Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Heading to Japan soon - I want to kitesurf!

forum for kitesurfers

Dann
Medium Poster

Heading to Japan soon - I want to kitesurf!

Postby Dann » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:13 am

Between the 26th of April and the 8th of May I will be visiting my grandparents in Tokyo and, if possible, would like to kite a few days of my stay. My itinerary leaves me a handful of free days towards the end of the trip which I can devote entirely to kiting.

I've read through numerous posts about kiting in Japan and it seems that there are three main areas to ride around Tokyo:

Chiba, Futtsu, and along Kujikuri beach (which I think is where Shanon Beach is??)

Any others?

What I would primarily like to know is if there are any kiters from Tokyo on this forum that I might be able to get together with while I'm over there or is there anyone that can give me any insight in general about kiting around Tokyo? Are there any recommended shops who may be able to help me out?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

thepidd
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

tokyo

Postby thepidd » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:11 am

hi im an english man in south japan but not so good here. if you want a good place look to "hamamatsu" a little south of tokyo .an english guy called Nick Katz has a school and shop. shop name 2 japan kitesurfing "
you will find it on net. also hes on Skype.com his handle is :nickkatz

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:50 pm

hey there,

I live and kite in Tokyo. Bring your wave board, waves can very often be double overhead here. Or you can go on the inside for flat water.

If you're not comfortable staying upwind it's not a great spot. Winds are usually light, but can occasionally light up, but almost never over 30knots, usually in the 10-22 knot range, so you could easily bring one board and one kite and probably be ok. That time of year is tricky in that it's not the normal thermal winds of the summer, but not the normal northerly winds of winter, so the beaches can vary accordingly.

Where in Tokyo will you be? There are several beaches near here. Kujukuri is in Chiba and is a HUGE super long beach...but cold water. And great powerful waves too, so it's nice, but a bit far away from Tokyo depending on where you are. Futtsu is nice, flat water and works with most wind directions. Also there is Miura Kaigan and then Kemigawahama, (both on kitebeaches.com) Then there is Hiratsuka which is awesome for south winds and has both waves and flat water.

Give me a buzz and I'll ride with you. Just let me know where you'll be so I can figure out if you need to take the train or I can pick you up. There aren't many foreign kiters here unfortunately.

Kujukuri is by far the best beach, do a yahoo search on it and check it out, really pretty beach, but man the water is pretty cold this time of year.

Also check windguru for wind info/wave info to get an idea what you're looking at.

have fun, and see ya when you get here.

j

Dann
Medium Poster

Postby Dann » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:14 am

Thanks for the info and the offer J, I'll definitly be taking you up on it!

When I arrive I will be staying at my grandparents by the Tsukiji Fisherman's market then taking a short trip to Kyoto which i will return from on the 2nd of May. My flight leaves on the 8th so that leaves a period of 5ish days where I can chase wind.

After I return from Kyoto I will be staying in a Hostel or cheap hotel somewhere, not sure exactly where yet.

Going upwind wont be a problem unless theres too little wind. I'm guessing that my Waroo 12 would be a safe kite to bring incase the winds are light. Unfortunately I don't have a wave board but my TT should do.

Anyways, Ill let you know when I know where Ill be staying durring the last few day.

Thanks again!

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:35 am

yep, 12m or 14m are the main used kites here depending on how much you weigh. There are spots without waves too depending on wind so you'll be good. There are plenty of youth hostel style hotels near Miura Kaigan right on the beach that were pretty cheap, might be something to check out?

just PM me when you get into town.

j

Dann
Medium Poster

Postby Dann » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:35 pm

Awesome. Thanks!

phlow
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Texas City Levee, Texas City Dike, El Jardin, Galveston
Gear: North Rebels, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Slingshot Alien Air, Lift NF2 Foil

Postby phlow » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:44 am

I don't live in Tokyo any more, but for my money, Futtsu-misaki is the "money spot". you can catch any direction there except straight east (which never happens anyway). i never got skunked there in two years. afternoon southside thermal is almost guaranteed in summer. easy to get to from downtown tokyo via the the aqua-wan tunnel. cool, helpful crew. most of the other spots close to tokyo are somewhat wind specific and some of the launches (i.e. kemigawahama are sketchy at best)

Dann
Medium Poster

Postby Dann » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:32 pm

Phlow, ya I have been watching these two wind sensors and it seems that Futssu generally has better winds.

Futtsu http://kaisyo.chiba-gyoren.or.jp/i/k_kaneda.html

Shanon Beach http://www.warms.ne.jp/warms/htdocs/demo2/top.html

Do you know when these summer thermals begin? Is early May too early?

brian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby brian » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:53 pm

Will you need to rent my golf bag again. :) Bailey

phlow
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Texas City Levee, Texas City Dike, El Jardin, Galveston
Gear: North Rebels, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Slingshot Alien Air, Lift NF2 Foil

Postby phlow » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:17 am

best sensor i used for Futtsu-misaki was

http://www.kaiho.mlit.go.jp/03kanku/yok ... 2kaiho.htm

(blowing 12m/s right now!!)

also you can check umihotaru

http://www.kaiho.mlit.go.jp/03kanku/yok ... hotaru.htm

(when it's light, umihotaru reads a little heavy because the sensor is mounted on the bridge at the exit of the aquawan tunnel, so it is pretty high up in the air)

both of these are updated every 30 min

from my experience, any day when it gets up into mid 20's C, you will have a good south thermal blowing in the afternoon at futtsu and kemigawahama. many times i have seen it literally "turn on" within a 10 min period, just as i was getting ready to give up on it for the day.

usually wont start until after about 13:00 - 14:00.

Return to “Kitesurfing”