Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Thorn 07 /Nobile 666 which size to choose?

forum for kitesurfers

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None

Thorn 07 /Nobile 666 which size to choose?

Postby Ludmil » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:43 am

Hi all,
Currently I`m riding Sol 06 130/39,5 - 73 kilos unhooked mostly and I`ve been thinking to get a new board. Sofar I`m focused upon these two options just my concerns are about the size I should get if taken in consideration that the Sol has very good low end.

If I choose Nobile 666 wich size perfomace wise would be comparable with the Sol? -129 seems small but 132 is a bit too large...

As for the Thorn I assume that 131 could be the right size to replace - what you think?

Your input would be greatly apreciated.

Regards,
L.

P.S. I cannot test the Nobile.
Last edited by Ludmil on Wed May 02, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:59 am

I think you'll get a lot of good reviews on both these boards. The same as you have not tried the Nobile, but I have the Thorn 131, and absolutely love it. I was considering the Nobile, but there was no way for me to demo it either, and I didn't get any reply from the distributor..I think they were not really started up then...anyhooo...

Compared to the 06 SOL I think it feels quite a lot the same while turning, but has more pop. It has a gradual flex, with the mid section a lot less flexy and the tips quite flexy. The board is fast and cuts chop very well. In addition it feels a little lighter on my feet than the 06 SOL. I think this board is really good..as you might understand by now. It feels really strong, and many times when I have messed up coming down too hard I'm thinking that was it for the board..but it holds up well...I'm not saying it is indestructible, but it has held my 200lb no problem...even after I broke a fin..not a dent in the board.... In addition to the overall SOL feel that you know I also like the GRAV-D1 footstraps and the anti splash tip. It actually works. :-)

my 5 cents..sorry, I have not tried the Nobile so no comparison from me.

A.

surferazul
Medium Poster

boards 2007-2008 (freestyle)

Postby surferazul » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Well, actually most selling size last year was 128x38 wich i think is great for average riders and as 1quiver board.
Personally y like the 130size, but i would go even for 132 or 134.
I work for pkra and the boys are almost all using 130 to 136 (for wider stances.)
I mean a 128-130 is the right choice for a stance of 40 (meassured screw to screw between the two closest ones from a strap to another)

if you want to go wider 42 to 44 stance then u need to keep the same lenght from the front screw of the strap to the tip end, thats why a 132 to 134 is a good choice. It is not too big, u feel good in a couple of rides and trow less water to your face and goes upwind more controlled, landing jumps is better too.

so i mean 130 to 136 is the right choice at the moment. Boards will stay on this sizes next in the coming years, now the sport is finding balance.

Dufik
Rare Poster

Postby Dufik » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:35 pm

I was dealing with exactly the same situation as you. I had demo Thorn 07, but not Nobile 666. I knew one think - I was looking for aggresive high performance freestyle board and after many recomendations I decided to buy 666.
Thorn 07 is something between 555 and 666. 666 is the top, the best of freestyle board, no excuses. Thorn is a bit more user-friendly, easier to ride and better on waves but still very good high level board.
I ride 666 129 size and it's amazing for all winds, I have 71 kg...

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Ludmil » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:00 pm

Thx alot guys,
...but I still feel little confused about the sizes maybe I should get Thorn 134 or 666 -132/price depending- the brand is not an issue/ altough they are bigger than my current board .
BTW does anyone knows wich size rides Rui, Kevin or someone who is teamrider of Nobile?

Regards,
L.

Mo
Frequent Poster

Postby Mo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:58 pm

Both boards are good.

I tried the Thorn sometime ago and a nice board to have.

However, I got mself a Nobile 666 129 x 39. I did not get used to it on the first day but from the second day on, I'm in love with it. The boards ride very well in every aspect but someting that I like is that it is always ready to pop. So, it's POP READY.

If I were you, I would go for the 129cm not 132cm. I am 75 kgs. and ride it from 12 knots up to 35 knots. an ultimate all rounder.

MO

zeppelin
Medium Poster

Postby zeppelin » Tue May 01, 2007 6:16 pm

Dont know about 07 Thorn but in last year I didnt liked straps which are impossible to adjust if you are wearing boots in cold conditions. Als I had expierience when strap openet after a crash. Otherwise board was nice.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue May 01, 2007 6:53 pm

zeppelin wrote:Dont know about 07 Thorn but in last year I didnt liked straps which are impossible to adjust if you are wearing boots in cold conditions. Als I had expierience when strap openet after a crash. Otherwise board was nice.
Well that is no problem any more with the Grav-D integrated straps, which are both super easy to install and adjustable. :-)

a.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Wed May 02, 2007 12:52 am

I realy like the Thorn for allround use. The 666 is the best POP board on flat water imho...

2 godies this year..

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu May 03, 2007 10:49 am

PAFF wrote:I realy like the Thorn for allround use. The 666 is the best POP board on flat water imho...

2 godies this year..
Not really that surprisng when you consider both come out of the same factory. don't think you can go wrong with either.

Return to “Kitesurfing”