Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best Waveriding DVD?

forum for kitesurfers

tubular
Rare Poster

Best Waveriding DVD?

Postby tubular » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:16 am

Anyone know of a good instructional wave riding DVD? I know there is one by Mark Shinn, and one by REAL. Or would I learn more from just getting the Future DVD or Spare Change. If anyone has seen both, which did you prefer? I mainly want to learn more about kite position with different wind directions. For example what do do with perfectly side-shore vs. side onshore, offshore.

mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mx5alan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:48 pm

http://www.Kitefilm.com could be the DVD you want... ? 8)
which has a good section on wave riding
would also check out their 'Trick of the week' section on their website.

Spare Change has some good riding in it but isn't the best waves DVD and IMO you wont learn anything from watching it.

zgur
Medium Poster

No one....

Postby zgur » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:58 pm

no one video covers that very well. It takes time and speaking with people who ride in waves.

The best video I think is http://www.hwoodproductions.com/HW_TIII.html its more about wave riding, then what the title implies, and has really unique footage of kiting in side shore wind.

Good winds, Zeev.

gardini
Rare Poster

Postby gardini » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:02 am

you learn to ride waves by riding them.best idea is to go somewhere with good waves & wind.try http://www.perukitecamp.com from may til xmas

No Pump ReQuired
Frequent Poster

Re: No one....

Postby No Pump ReQuired » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:48 am

zgur wrote:no one video covers that very well. It takes time and speaking with people who ride in waves.

The best video I think is http://www.hwoodproductions.com/HW_TIII.html its more about wave riding, then what the title implies, and has really unique footage of kiting in side shore wind.

Good winds, Zeev.
There has not been any real good wave riding DVD's made yet,

lots of vids of guys that get pulled along the faces of a waves, but no real wave riding

NPR

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:55 pm

Soulfly from Peter Throw would have my vote.

http://www.soulflydvd.com/home.php

Lots and lots of waveriding along the south california coast, blessed with strong sideshore winds from the right.
This is one of my favorite ones, but it makes me terribly sad every time I watch it that my local conditions are not that good.

This is strapped waveriding btw, TTs or short directionals, it definitely rocks, and if people claim this is not "surfing" as if they had a divine right to tell what is the right or wrong way to kitesurf, well... just F... them!
What they do in these conditions with their gear is definitely nice.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:04 am

Are there any current waveriding DVDs with extensive crisp clear footage of surf kiting? I have seen a few of the DVDs that focus on surf but the video is usually poor, which may be due to the ocean weather conditions that usually bring good wind. That said, it seems like someone could get out on a reef somewhere (Cabarete?) and take lengthy clear footage of surf kiting.
:?:

For instructional, I think the Real Surf DVD is a good start. Since I have yet to go beyond the knowledge shared there it is good enough for me, but others might want a "Surf Part 2" DVD from Real that takes it to the next level. (there's some other posts on here with specific reveiws on this DVD)

No Pump ReQuired
Frequent Poster

Postby No Pump ReQuired » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:57 am

bragnouff wrote:Soulfly from Peter Throw would have my vote.

http://www.soulflydvd.com/home.php

Lots and lots of waveriding along the south california coast, blessed with strong sideshore winds from the right.
This is one of my favorite ones, but it makes me terribly sad every time I watch it that my local conditions are not that good.

This is strapped waveriding btw, TTs or short directionals, it definitely rocks, and if people claim this is not "surfing" as if they had a divine right to tell what is the right or wrong way to kitesurf, well... just F... them!
What they do in these conditions with their gear is definitely nice.

Soulfly is not a legit kite surfing DVD,

sure P Trow knows how to kiteboard on waves but just not a legitimate kite surfing DVD

and yes , I am claiming my devine right to question this style of wave draging with a kite,

The rest of the real wave surfing world thinks this sort of stuff is a joke

NPR

Dann
Medium Poster

Postby Dann » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:17 am

[quote="No Pump ReQuired

NPR[/quote]

Why don't the 'real' wave surfers make a DVD then?

No Pump ReQuired
Frequent Poster

Postby No Pump ReQuired » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:24 am

Dann wrote:[quote="No Pump ReQuired

NPR
Why don't the 'real' wave surfers make a DVD then?[/quote]

Yes, thanks my point .

Suggest you write to Felix P and complain that he does not have enough vid coverage

Return to “Kitesurfing”