Kiteboarding Lines

forum for kitesurfers

ethanknight
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiteboarding Lines

Postby ethanknight » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:09 pm

OK I'm looking to get a discussion going on kite lines. I've seen different strengths/materials/coatings listed out there and want to know what all your experiences are with each.

1. Does anyone feel that there is any advantage to go with 600lb line vs 500lb?

2. I've seen different materials used. What are the better ones and which ones should we all stay away from.

3. I remember Q-line Pro was supposed to be thinner for less drag but heard it was later taken off the market since that was kinda BS. Anyone know anything about this? Any other lines out there that might actually be legit with regards to less drag?

3. Seen some companies talk about coating lines to make them easier to untangle. Any thoughts on this?

4. When you cut your own lines, some lines can just be knoted and others cannot. Which ones are better for each. Also seen like flysurfer for instance splice lines instead of how other brands do it. Whatcha guys think?

5. Any good suggestions for leader lines if there is anything better than what most brands send out with their kites.

Are there any good brands of precut lines out there that you guys like better than others? Any reason why?

Fer1000er
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Takoon

Postby Fer1000er » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:07 pm

Hello there,
I just tried Q-line and Q-line Pro, Quality of those lines are incredible,
personally, I decided for Q-line Pro, because there are less prone to tangle and easy to deal with. Drag is not an issue on either of them.

The reason why I went to Q-line is because Is the only Line I feel I can trust when I'm in remote areas, doing some downwind excursion....also if one line snap you can easly cut and replace it.

I cut it in three difference sizes that allow me to combine the lenght of it for different condition: 17 Meter, 7 Meter and 3 Meter,
the combinations are :

17+7+3=27
17+7=24
17+3=20
7+3=10

I still not understanding why people still bothering with regular lines...yes of course you need a couple of hours to set it up....ideally for no wind days...

Cheers

Fernando

ethanknight
Medium Poster

Postby ethanknight » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:13 am

What kind of differences did you notice in the q-line vs the pro. Diameter/coatings/etc. How long ago did you buy the pro anyways? Can't seem to find much of anybody who sells it anymore.

Fer1000er
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Takoon

Postby Fer1000er » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:04 am

Basically the different is the Diameter, Qline Pro is thinner, looks more like a normal line with some sleeve. I think Q-line Pro is less streching.
My only problem with Q-line original version, was that they were more prone to tangle, this is resolve with PRO model.

I received from the factory 10 days ago..you should email Brian, he is the big Boss....he will tell you how to find it.

bsmith@PowerLine-Sports.com

Go for it, you will not be disappointed.

Cheers.

mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kiteboarding Lines

Postby mx5alan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:44 pm

ethanknight wrote:OK I'm looking to get a discussion going on kite lines. I've seen different strengths/materials/coatings listed out there and want to know what all your experiences are with each.
1. Does anyone feel that there is any advantage to go with 600lb line vs 500lb?
No, unless you weigh over 180lbs
as a guide for safety use lines which are rated a minimum of 2½ times your weight.
2. I've seen different materials used. What are the better ones and which ones should we all stay away from.
?
3. I remember Q-line Pro was supposed to be thinner for less drag but heard it was later taken off the market since that was kinda BS. Anyone know anything about this? Any other lines out there that might actually be legit with regards to less drag?
Don't know any details.. but lighter thinner line will have less drag. Thicker lines will have more weight = more drag which is more noticable in light winds.
3. Seen some companies talk about coating lines to make them easier to untangle. Any thoughts on this?
Would partly disagree, In my experience after using different size lines on all sorts of kites, thinner lines are far more difficult to untangle. Never had any trouble untangling my non coated Peter Lynn lines.
4. When you cut your own lines, some lines can just be knoted and others cannot. Which ones are better for each. Also seen like flysurfer for instance splice lines instead of how other brands do it. Whatcha guys think?
IMO knotted lines are weaker than sewn loops - the knot has full loading before getting to the larkshead. Sewn loops only have the larksheads which take the full loading meaning no weak points.

knots can also get caught on other lines.
5. Any good suggestions for leader lines if there is anything better than what most brands send out with their kites.
Amsteel
Are there any good brands of precut lines out there that you guys like better than others?
Not me, I am very happy with my original Peter Lynn lines.
I know a few people who prefer the Ozone coated lines.

Return to “Kitesurfing”