5th line set up and surf don't mix

Forum for kitesurfers
michelinman
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

5th line set up and surf don't mix

Postby michelinman » Fri May 11, 2007 11:38 am

I have the chance of demoing a new kite tomorrow with a 5th line single attachment point but can be converted to a Y set up I have been told.
The kite has had good reviews but is this just a waste ot time since I only like to ride waves on a directional and altho I can gybe well and am experienced I do drop the kite and have has several second hand reports of kites ripping down the middle in even small surf?(on this forum and from friends)
I ride a fully bridled SLE, pulley at the bar and kite which takes the abuse but could be more responsive.A small price to pay? This the best set up for waves if you do take a tumble?

P.

viktor
Frequent Poster

Postby viktor » Fri May 11, 2007 12:58 pm

Why not just a 4liner without pulleys and bridles? (and no you don't have to get the kite on its back to relaunch it)

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Fri May 11, 2007 1:55 pm

viktor wrote:(and no you don't have to get the kite on its back to relaunch it)
That's very informative Viktor. I have a very clear picture in my head now of how you do that. Thanks for the great tip.

Why post twice when you can say everything you want to with one post?

michelinman
Rare Poster

5th Line

Postby michelinman » Fri May 11, 2007 3:39 pm

Good point Victor.But it is good to have the depower esp. for wave riding and have a maximum of 2 kites .
I would like the responsiveness of a C ,not to have to buy 3 or 4 kites, the depowering ability but not a 5th line which will cheesewire a kite in the surf.
Yes it must jump well too etc.I suspect I am describing a perfect kite which cannot and will not be built since all kites must compromise.
I probably should get to Tenerife and the Shinn Centre and try out as many kites as possible.Ay present since I dont want another bow, don't want to go back to Cs ,am avoiding 5th lines )reason for this thread,find bridled kites unresponsive I'm pretty well stuffed until at least the 2008 stuff starts to appear in September!

P.

boardingbob
Medium Poster

Postby boardingbob » Fri May 11, 2007 5:25 pm

Hello Michelinman,

Don't want to be pimping but guess I am. What you are looking for is offered with the Windwing Rampage II and Batwing. It does have a bridle but it is simple and without pulleys. I just could not help but to reply since you offered such a good description and the reason I like the kites.

Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Fatfish98 » Fri May 11, 2007 7:10 pm

Slingy Fuel has detachable fifth line to stop the kites ripping in half if it gets bow tied in the surf/
It's called the wave grenade.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Try to 07 reactors if you get the chance. I just have two 7m and 9m for all conditions up to 30knots (when the waves turn to choppy shit anyway).
Kites have plenty of range and nothing works better for unhooked waveriding.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Fri May 11, 2007 10:32 pm

Fatfish98 wrote:Slingy Fuel has detachable fifth line to stop the kites ripping in half if it gets bow tied in the surf/
It's called the wave grenade.
Good system I use myself.

If you want to ride 5 line and end up with the kite down in surf and want to flag it, flag it on a side line.
Flagging on 5th isnt good in the surf cos all the weight of water goes to the centre of the leading edge, and will cause damage.

For me I never flag out the kite. I stay hooked in and with 5lines have never had a wrap. With line tension the kite wont roll, and even after being mowed down by some heavey waves the kite will relaunch immediatly.

Ive got away with this method on fuels since 04 and havent had any kite damage at all.

The fuels fly 4 line as well, and as Surfingwithkites says the reactors work for him.

michelinman
Rare Poster

5th Line and surf

Postby michelinman » Fri May 11, 2007 10:47 pm

Thanks all.
A few suggestions for kites there that I will follow up.
Cannot believe it but am seriously considering going to an Airush Vapor demo tomorrow-a "spawn of satan " 5th line kite.Dealer told me not to be such a "jessy" (northern english word for wimp!) and get down there.
P.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Sat May 12, 2007 2:44 am

see if you can get a reactor to try instead of the vapor then you have a kite that flies equally well with four of five lines and has the releasable fifth line. you can convert from four to five in a few minutes whenever you want. Five lines are a disadvantage in the surf so why be stuck with a kite that has to have five to work well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”