Thruster 12 review

forum for kitesurfers

curranj
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Thruster 12 review

Postby curranj » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:51 pm

I finally got a chance to ride the 12 Thruster in the water and here's what I think. The kite is very stable as with all bridled kites. It flies much like a c kite but handles the gusts much better. The wind range of this kite is awesome. I rode in 20 gusting to high 20's (knots). The kite was very fast, like a 9m and the jumps are insane. The kite has a lot of lift, expecially when you sheet in the bar after takeoff. Relauch is even easier than a fifth line. Well built solid kite.

CameraGuy
Medium Poster

Postby CameraGuy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:24 am

yes the thruster is a great kite, but what it that much cooler is no one is riding them yet. if you are lucky enough to have a quiver you are super stoked not only on the balanced yet hella boosty feel but they are the under dog company who is slowly kicking the ass of big names. The thruster design has taken all that is good from the other companies kites and made it into one package without the extra unneeded parts. Hype,BS and hot chicks in bikinnis (or was that Dimitri in a bikinni- shit?) can only sell kites for so long before people figure it out what works- this kite works the only ad these guys need is for few riders to begin sharing info -thus this is why the forums are filled with Eclipse reviews.

the customer service with this group 10 years ahead of the SS or Cabs of the world.

needless i have a quiver on order- the moment i tried this kite i was sold.

hopefully no reads this so i can sell my Fuels/octane quiver

peace

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:30 pm

We are currently sold clean out of thrusters in the UK. We have done a bit of pimping , but credit where credit is due and after each demo everyone is always hugely impressed.
Last edited by kitesurfwarehouse on Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:45 am

Just thought I'd add to this review. I've been riding the 12m Thruster for a little over a week now. I've had it up in underpowred, powered, and overpowered conditions.

First off I had about six (who's counting) full sessions on this kite before I bought it. Dimitri was here in Athens doing demos. I demoed the hell out of the 12m Thruster. With the price of kites, I figured I'd get as good of a feel for the kite as I could.

To the review, in a nutshell, f-ing awesome kite. It's very stable. It will not back fly or stall even when you screw up a move or kite directly downwind after a kiteloop. The boosting is amazing. If you want to go huge, this is the kite for you. The low end power is amazing if your coming from a C-kite and probably what you'd expect if you're coming from a flat SLE. The turning is great. The kite turns a like a kite size smaller then any other kite I've ever ridden. Combine that with the excellent low end and light to moderate wind kiting becomes much more fun. The fast turning and light bar pressure makes hooked in kiteloops much easier to control. The bar pressure is minimal. If your coming from C-kites, it will take a couple sessions to get use to, but try going back to your C kite afterwards and you're C-kite will feel like a tank. Sort of like that feeling when you've been riding a 10m kite for a few days and the wind drops and you got to rig a 16m.

What this kite isn't. Contrary to what was posted above, this kite does not feel like a C-kite. The kite has way more low end power then a C-kite. It has way more life. It has way more depower and hence powres up much more when you unhook. It has less grunt (but still enough to do my wake tricks). It has way less bar pressure. If you think this is a good thing, get it. You won't be disappointed. If you think that's a bad thing, it's not the kite for you. If you want a kite with minimal depower and don't want to boost huge jumps, then you want a kick ass C-kite. Go with the Yarga. I rode it yesterday. It's very nice, but in a completely different way then the Thruster.

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:57 am

Even our Demo thruster , is away , so it has been a few weeks since i have flown one. Managed to blag a go on a friends 12m Thruster. You forget just how fast it really is, and the jumps were superb... even in the light winds.

One of our Dealers told us recently , that their customers who have been buying the Thrusters have all been used flying to the big names over the years, but have changed to eclipse and are getting those butterflies in the the stomach again before going out.

But hey.... Just try one and you will know what i am on about

http://www.kitesurfwarehouse.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”