Tribals Rolling! HELP F-one users!

forum for kitesurfers

cheddaz
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Tribals Rolling! HELP F-one users!

Postby cheddaz » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:22 pm

HELP!!!! I've been using my 13m Tribal 1 now for 6 months and I am finding a few problems that I don't know if are technique based or actually issues with the Kite design.

This is an issue with relaunching the kite when it has swung down wind of me.

I pull the 5th line and it rolls on its back nicely as it says on the tin.

Then you bring it round to the side and before you know the whole kite lifts off the water (before it has fully reached the side) and then wraps itself around itself (5th line Y bridal around the centre) meaning that you have to do the emergency packdown.

I have also had it that when you pull the 5 line it goes on its back, then immediately lifts off the water and then rolls over when it touches back on the water.

I know all kites do this occasionally but why does this happen so frequently with my Tribal. I reckon this is happening to me 1 out of every 2 times i crash the kite.

I am trying to learn unhooked stuff and so mentally I am desperate not to drop the kite which is affecting my desire to stretch myself because I don't want yet another pack down/line detangle AGAIN!!!!

I've tried

pulling the 5th line in - then immediately letting it out again.
pulling the 5th line in then keeping it in until the kite reaches the side of the window without much success.

I need your help please!!!!!

Me, Settings, Technique or Kite????

What do I do... (currently in off shore conditions with rescue boat nearby so i'm racking up the rescue fees because of this problem!)

(line lengths are all okay)

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Sandy Point
Favorite Beaches: Pt Danger, Torquay, Aust.
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.
Style: freeride/waves
Gear: Zeeko Krush 12m, 9m, Notus3 10m.
Bhoot130x 39 TT, Zeeko Slash surfboard
Brand Affiliation: Naish, Zeeko.
Location: Victoria, Australia./instr+retailer www.krakentours.com

Postby RAL INN » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:05 am

What you describe is indicative of low wind situations.

also try adjusting the lifeline stopper so as to leave some tension on the front lines. This keeps kite on water stopping it lifting.

Another trick is to pass the the lifeline in front of the front line Y point, this causes the lifeline to pull down a bit on the front lines when activated.

Also make sure the lifeline is not binding and can play out easily.

sometimes currents can drag enough on lines to place enough pressure as to cause the kite to think the 5th is being pulled. This happens to 4 line kites as well, and can even cause Bridled kites to nose over and drop into the dreaded downwind nose forward position.

Hope that helps.

cheddaz
Rare Poster

Postby cheddaz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:19 pm

Ray Thanks for that.

I think the stopper ball may be the key - not sure how to change the stopper ball to an new position as I believe it is not screwed in but just sits where the pig tails of the yellow line end.

Not sure I can buy another stopper ball as Tobago has no kiteshops.

The problem also has happened in high winds too but agreed it does happen most at lower wind speeds. Currently sitting by the beach on YET another windless holiday in the Carib. Possibly hence all the inversions!!!

Yeah think I've always had the lifeline in front of the Y front attachments (if I understand what you mean)

The lifeline is binding indeed. Don't know how to fix it. Tried putting surfboard wax on it but had little-to-no effect on smoothing it through. any thoughts. Maybe replacing it with Dynema line at some point??

Thanks again.

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:29 pm

i have the same problem with my 11m even when the wind is strong. but the "Y" of the 5th just slides of and then i get crossed lines so i need to kite back and reconect the lines

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Sandy Point
Favorite Beaches: Pt Danger, Torquay, Aust.
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.
Style: freeride/waves
Gear: Zeeko Krush 12m, 9m, Notus3 10m.
Bhoot130x 39 TT, Zeeko Slash surfboard
Brand Affiliation: Naish, Zeeko.
Location: Victoria, Australia./instr+retailer www.krakentours.com

Postby RAL INN » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:02 am

low winds or high winds if your lines get slack enough then the kite will get picked up by the wind.

if you see this happening, ie: the kite getting lifted, then quickly pull in the lifeline. tension on the life line will stop it rolling.

Actually I think I may have dislexia-aixelsyd when I said front it may have meant to be back. confused to front in the way I'm facing or back in the way the kites facing, or that might be the other way round in the Northern Hemisphere.

bounce
Rare Poster

Tribal rolling

Postby bounce » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:41 pm

Hi,

I have both a 9 and a 15 T1, and I have experienced this, but not often and always in very low wind.

I think (part of) the trick is that I pull the lifeline very carefully until the kite has tilted to vertical while controlling the kite by holding pressure on one steering line. When it is vertical and has most of the leading edge out of the water it will normally travel slowly to the edge of the window while I adjust the kite angle with the lifeline in one hand (letting slowly out) and the steering line in the other (holding tight).

(All this is mostly instinct, - but I think this is how I do it...)

Return to “Kitesurfing”