Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

about the SS Link

forum for kitesurfers

parlophone
Medium Poster

about the SS Link

Postby parlophone » Tue May 08, 2007 4:05 pm

ok people here it is;

A while ago in august last year, the Link was released from the slingy factory..;way early, and too early to foresee the mistake of;;; the bridles...

Now, the kite flew nicely 5lines, but it sucked big time 4lines... everyone who tested it then will agree.

BUT... I'm sick and tired of people still going on about the Link saying it's a nasty kite and all... If you have flown the kite now with the updates and new bridles and don't like it;
- you don't like hybrids
- you can't fly hybrids
- you just can't fly...

either way, the kite is now (apart from fuel and TD and instinct) an awesome kite, you can do waves, freeride, jump high and go unhooked.
So, no the magazines are not lying or sponsored when they say the kite rocks, it just does! don't believe me, then try one!

Dano the Great!
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dano the Great! » Tue May 08, 2007 5:53 pm

WORD!! :mosh:
Attachments
D.surfin.2.JPG
D.surfin.2.JPG (192.55 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
Onad.link.JPG
Onad.link.JPG (209.64 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
Onad showing Lou some.JPG
Onad showing Lou some.JPG (223.63 KiB) Viewed 1619 times

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Tue May 08, 2007 7:02 pm

When I started kiteboarding back then in 04 SS had a solid 25 % market share here in Tarifa ,nowadays if they have 7-9 % thats been positive.

Must be a reason .......

Saludos

bri
Frequent Poster

Postby bri » Tue May 08, 2007 7:14 pm

http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... hp?t=17189

our link riders thread.

I agree with comment that the link needs to be flown. it won't just sit there like a bow and don't expect it to. enjoying the kite now.

DART VADER
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Tube, Foil
Brand Affiliation: Sportime Family

Postby DART VADER » Tue May 08, 2007 11:25 pm

I think the best thing is to wait for 08 link :-?

WaveKiter
Rare Poster

Postby WaveKiter » Wed May 09, 2007 5:40 am

I really liked the way the bar insert ate the depower rope when the METAL frayed. I also liked the pulleys jamming and busting open after flying it 10 times on the amazing red bridles. I got excited when the red bridles became usuable and had to be replaced too. I still get excited looking at all that parasitic drag the RED bridle creates. I also dug the way the stitching on the pigtails and leader lines CAME APART and let the lines go free. Pity it didn't fly with 3 lines. Yeah Bomber construction my anushole.

Mind you SS are sorry. Sorry is too late when your getting munched due to gear failure. So go for it, enjoy your kite, just remember to;
*Never fly it on the beach
*Don't fly it in low winds, (in fact you should have one of each size just to be sure)
*Always keep your pulleys and bridles clean, especially when near sand... yep, gotta keep 'em clean.
*Pull all the battens out of it
*Never fly it above your head in anything but clean, steady trade winds.
*Tie knots at point X,Y and fu*king Z
* oh sorry, tie knots at A, B and friggin C
* nahh, we're wrong try D,E and F?
* Hmm, just wait a LITTLE bit and try this...
* Be paitent waiting for your warranty returns on everything
* Take up juggling, you can do that while your kites fu*ked
* Don't get mad with it, it's sensitive, it's a link
* Don't expect to sell it
* Don't swear at it
and above all
DON'T EXPECT IT TO DO WHAT THE MARKETING HYPE SUGGESTS IT SHOULD.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

WaveKiter
Rare Poster

Postby WaveKiter » Wed May 09, 2007 5:49 am

oh whoops you said
"BUT... I'm sick and tired of people still going on about the Link saying it's a nasty kite and all... If you have flown the kite now with the updates and new bridles and don't like it;
- you don't like hybrids
- you can't fly hybrids
- you just can't fly... "

I can fly it you di*khead and I actually liked sometimes, mainly on downwinders when it was working, but FOR FU*KS SAKE!!!!!! Get over it, it really is a PIECE OF SH*T and built by a pack of moderately intelligent camels.

