Kiters in Burlington, Vermont

forum for kitesurfers

Spinal
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiters in Burlington, Vermont

Postby Spinal » Thu May 17, 2007 3:53 am

I was out yesterday morning, and had a great session. At the end, met up with another kiter as I came in, and was thinking that it would be great to have a way of contacting other kiters in the Burlington area before going out. Always fun, and probably safer, to have another person or two to ride with.
I went to Florida recently, and considered riding in the D.C. area recently and both places have kitesurfing associations with websites and a forum where people post their planned rides, conditions, etc.
Anyone interested?

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Thu May 17, 2007 11:20 am

THere are a number of kiters in the Burlington area. Feel free to pm me.

simplelife
Medium Poster

Postby simplelife » Thu May 17, 2007 6:07 pm

Where are you guys riding on Champlain? Big kites and big boards? I might drop down from Montreal when I'm in that general area this summer.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Thu May 17, 2007 9:48 pm

YOU TELL LIES GARY LIES!!!!

there are no kiters on lake champlain, its been banned on the whole lake, there's never any wind here, and if it does blow by freak chance its over 50mph and gusty. There are no waves and there are no slicks, and there is certainly no chicks. I strongly suggest anyone thinking of riding Lake champlain to head to the jersey shore.

thanks for playing

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Thu May 17, 2007 11:44 pm

Skland,
perhaps you are right. Those big slow floaty loops you were getting all ye ha about were not done in your backyard. And all those 20, 30, and 40 knot days are not here. Hadn't heard about the ban, but is seems possible, cause the other day, when I was out getting massive air (accidently, probably) at 5:30 in the morning, I didn't see another kiter... But if the ban was lifted, and people actually kited here, it would be pretty sweet. Of course there is the small issue of there not being a square foot of beach, due to flood stage water.

simplelife
Medium Poster

Postby simplelife » Thu May 17, 2007 11:47 pm

Thanks for the info. lol

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Fri May 18, 2007 10:52 am

Simplelife,
we ride the full range. 5 m- 14 m. Fall is the big wind season. Spring and summer are less reliable, but it is common to get 4-5 days per week. Ususally in the morning. The biggest issue is finding a decent launch. Very few true beaches. Lake Champlain is 120 miles long and up to 10 wide. The water rises about 6 feet ing the spring, drowning the beaches. By mid summer there are some pretty good launches on the New York side. The deltas of the Ausable and Bouquet rivers are good. Plattsburg has a significant beach with loads of windsurfers. Many from Montreal. There are also kiters from Montreal.

Return to “Kitesurfing”