Forum for kitesurfers
Menchu
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

VEGAS 07 BAR PRESSURE AND MODIFICATION

Postby Menchu » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:18 am

hello everyone, I ve been reading for some time about those of you complainning about the bar pressure on the vegas 07 and i have to agree on that but thank God we do have a solution for that particular problem if you can call it that

First time i flew my vegas 07 10 m i was quite surprised by the bar pressure and kept thinking that there must be a mistake on the riging. The first thing i noticed was the wider arc of the leading edge and the extra tension on the lines and 5th line and suspected that it might be due to that. After talking to others vegas riders and fanatics my suspision was confirmed and modified the bar like this:

-1 this is the bar

first you will see that i have the exterior lines on the fastest setting just as i have it connected to the fastest point on the kite ( the speedy bunny)

-secondly i would recommend you to connect your exterior lines on the first knot ( as far as posible from the bar)

finaly on the 5th line you can see that you have three conection points, Here also I would recomend you to connect it to the first one ( as far as possible from the bar....personaly i changed my red fith line all together replacing it by a naish redline that is longer and added about 7 cm to the original setting making my 5th line effectively longer and looser than the original one

Good luck everyone and i hope this helps..by the way this setting closes a bit your kite giving it in my opinion better handling and performance

rodo
Rare Poster

Postby rodo » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:11 pm

Thanks Menchu, I'll try your settings.
I find that the Vegas is pretty heavy on the bar and the fifth line on factory settings does have a lot of tension, but isn't that on purpose ? Don't you loose flying abilities by extending the lenght of your 5th line and therefore loosing tension on the 5th line ? I mean like having less rigidity in your kite ?

Menchu
Medium Poster

Postby Menchu » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:26 pm

quite frankly i think it s better this way..you might lose a bit on the windrange because the kite becomes less grunty but really really reallyyyyyyy a little...performance wise my opinon is that the kite behaves way better this way..more responsive, less heavy on the bar, faster flying speed and pivot (but it still won t match the vegas 06 in that last point and quite frankly better this way because for freestyle i personaly think the vegas 07 is better than the 06 although the 06 was more all-around and was awsome in the waves also)

scepter
Rare Poster

Postby scepter » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:09 pm

I was testing different barsettings for my Vegas 07 12, and tried different 5th line tensions. I found out that less 5th line tension give less barpressure and more "kitefeel" You loose some of the top end, the low end I`m not shure. I`m have modified my bar and will try to fly the Vegas without the Y setting and an clamcleat/5th line setup (like Slingshot), so i can ajust the 5th line tension when kiting. Then i can ajust the 5th line in different conditions and release 5th if it wraps around the kite. Not shure how the kite will perform without Y setting, but in my opinion North Y setup are way to close to the kite, so you loose kitefeel and it also will "close" the tips, so when turn realy hard in loop the tips bends (Vegas 07).

I will give my comments when I have tested this setup.

Hopefully it will give more direct feeling and lighter barpressure.

BTW. If you will have a realy nice bar, take a closer look to the Carved bars!

They have Y settings realy far from the kite, 5th line with ajustable cleat thrue center of depower system - so sweet!

http://www.carved.de

Menchu
Medium Poster

Postby Menchu » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:29 pm

rather that the y split being too close to the kite i think its the 2 point conection that causes the problem... i think they should have made it more like the naish double connection which is longer that north´s...by changing the red section of the 5th line to a longer one like the one i used from naish you can make your own knots and regulate the tension you find optimum for your performance...less tension on the 5th definitly makes the bar more friendly and the kite behaves better

a releasable, adjustable and full spinning fith line on a north bar next year would be really welcome...

Claus L
Rare Poster

Postby Claus L » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:40 pm

I also have the feeling of to much barpressuere :(
I will try to ad 5 cm line on the kites fifth line to see what happenes.

Hope there is somebody out there who nows WHAT to do with this
prob :lol:

regards

Menchu
Medium Poster

Postby Menchu » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:27 am

i was talking to cesar portas a few days ago at la manga during the Redbull kitepunk event and he confirmed the bar setting since he also has made the same conections on his bar...try adding a few cm to your fith line and also connect your steering lines on the furthest knot form the bar as shown on the pics above..

rolf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mirns and Muiderberg
Favorite Beaches: Mirns
Style: Oldscool
Gear: Currentley Cabrinha fx 8 and 10m. 2016. after Cabrinha co2 2004 2005 and de past 9 years North Vegas

Postby rolf » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:28 pm

I also experienced a amazing barpressure on my Vegas 9mtr.07 and find a lot of this options to make it lighter verry intresting,only to put your steeringlines to the furthest place from the bar, where stay's jour power Than?
I fly, till now my steeringlines on the 3 not in the liter winds with the depowerstrap full power wich felt better powered than then on the second not.
It's a good idee of putting the bar on the widest stance ,i am going to try this for shure.

aahi
Frequent Poster

Postby aahi » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:58 pm

Why does it seem like all the north kites this season have 5th lines that are too short? I'll make a guess...

I bet that they have historically made their 5th lines short so that when the line stretches over time, it becomes the right length. only this season they have brand new low-stretch line and they forgot to compensate for it.

what do you think dwight?

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:24 pm

aahi wrote:Why does it seem like all the north kites this season have 5th lines that are too short? I'll make a guess...

I bet that they have historically made their 5th lines short so that when the line stretches over time, it becomes the right length. only this season they have brand new low-stretch line and they forgot to compensate for it.

what do you think dwight?
Not really. They (North) like them tight and most people are happy with them that way.

The happy riders keep quiet. The ones who like them loose speak on the forum.

Return to “Kitesurfing”