Take your attempt at SS propaganda and jam it up your niceperson.
I'm SICK OF ALL THE SS PROPAGANDA. Make a kite that works, not just a marketing plan. :bye:

-----AAHHH, that feels better.... :bye:

parlophone
Medium Poster

Postby parlophone » Wed May 09, 2007 8:56 am

@panchito; in 04 SS was one of the leading brands because they were one of the ONLY brands that days, weren't too much around then... you could actually see some wipika kites then! Here SS still is No 1, but you have so many brands...
I'm not saying SS is the best.. no 'm saying the Link is a good kite, I flew the new flexi hybrid last time in 30 kts, kite was jellyfishing all the way, while my instinct and Link were ok... Now you don't see me bashing the flexi on this forum do you...
Also I know you are an instinct lover; Me too, my girlfriend has 7m '06 and 11 instinct sport. To tell you, I love everything in that kite..BUT! already had a few take offs in 30+kts while the line got stuck behind the last strut (and you know what happens then don't you..) also; still no stopper ball on the 07? and I know now why such a big repair kit when you buy it... the canopy gets tears from even looking at it...
But because of it's flying abilities are soooo good, I'm not putting on new posts that ozone sucks... every brand has it's misfits...nobody's perfect!

@ wavekiter;
Rule no1: Just trying to post a normal post here, so try to be an adult and respond like one. thanx

quote:
I really liked the way the bar insert ate the depower rope when the METAL frayed. I also liked the pulleys jamming and busting open after flying it 10 times on the amazing red bridles. I got excited when the red bridles became usuable and had to be replaced too. I still get excited looking at all that parasitic drag the RED bridle creates. I also dug the way the stitching on the pigtails and leader lines CAME APART and let the lines go free. Pity it didn't fly with 3 lines. Yeah Bomber construction my anushole.

A fault that many do is not take care of your material. You pay this much money for it, why not clean it after each session. Working with pulleys, you know if sand comes between them... it's on every kite with pulleys the same.
If the metal on your bar frayed, take a pic and send it back to SS, it's under warranty so they will replace.
Stitchings coming loose? I'm flying mine from september already, took in three weeks to brasil, doing unhooked stuff, crashing etc... nothing loose there... :roll:
Probably your kite was made on a monday... :wink:

Mind you SS are sorry. Sorry is too late when your getting munched due to gear failure. So go for it, enjoy your kite, just remember to;
*Never fly it on the beach
*Don't fly it in low winds, (in fact you should have one of each size just to be sure)
*Always keep your pulleys and bridles clean, especially when near sand... yep, gotta keep 'em clean.
*Pull all the battens out of it
*Never fly it above your head in anything but clean, steady trade winds.
*Tie knots at point X,Y and fu*king Z
* oh sorry, tie knots at A, B and friggin C
* nahh, we're wrong try D,E and F?
* Hmm, just wait a LITTLE bit and try this...
* Be paitent waiting for your warranty returns on everything
* Take up juggling, you can do that while your kites fu*ked
* Don't get mad with it, it's sensitive, it's a link
* Don't expect to sell it
* Don't swear at it
and above all
DON'T EXPECT IT TO DO WHAT THE MARKETING HYPE SUGGESTS IT SHOULD

* as I already said; pulleys of any brand, will die leaving them with sand...
* why would you fly on the beach? your sport is on the water...
* All bow/SLE kites with an unattentive driver will hindenberg when flown straight above them in gusty winds... Damn, even C's will fall down if you're not paying attention dumbass!! (starting to doubt about your flying ability again...)
* pull all the battens out??? eh... :-? why again?
* Never fly in low winds? with red bridles and nobile skim, my 12 takes me to 8 kts!!
* problem with where to tie your knots? true, they didn't make the manual retarded-proof
(btw, if you don't know this, how did you tie up your other brand kites...??)
* TRUE! sometimes you have to wait long on warranty!! I waited from september to november for the red bridles, but you have to mail a lot , and then it will speed up... But yes, this one is true.
* Don't expect to sell it;;; no , because of people like you bashing it online, it will not no... fool!!

