Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flying 9m bow on longer bar...less top end?

forum for kitesurfers

joff
Medium Poster

Flying 9m bow on longer bar...less top end?

Postby joff » Sun May 13, 2007 6:35 pm

Hi guys...

as per my previous post I am going to be buying a 9m kite only omega and flying it on a 55cm xbow bar....too short of funds to go complete.

I took out a 9m switchblade 1 yesterday to have a go using a 55cm bar on one.... was more overpowered than i wouldve expected. Now it was very gusty so was difficult to pin point the speed but would i be right in thinking the extra length on the bar may have had an effect (by shortening the back lines due to extra length?) or would it not make a difference? The kite didn't seem to move too fast for me to deal with....more the back lines seemed too short and so the kite was choking.......

now although i havent checked the line lengths, my xbow flys fine on the same bar and lines...

would it be possible to lengthen the back lines on the omega when it arrives in order to sort this problem?

or was it just too windy yesterday in lancing cos that couldve been it!....

cheers for the advice

J

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: Epickites kiteboarding

Postby Soleas » Sun May 13, 2007 6:42 pm

Sounds like wrong line length settings. The bigger bar only makes a difference in turning ease.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flying 9m bow on longer bar...less top end?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 13, 2007 6:53 pm

joff wrote:Hi guys...

as per my previous post I am going to be buying a 9m kite only omega and flying it on a 55cm xbow bar....too short of funds to go complete.

I took out a 9m switchblade 1 yesterday to have a go using a 55cm bar on one.... was more overpowered than i wouldve expected. Now it was very gusty so was difficult to pin point the speed but would i be right in thinking the extra length on the bar may have had an effect (by shortening the back lines due to extra length?) or would it not make a difference? The kite didn't seem to move too fast for me to deal with....more the back lines seemed too short and so the kite was choking.......

now although i havent checked the line lengths, my xbow flys fine on the same bar and lines...

would it be possible to lengthen the back lines on the omega when it arrives in order to sort this problem?

or was it just too windy yesterday in lancing cos that couldve been it!....

cheers for the advice

J
With the 2:1 bar pulley setup you will slightly shorten the rear lines, with a longer bar, true.

But the difference is so small, that I am sure this is not the reason for your power.

Either you've too much wind, OR, you have to lengthen your rear leader lines or shorten your front lines. Very easy to do.

You can not expect different kites to fly equal, on the same bar.
Each kite has its own trim, even from the same brand, and the same model - but different sizes 8)
(it would be nice if all kites could fit on the same bar/trim - but they can NOT :cry: )
Use your kites pigtails (or add some) if you want to use the same bar for diffent kites - this is the ONLY way to do it properly so they all fly with the same trim and power and feel, regardless of size and/or type :P

:- ) Peter Frank

joff
Medium Poster

Postby joff » Sun May 13, 2007 9:28 pm

cheers for reply mate that makes sense....so how do i work out how much to lengthen the bridle pig tails on the 9m omega when it comes....is it just a trial and error thing?? and what should i use to do it with?

i will check the line lengths too but id be suprised if they were off.

Soleas
Frequent Poster

Postby Soleas » Sun May 13, 2007 9:47 pm

Which knot have you used on the rear connection points on the kite?

joff
Medium Poster

Postby joff » Mon May 14, 2007 8:37 am

i was using the last knots at the bridle points....

Soleas
Frequent Poster

Postby Soleas » Tue May 15, 2007 1:02 am

You can try making a 2nd knot on the front attachment points. Measure the distance between 2 knots on the rear and add a knot on the front points using the same distance. Try that and let us know if the kite flies better.

Costas

joff
Medium Poster

Postby joff » Tue May 15, 2007 5:06 pm

cheers dude...will give it a go.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Tue May 15, 2007 9:58 pm

the frontlines on my bar for my Contra bow is 10cm longer than the lines on my Switchblade 1 bar. The backlines are the same length...Thus the SB stalls easier with the Contra bar than the SB1 bar (I think)

Maybe something similar?

joff
Medium Poster

Postby joff » Tue May 15, 2007 10:42 pm

maybe kosh... but i think that the lines should all be the same length whatever.... perhaps im only noticing it now because i rarely fly the 12m right at its top end which is where it would be more noticeable.....

Return to “Kitesurfing”