couple of weeks later, I had my lesson.

In 2005, I sat out most of the season with... I still don't know what caused all that pain in my left flank. When I didn't have the pain, it seemed like I didn't have the right size kite, either. Back then I had a 16 Fuel and a 13 Nemesis. They pretty much overlap.

In 2006, I went all out. I bought a 9, a 20 and a 5 meter kite. I kited every chance I got. I'm forever hooked.

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

kite

Postby islandstylen » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:37 pm

one of my mates got this kite and board setup and taught himself, then decided to give me a go, 18m kite (the smaller one had a hole, so big kite or none) & fairly strong offshore winds made for a fun first go, luckily we had a boat. awesome feeling totally out of control getting dragged across the bay both in and out of the water, hooked forever. I did get proper lessons after my taste.

Neil
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Neil » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:00 pm

My missus bought me a Flexifoil super10 in 2001 which wet my appetite. Saw some pics of some kitesurfing and though it looked mad. Got myself a second hand wipika hydro in 2002 and stuck it up in a field, No idea what all the lines were for and didnt realise you might need a harness, launched it and the wind gave me my first lesson in respect! lucky for me it came with a reride leash which i had stuck on my arm, so i got my kite back.
Let the bruises die down and got myself a couple of lessons with some friends. Been trying to master it since.

Maxkiter
Medium Poster

Postby Maxkiter » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:01 pm

Hey Toyletbowl I doubt that Jens will remember me....but like I said he was so cool....let me fly and Crash his trainer kite all over the beach!

Not sure who I should credit with getting me into kiteboarding...he was the first to let me fly a kite and really answered a lot of questions. So probably is responsible for my addiction!!! Took my first lesson from Jupiter Kiteboarding, with a guy named Hamish...had no idea who he was...then a year later I see photos in Kiteboading Magazine of him just killing it in some competition!!!

Rick :thumb:

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:20 pm

rick,

jens remembered you. that's cool that you had hamish also. amazing rider.

later,

bob

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Stunt kites first, frequently pulling them out on the high end of the windrange. :D Wasn't long before I had a couple of small foils (stacked for more power) and a quad-line stunter called the Revolution "Blast" - power like a 3m trainer, but much more brutal on/off...

Then came buggying (major addiction), but the beaches got too crowded in the summertime. After a snowkite session, had some guys over for drinks and we watched an Ozone vid with some crazy paragliding stuff, I complained about the lack of beach space in the summer for buggying, and a couple of the other guys (who already kitesurfed) talked me into it (plenty of room OFF the beach) - one of them gave me lessons (thanks Mark!) since there were no certified instructors in the area.

Did a lot of reading on safety (thanks RickI) before I fully committed, discovered that my imagination was somewhat worse than the reality - most accidents are preventable, if you avoid unneccessary risks.

Have to laugh at how long I deliberated before buying that first stunter - $45 bucks?!? That's a lot of money for a kite! :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”