AND ABOVE ALL;; well, marketing said I'd get a kite that I could fly 5lined and 4 lined...eh.. it works !!

And man, if you still didn't like it after all these things; send angry mails to SS customer service, and buy another kite but stop bashing here. That's all I was meaning to say. Alot of kites I tested this year suck, I don't wanna go out and do this same...
Be a grownup eh..!

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed May 09, 2007 6:17 pm

Parlophone

I will never bash any kite that I haven´t owned....

Said this ...I had 7 SS kites so far and my last one ... my Beloved Octane 12 DID try to kill me several times when the bar hole paint was gone and the fiberglass ate the chicken line every 3 sessions.... and the 5th line too.

Honestly... I was afraid of using this kite , the new bar arrived 3 months after I sold the f***** kite

THAT was the time ( May 06 ) when I decided not to purchase any SS kites anymore ( after all the " small " problems I had during all this years with my beloved SS kites .... the list is just to long and I don´t want to start a bashing thread here .

If you are happy with your kite... good for you I am happy with my kites to.

Beside of one guarantee issue on my 11m ( the plastic tubing from the chicken line pealed off ) I had NO issues regarding quality with any of my 4 Instincts.

Do I think Ozone is the best ? hell no but at least I am using now a brand that is selling me a kite which has been properly tested / controlled before it has been shipped out of their facilities.

Saludos

WaveKiter
Rare Poster

Postby WaveKiter » Thu May 10, 2007 4:20 am

I've never "bashed" any kites before and don't call me a retard, just because you're a dickhead struggling with a kite your trying your hardest to like. Normal posts don't infer that everyone who hates x kite can't fly it.

Sure it's good when it's good, but this kite was BAD way more than it was GOOD.

"A fault that many do is not take care of your material. You pay this much money for it, why not clean it after each session. Working with pulleys, you know if sand comes between them... it's on every kite with pulleys the same.
If the metal on your bar frayed, take a pic and send it back to SS, it's under warranty so they will replace.
Stitchings coming loose? I'm flying mine from september already, took in three weeks to brasil, doing unhooked stuff, crashing etc... nothing loose there...
Probably your kite was made on a monday..".

HA HA HA HA I Laugh. I washed the bridles and pulleys, bar and lines everytime. Been waiting for a new bar for 4 months. THE "STEEL" wore through and ended up with sharp edges, just brilliant.
My point is how ridiculous it is to try and keep sand out of a pulley ON A BEACH.

Rooted, cheap steel inserts in bars & stitching coming loose is because of POOR QUALITY CONTROL. PERIOD. That's not part of the "Legendary Construction" is it?

Hindenburging was refering to the "ease" of which this kite does it. Yes every kite can do it, what kind of a comeback is that MR SS?

Your 8 knots is remarkable. You must kite in the land of the wind gods and wind metering fairies.

Yep, better just say it's a great kite and get around pimping it to boost the 2nd hand market eh? Good one. Aren't you meant to say, fly it for yourself and you'll LOVE IT!

Do I really have to dig up all the things the link was marketed as saying it could do? Please dont make me but QUALITY comes to mind.

What about the size of the bridle and the drag that creates? I suppose you like that do you?

And yeah I'm jacked over it, like many, many others and really dont like stuff to break and or not work as intended due to no fault of my own.

Go ahead and enjoy your kite, but pimping it up wont make it any better.

Just fly it for yourself and find out.... :thumb:

PS: Tell me I can't fly a kite.... (already had a few take offs in 30+kts while the line got stuck behind the last strut (and you know what happens then don't you..) Surely someone as skilled as you would check for this first? Esp when you need to so regularily on the link??? :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”