Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

100's of Jellyfishes @ El Coche (and 1000's egs)

forum for kitesurfers

SurfboY
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Brouwersdam/Vrouwenpolder/Oostvoorne/Krabbendijke, NL
Surfers Paradise, BE
Favorite Beaches: El Coche, Ras Sudr
Style: Wake-,Freestyle
Gear: Naish kites, Nobile board, Mystic harnass and ION wetsuit. I like!
Brand Affiliation: http://www.xkiting.com

100's of Jellyfishes @ El Coche (and 1000's egs)

Postby SurfboY » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:07 am

They are quit a lot of jellyfishes at Coche, and thousands of egs at the moment. Does anyone know how long this reproducing will take place and when they all leave? I don't understand why they choosed that place to reproduce, don't ask me how many get killed everyday with those nice fins of the boards.

So who's a jellyfish experct? Are they going to stay there forever? They ruin this paradise spot at the moment a little bit...

As long as they don't get so big !!! :

Tommyboy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Tommyboy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:26 am

is that a picture of the actual jellies in Coche? If so DAMN!!! Those some big mf'rs! :o

SurfboY
Very Frequent Poster
Surfers Paradise, BE

Postby SurfboY » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:42 am

Tommyboy wrote:is that a picture of the actual jellies in Coche? If so DAMN!!! Those some big mf'rs! :o
No that's just a huge jelly I found, thought it would fit in the topic :lol: No in Coche some are really huge, but not like the picture. And you have like ... every 10m one. And thousands of egs.. that promises?

ianbne
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Freeriding

Postby ianbne » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:11 am

We have thousands and thousands of the Blue Blubber Jellyfish here in Brisbane, Australia, they hang around for our whole season and there seems to be more around this season gone as the water temp was much higher than it has been in the past.
We have lived with them for the past 7 years so my recommendation is to not fall in .

I've attached a photo of how thick they get here , photo was in mid November 2006

Cheers
Ian
Attachments
IMGP0553JellyFish.jpg
IMGP0553JellyFish.jpg (93.75 KiB) Viewed 1586 times

Dann
Medium Poster

Postby Dann » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:36 am

Yikes. Do those guys sting?

jesserichman
Medium Poster

Postby jesserichman » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:48 am

aww dude, I remember kiting in Coche, When you fall you feal this slim go acrost you and the it stings like hell. I have no idea about them just remember to pee on your self where you get stung.

Well hope you stay dry for your next session.

Jesse :D

Innis
Medium Poster

Re: 100's of Jellyfishes @ El Coche (and 1000's egs)

Postby Innis » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:01 pm

SurfboY wrote: I don't understand why they choosed that place to reproduce...
I think it's the same reason why it's such an easy place to kite: Flat calm water with no rollers coming through at Playa La Punta. It's probably the same at Cubagua right now.

Try the rougher waters of Oasis Beach or El Coco. If you're on Margarita you can take a boat to Kite Beach or Pirate Beach and do downwinders to El Yaque (less hassle and less time consuming than the ferry to El Coche).

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Eduardo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:14 pm

other than the 'don't fall in' advice, you can also try lyrca pants. the tight ones look a little gay but they also make looser/baggy.

zarmple
Medium Poster

Postby zarmple » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:02 pm

Experiments indicate that in some jellyfish species, urine actually sets off the remaining stinging cells, making the sting even worse.

but, the point of any rinse is to get rid of any remaining tentacles or other jellyfish tissue that might still harbor stinging cells, or nematocysts, which could still fire and make the sting worse. (These cells, which are all over jellyfish, contain a tiny poison dart that shoots out at a touch or because of a chemical reaction; thousands of them typically fire simultaneously.) For the aforementioned reason, urine is a terrible candidate for the job.

Urine and vinegar share similar properties yet urine consists of water, urea, creatine, uric acid and inorganic ions, such as sodium and chloride. whilst salt water maintains the neutralisation of the stinging cells, fresh water (which is what urine would be closest to) would cause any undischarged cells to fire causing additional stings.

SurfboY
Very Frequent Poster
Surfers Paradise, BE

Postby SurfboY » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:37 pm

Yea I did some research ong jellyfishes... It's like on that picture above... you see them everywhere :( And I want to crash... because I want to learn new tricks...

Do someone know how long they stay in Coche? Because 5 weeks ago it wasn't like this. Looks like egs are released a couple of days ago and the big ones are all dead somehow lying on the beach.

Return to “Kitesurfing”