Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How do I get more height with an unhooked kiteloop?

forum for kitesurfers

cuica
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

How do I get more height with an unhooked kiteloop?

Postby cuica » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:54 pm

I was trying unhooked kiteloops today - both hands on one end of the bar, and I was getting lots of horizontal acceleration but not much height.

Is there a way to get more height? I get the feeling that because I am unhooked and the kite is rotating faster, that this is why I'm not getting much height off the water.

Also because when I was unhooked it was much harder to hold an edge and I couldn't pop hard...

Any suggestions much appreciated.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:01 pm

I'm aboslutely no expert in this as my unhooked kiteloops are pretty lame, and with not too much heigt...but here's my take on it anyhow:

I think first of all, you have to be more comfortable riding unhooked with more power in the kite..I'm getting there. Secondly I think we, beginning unhooked kiteloopers, tend to unhook too early and loose a lot of power and put too much effort on our arms that way...

So, I think get some speed on you board, but don;t loose power in your kite, unhook, rise /send the kite from 45 degrees to the top (the harder the higher), just before the kite peaks and pulls you off, edge hard (but not too hard), and pop (if you're rolling at the same time throw your head), and switch front arm to back of bar....the harder you send the kite in the first place, the higher it will take you while looping....and the hard the punishment will be from not landing it :-)

Using a small kite will increase the whip. If you keep your front arm on the right side of the bar, you can better control the depth of the loop....I ALWAYS fail while trying this because I back out. I've ended up using a fishpole hold on the bar pretty much everytime I try this....

A.

prep
Frequent Poster

Postby prep » Tue May 01, 2007 3:20 am

if you cant hold your edge your either really overpowered or not getting your timing right

dont unhook to early. get the kite in the right spot, unhook, edge upwind and commit to it.

on smaller kite and short lines is much more fun. it will whip you like crazy

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 01, 2007 9:01 am

edge hard and jump off the water. and maybe send it from before the zenith, not behind

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Tue May 01, 2007 11:02 am

+ move your hands closer to the centre of the bar, you'll get a bigger loop but a bigger spanking too :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”