Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing spots in Greeece/Lefkada

forum for kitesurfers

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurfing spots in Greeece/Lefkada

Postby abel » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:16 pm

As many of us I love the greek islands and their winds.
I already kited in Paros, Naxos (terrific winds) and Kos (a bit milder).

Most of the time I vist Greece during June (less crowded :wink: )

I want to visit new spots and consider Lefkada (Lefkas) as a nice possibility, but I red in older posts that kiteboarding is banned there :( :?: .

Any advice about the banning status; wind statistics during second half of June?
BTW I heard that there is a kite event by the end of June, anybody knows what event and its schedules?

abel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby abel » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:27 pm

Nobody nows anything about Lefakda?????

BigR
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby BigR » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:06 am

Abel,

I've not been to Lefakda but from what I have read you are only allowed to kitesurf at the Northern end of the island. Don't worry, apparently that beach where you are allowed is pretty huge.

BTW, I am also going to greece in end of June , specifically to Kos which you mentioned had milder winds. And that is the second time I heard that. I was told that Kos generally was either 12m or 16m kite. Is that true?
I was hoping for 9m and 12m, but I can also take my big board instead of my small board, suggestions?
R

abel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby abel » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:56 pm

BigR wrote:Abel,

BTW, I am also going to greece in end of June , specifically to Kos which you mentioned had milder winds. And that is the second time I heard that. I was told that Kos generally was either 12m or 16m kite. Is that true?
I was hoping for 9m and 12m, but I can also take my big board instead of my small board, suggestions?
R
I trust that for Kos a 12 SLE is the only kite you'll need, BUT I never would take the risk to travel to a distant spot without ALL the possible quiver, so I wouldn't recommend to save weight or space in the suitcase :) .

Another advantage of Kos is that if (given the worst case) just the day you fly, the forcast shows a long still in Kos, then you can take a ferry to Rhodes for better conditions.

In Koss I recommend to stay in Tigaki at Seaside apartments (just 30 mts in the front of the beach! away from all the people and umbrellas).

Enjoy your staying in Kos :thumb:

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:32 am

Lefkada banned? How do rumors like that start? Maybe it's not allowed at Vasaliki, but you wouldn't want to kite there anyway. Check out
http://www.milosbeach.gr/ for the current conditions.

Got 3/3 days there over the Easter holiday. Here's a photo of one of them. 20-25mph and just an empty beach.
Attachments
DSC_0139.jpg
DSC_0139.jpg (56.45 KiB) Viewed 1846 times

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:41 am

Yes, there's usually a low-key kite competition and kite party in Lefkada at end of June. It's Greece so don't expect it to be announced to far ahead of time.

I don't know Kos, but I wouldn't travel anywhere in the Aegean without a small (5m) kite.

Dufik
Rare Poster

Lefkada

Postby Dufik » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:55 am

Have been on Lefkada last year, planning to go again in july

You can kite on 2 spots on Lefkada
- Vasiliki - open sea, big waves
- Agios Nikolaos - flat, waves are crushed by the corals

Winds are really great, if thermic works, every day from 13:00 till 20:00 there is steady wind. From 14 days I kited 11 days. 70% of time I rode on 10m (70kg).

abel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby abel » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:29 pm

Satan wrote:Lefkada banned? How do rumors like that start? Maybe it's not allowed at Vasaliki, but you wouldn't want to kite there anyway. Check out
http://www.milosbeach.gr/ for the current conditions.

Got 3/3 days there over the Easter holiday. Here's a photo of one of them. 20-25mph and just an empty beach.
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:55 am Post subject: Lefkada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have been on Lefkada last year, planning to go again in july

You can kite on 2 spots on Lefkada
- Vasiliki - open sea, big waves
- Agios Nikolaos - flat, waves are crushed by the corals

Winds are really great, if thermic works, every day from 13:00 till 20:00 there is steady wind. From 14 days I kited 11 days. 70% of time I rode on 10m (70kg).

Empty beach ?????? :o :o :o
Wow man....WHAT A WAIST !

I have to correct the situation ! I'm going there. That's it.

Thank you

Dionisis
Medium Poster

Postby Dionisis » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:09 am

Satan wrote:Yes, there's usually a low-key kite competition and kite party in Lefkada at end of June. It's Greece so don't expect it to be announced to far ahead of time.

I don't know Kos, but I wouldn't travel anywhere in the Aegean without a small (5m) kite.
i heard the same for the last summer. A friend of mine told me that in Lefkada they have done a small kite competition.
However kites to be banned from a Greek island seems strange to me. You can go if you want in the most crowded beach and windsurf or kite if you want here near in Athens, so i think in Lefkada it would apply the same...

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:36 am

Well, I wondered how such completely incorrect rumors get started. This thread is case and point.

Vasaliki is not a kite beach. It's a popular windsurfing beach. The beach is in a small horseshoe shaped bay. The wind is a thermic katabatic wind that blows down one mountain and up the mountain on the other side of the bay. This beach really has nothing to offer kitesurfers except death.

The only beach (it's a big sandy one) on the island of Lefkada that is suitable for kitesurfing is Agios Ionis (St. John's).

The peak season is August. It's also packed (it's a big beach though) with Italian kitesurfers at that time as well. June/July are usually pretty sweet as well. Last year July wasn't that good, but that's not normal. Last year April had wind just about every day. It's a windy place, but unlike the Aegean the wind is usually a more reasonable speed.

If you're on a budget, pack a tent and wake up beachfront.

Return to “Kitesurfing”