Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Riding WLF upwind

forum for kitesurfers

SLCMunchie
Rare Poster

Riding WLF upwind

Postby SLCMunchie » Tue May 01, 2007 3:58 pm

i bought a used liquid force WLF for those light days. it's a few years old model, 2005 i believe. i thought the rails looked a little rounded to me, but figured if someone else rode it for 2 years, it couldnt' be all that bad. i had my first real light wind day on it yesterday. i just couldn't seem to keep it upwind! in the lulls, i didn't have enough power to stay upwind, and in the gusts i couldn't seem to keep it on tack to go upwind it just didn't have the bite. bigger fins could be an issue, but i ride in a shallow mudd filled "lake" half of the time and those big fins get just a bit too grabby.

is there some sort of technique to staying upwind on the WLF? am i perhaps not "railing" the board enough? i don't think i was losing to much ground, but i couldnt' seem to gain any either.

any 2005 140 WLF input would be appreciated.

kiterfreak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiterfreak » Tue May 01, 2007 8:02 pm

I use ti have the 130. Great board. Your situation is just not enough wind.

frez
Medium Poster

Postby frez » Tue May 01, 2007 8:27 pm

The usual questions spring to mind:- Your weight, kite and wind conditions.

I had a WLF (sold it to make a quick buck which I now regret). Holding ground on both a North Rhino 4 or an LF M80-20 in 9.5 knots (I weigh 80 kg). 10 knots was good for upwind progress.

There are better light wind boards out there these days but in 05 it was pretty good.

The width will make it tend to come off edge real easy when the gusts hit so you have to be ready to dig in a bit. Work that back foot to ensure you are pointing upwind in the gusts and pile the pressure on. By doing this and getting the kite forward in the window during gusts should haul you upwind no probs.

During lulls I tended to keep my weight right over the board to use the whole planing area. That meant keeping the rail engaged but putting more pressure on the front foot (ball not heel).

Practice makes perfect!

ckramer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ckramer » Tue May 01, 2007 10:07 pm

I had 2006 model...
I think you have to be more aggressive with this board due to the fact that it is very wide and stiff. I changed mine for a 2007 666EXT
I loved the WLF but at first I had to get used to it before I managed to startd edging hard to go upwind. Mine had decentered inserts which really help. I also found a wider stance to help a lot but maybe that's a personal thing. Try being aggressive, stomp your back foot to make it ding in the water.

Patrickm86
Medium Poster

Postby Patrickm86 » Wed May 02, 2007 1:42 am

I have the 2006. It is harder to go upwind than most boards I think. Maybe because of the rocker. And Probably because it is harder to edge due to the width.

alex 1
Rare Poster

140 wlf

Postby alex 1 » Thu May 03, 2007 7:52 am

i have the 140wlf; there could be something that might help ja- put the kite a bit more above u than used- i use it with my slingshot machine 20.5- and point the tip of the board a few degrees more upwind than you are used to- even if you are "sliding" a bit sideways- with this technique it is easy to go upwind-

maybe you have to get a steady puller kite with big grunt? i can go upwind as soon as i can leave the kite in one position; as long as you have to steer it permanently you cannot go upwind well...

cheers
alex

SLCMunchie
Rare Poster

Postby SLCMunchie » Thu May 03, 2007 2:34 pm

thanks for the tips. i was on a poorly designed kite ( rhymes with indwing apture). i think this may be part of the problem. i've taken care of this. the other is just my lack of experience and lack of practice. i was out on tuesday night in good winds powered on my 12 meter and 134x36 board. i was struggling to go upwind on thsi as well. i fixed my stance and hopefully should have it all dialed in next time i go out. i just chaulked the lack of upwindability to the board since my experienced buddy rode the board and was having the same problems. perhaps it is 50% the board and 50% the rider.... i'm used to snow riding on skis where you just think about going upwind and zip upwind you go.

anyway, thanks for the tips. i'll see what happens next time i'm out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”