Is it worth taking advanced lessons?

forum for kitesurfers

TheBRD
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Is it worth taking advanced lessons?

Postby TheBRD » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:41 am

Im looking to take my riding to the next level....aerial handlepass trick to be specific....i've kind of hit a wall...and living in the bahamas there is no one here on that next level....im considering going up to hatteras to take some lessons...is it worth it or should i keep watching videos and try it until i get it???

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:14 am

I would say YES....

Here my little story ....

Been trying to do rotations for a while now ... and one day a friend who was injured was watching me kiting at the beach ..... and within 10 minutes with his advices I was able to nail the trick in no time .

So if you have somebody who can tell you what to do or not it is far more easy than trying x times by yourself.

Saludos

kovacs
Medium Poster

Re: Is it worth taking advanced lessons?

Postby kovacs » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:37 am

TheBRD wrote:Im looking to take my riding to the next level....aerial handlepass trick to be specific....i've kind of hit a wall...and living in the bahamas there is no one here on that next level....im considering going up to hatteras to take some lessons...is it worth it or should i keep watching videos and try it until i get it???
Maybe it is worth trying to take it on video camera and then examine in slow motion?

jesserichman
Medium Poster

Postby jesserichman » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:20 pm

Hey man,

I think that if you want to really learn the trick and want to have a fun time go for a trip. But if you want to land a handlepass with out spending any money at home then give it a bit more time and practise.

The Sent pass can be diffuclt to learn however its all about the mothion. What you want to do is think about getting te bar to your hip. Then quicky rotate around grapping the bar before the bar gets away from you.

I am sure if you spend a little more time you will get it. Also, maybe try doing a little 180. Just like a hop to blind to get the feal.

Well good luck and I hope I was helpful

Jesse

freezorburn
Medium Poster

Postby freezorburn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:31 pm

NOT CALLED LESSONS.

When you get to the Expert levels it's called TRAINING and yes coaching is always important!

jimmyc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jimmyc » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:35 pm

I'd say YES, but not for the aerial pass.

I've taken advanced lessons from Real and from Dimitri Maramenides. They were all great lessons and I learned a ton. Prior to my last two lessons my intent, as yours, was to learn the aeiral handlepass. And I stated that. I pretty much was told taking a lesson for that is a waste of time and money. Dimitri flat out said the aerial pass is not the mark of a good rider and that it was more "monkey man" stuff. He said practice on a bar and a trampoline for a while and you will get it. Pointing to a friend of his who he said I was a much better rider, but that the friend spent a week on D's trampoline setup and was able to get the aerial HPs soon thereafter on the water. The response from Sam Bell at Real a few years ago was similar, he advised getting it nailed on land with a hanging bar first.

The YES is because I did learn a slew of other advanced stuff though, such as indy tantrums and landing blind. Things that were somewhat elusive to me. So for that, it was definitely worthwhile for me.

Hope this helps and good luck! :thumb: :bye:

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:51 pm

Jim,

Sorry to hear that you were injured.

What happened and how long will you be out of action?

Ed

jimmyc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jimmyc » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:37 pm

Sorry, don't mean to commandeer this thread, but to answer the question...

Ed,

This is going to be long, but since it has meant a big change in my life, I have much to tell...

The short of it is I tore the medial meniscus on my right knee. Unfortunately I did it in September of 06, but did not have surgery until the end of February 07, which is the reason I am still sidelined now. I was lucky (depending on how you look at it) in that the tear was in the vascular region (red & red/white zones) of the meniscus, which is a repairable area. Typically you tear the non-vascular area and part of the meniscus is just removed. However this sets you up for more pain, arthiritis and eventual knee replacement if they remove enough of the meniscus. So, the fact that it was repairable was fortunate. However, unfortunately the meniscal repair comes with 7-12 months of rehab whereas a partial menisectomy (removing part of it) takes 6-8 weeks. The reason is even though the "red zone" has blood flow, it is very minimal and thus takes a very long time to heal thoroughly. So, in the long run it is much better to have the meniscus repaired. In the short term it means I'll miss most of or all of the 2007 kiteboarding season.

How I did it...plain bad form. For some reason I always send the kite on an S-bend. And despite many attempts to correct this, I was never able to. Once I sent the kite so much I ended up doing an S-bend kiteloop (albeit an ugly one). But because of that I had the notion that I would just commit to pulling the trigger a bit more and would do s-bend kiteloops instead of bad dangly straight s-bends. In September I went for one, except went off a wave and got much higher than I ever have...which messed me up a bit and I didn't commit enough on the kiteloop. So, the kite ended up to one side and then crashed. Unsupported in the aire, I came down hard and tried to land on my board (BIG MISTAKE!!). I basically landed very hard and flat and crumbled over my board. If I had only landed on my butt things would probably be very different. And, if only the story ended here things might be different as well. So, I relaunched and rode back upwind to the launch site. The knee was sore but not horrible and by the time I got to where I launched from my knee was feeling better. So on my last run in I figured I'd end the day on a high note and did a raley to blind. All I heard and felt was a big POP in the knee! Stupid!!!

The 1st MRI was fairly inconclusive and it was recommended I lay off the knee for a month then do rehab. Which I did. During rehab my knee felt better for a while, but then around December it took a turn for the worse. 2nd MRI showed possible ACL tear and definite meniscus tear. It took til Feb to have surgery. Luckily the ACL was found to be intact. So, after being on crutches for 6 weeks, in a brace for 2 more and starting rehab 2 weeks ago...I have a right leg that resembles something from a chicken and a knee that doesn't and can't be bent past 90 degrees until late May.

Hopefully I'll be back by late August or September.

My new mantra is "When in doubt, land on your butt". :thumb: :thumb:

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:43 pm

Hey Jimmy sorry to hear about your bad luck there! :(

Sounds like you really go for it and from what I've read ain't exactly a young pup!! :D

Get well soon, the new mantra sounds like a good one! :wink:

TheBRD
Rare Poster

Postby TheBRD » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:32 pm

thanks for the good advice....are there any good schools for advanced lessons other than Real kiteboarding

Return to “Kitesurfing”