Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

reinserting LE bladder without twisting?

Forum for kitesurfers
Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

reinserting LE bladder without twisting?

Postby Dave K » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:28 pm

Every time I use kite line to do reinsert a bladder (leading edge or strut) I always end up twist depsite talcum powder and kneeding. Seems like I need a flexible rod (bendable but doesn't twist itself) for pulling to keep the bladder from twisting. Just curious what they do in production to get a "twist free" install? They must have something fast and consistent.

Thanks in advance -Dave

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ScottM » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:37 pm

flexible rod sounds like the ticket.... watch Metropolis, seems like the rods are the method used! :thumb:

devin
Frequent Poster

Postby devin » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:59 pm

i had a kite which liked to make me patch it every second session or so, so my dad and i got very good at pulling the bladder out and puting it back in.
what we would do (the secret to not having twisted bladders is two people) was to tie one kite line around the left tip of the bladder then pull it out the right hand side. immediately once the bladder is out the right hand side double it back over its self so the right hand tip of the bladder ends up on the left tip of the kite.
from here, do your repairs/inspections on the safety of the canopy anywhere; beach, snow, field. when puting the bladder back in have one person pull gently on the string and the other feed the bladder back through the right hand side with their hand/s acting as a guide so the bladder turns 180 degrees and enters the bladder flat (or however it came out, assuming that's the way you want the bladder back in).
once the bladder is back in be absolutly sure that it reaches right to the tips of the LE, preferable with a little extra bladder in the end. i made the mistake too many times of doubling the bladder back on its self because it looked like there was too much material. i had numerous pops right in the tips when it was doubled over.

best of luck :bye:

lalawyer
Frequent Poster

Postby lalawyer » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Take a look at the Best website Forum. I did a post on this and a reader posted a video link on how to do it properly.

Regards,
Scott

iKite
Medium Poster

Postby iKite » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:18 pm

After carefull insertion just pump it up half way and tap it alot, all along LE. Deflate and repeat, thwn pump up fully, should be sound

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi Dave

I gues I have installed hundreds, maybe even a thousand or more bladders, and I never get a twist anymore since I switched to this method.

There are two tools, I've made that I use, and I never use string anymore, string will give you the twistshits.

First tool was a 1M x 4mm round section fibreglass rod to which I taped a rectangle of cardboard that would fit through the tip opening of the leading edge/tip bladder I'm working on.
I then tape the bladder to the cardboard with ordinary packing tape. I make a mark on the bladder to indicate which side is up, so I can double check when I pull it out that it has not twisted.
As you push the bladder along the leading edge, you can feel with your hand that the bladder is not twisting.

Second tool, which is what I use most is a 3M long piece of "yellow tongue" which is a flat section plastic that is used to join flooring sheets.
Its approx 2cm wide rectangular cross section.
I tape the bladder to the end with packing tape and push it into the leading edge, holding the end as I push to ensure it does not twist, and I mark the bladder for double checking as well.

Inflate to 75%, and massage any slight misalignments out and make sure you talc the bladder first.

Cya and

goodwinds

steve

Wallrat
Frequent Poster

Postby Wallrat » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:30 am

I've always used string + 2 people. The 2nd person needs to guide the bladder into the LE nice n' flat. Then after you get the bladder in, just pump it up until the LE just barely starts to take shape (i.e. it has air in it end to end but not enough pressure to lift off the ground). Kneed along the entire length from the center out to both wing tips. Then deflate and reinflate. I usually do this at least twice, then take it up to about 75% full, kneed again and deflate. After that, take it up to 100% slowly, looking for any uneven spots. I've never had a twist using this method although I could definately see the advantage to using a fiberglass rod.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:30 am

Thanks guys. Steve, I'll go with your method since no help available. Home Depot should have my "tools".

Arms spent from two great (but coldish) north wind days down in Waves, OBX. Exercising my bladder(s) is about all I have energy for today :lol:

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:35 am

well, just use a string or your lines. You know, tie them to the ends when pulling out the bladder (each end)

use a shit load of baby powder when putting bladder back.
Fold up the bladder starting from the center, fold each end after the other is in the kite.after you and a friend have pulled the bladder half's into the kite, stretch out the kite and shake it (you one side, friend on the other)
pump up bladder a bit, shake it again, twist it a bit until bladder is straight.

when doing that, leave the ends of kite open

no need for a stick or batten or something.

if it's a one pump system...burn it!

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:56 am

BullsShit.com wrote: if it's a one pump system...burn it!
LOL's

No need to burn them, they are actually easier, although they take longer because of the need to connect all the hoses and clips.
There are some kites I would recommend to burn, but thats too political for me to say! :lol:
Because of all the nipples, they are easier to line aup and easier to prevent a twist, and have never seen a one pump kite with a hernia type blowout caused by a twist. So there is good and bad about them, way more good in my book especially pumping them up!!!!

The method I have described above means one person can install a LE bladder on their own, I do it all the time, even one pump bladders.

Just fold the bladder concertina style at the centre opening of the LE and keep you eye on it as you pull the bladder in with the "tool". The tool can be as short as 50cm, it is a very quick way to put bladders in, and is the same way that it is done in the factories!

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Return to “Kitesurfing”