16m kite for 3rd ave?

forum for kitesurfers

dpca10
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

16m kite for 3rd ave?

Postby dpca10 » Wed May 09, 2007 10:09 pm

My question: Are there many days when a 16m kite is needed for 3rd ave. Would I be better served by buying a 9m. I weight 190lbs naked, and have various size boards. I am not opposed to buying another 14 either if that's what the place really calls for. Any feedback would help.

I'm moving up to palo alto and will likely be kiting at 3rd ave most often. I have a 14m contra and a 12 m Rebel. I am thinking about selling the contra and going for a 16m Rebel or Rhino, since I had such a great time on my 12 the other day. I looked at the archive for wind on ikitesurf but I know that the sensor's and the reality on the water can be very different.

Thanks
Dave

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Wed May 09, 2007 10:16 pm

There are plenty of days where you'd be pissed not having a 9 in the bay area. I'd get one.

Bullroarer Took
Frequent Poster

Postby Bullroarer Took » Wed May 09, 2007 10:18 pm

I don't think you need to buy anything else yet. Contra 14 + big board will get you through the light days imo. If you decide you need something else later then buy it later. When 3rd starts getting light the wind direction is often shifting to SW (offshore) and you don't really want any kite then. If you have money to burn then I think you will get more days out of a smaller kite than a larger. We've had a pretty good spring so far.

sflinux
Frequent Poster

Postby sflinux » Thu May 10, 2007 3:46 pm

The two kites you have now should have you covered for 80% of the days. The 9M would get more usage than the 16M. I'd just wait until you move here before buying any more gear. Like the previous poster said, have two boards: a good light wind board, and a good high wind board and you'll be pretty covered. The season will be ending in October...

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Fri May 11, 2007 6:23 pm

At 190 you will not use the 9 so much in peak season. Most days you will be on 12-14 IN THE SEASON. Out of the season, winter storms and light wind days in the beginning and end of the season, it is a different story. But June-August you are looking at maximum of daily average about 25MPH with very few exceptions, which I am guessing for you is more of a 12 wind range than a 9 wind range.

Welcome to third Ave, great location and nice people all around.

I suggest that you use the kites you have until you get some experience at third. The size sounds right.

sonny
Rare Poster

Postby sonny » Fri May 11, 2007 11:21 pm

I weigh 150lbs and it is highly unlikely that I will use a 9m kite at 3rd this year. Probably high chance of using at the Delta. I use 15m 90% of the time and 13m most other time. i've used the 11m once this year so far.

ckiteman
Rare Poster

Postby ckiteman » Sat May 12, 2007 4:52 pm

I'd say save your money for the rent your about to pay in Palo Alto!

Return to “Kitesurfing”