forum for kitesurfers

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None

Liquid Force Recoil WLF opinions

Postby KiteSmurfer » Sun May 20, 2007 11:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some opinions on the LF Recoil WLF specifically. This could be my light wind board, replacing a Loose TX 156 (which is too dam long..... and old)

I weigh around 180lbs and ride in choppy conditions most of the time. My Loose 156 is horrible to jump with - absolutly ZERO pop and is as stiff as a plank.

The high wind performance of this board is not an issue - i have a higher wind board.

I don't want to hear about other brands, light wind LF boards only.

thanks

Chris

Jahmi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Jahmi » Mon May 21, 2007 12:16 am

The Recoil WLF does not exist. At least that is what I have been told after inquiring about it.

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSmurfer » Mon May 21, 2007 3:42 am

interesting - with who did you enquire? It's listed on their site......

Jahmi
Frequent Poster

Postby Jahmi » Mon May 21, 2007 1:33 pm

It came directly from LF. They seem to have supply issues with the Recoils this year. It's a shame because they are great boards.

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSmurfer » Mon May 21, 2007 4:19 pm

Ok, thanks - shame

Which of the LF range is a GOOD light wind board that might work instead of recoil WLF.... (not the proof 151)

Chris

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Core XR4 7m. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional CF Cruiser Pro 145 and North 135 Select.

Postby DSZ » Mon May 21, 2007 5:14 pm

I'm 185 lbs and have been riding a WLF 140 for a couple of years. It is what I learned on and continue to use in lighter winds. Not the best lightwind board, better ones will have less rocker, but it does work well.

WindRyder
Medium Poster

Postby WindRyder » Mon May 21, 2007 6:20 pm

http://www.emeraldcoastkiteboarding.com has the LF Recoil WLF 140. Check it out there.

The Great Merkin
Rare Poster

Postby The Great Merkin » Mon May 21, 2007 7:35 pm

I have the info from the horses mouth...my mate is the LF distributor here in Dubai.

The WLF Recoil does not exist - none have ever been made. He did say that there are no issues with the rest of the Recoil range and that he has no problems getting hold of them. I know that to be true because he supplied me a Recoil 130.

He has no explanation for why this board is still on their website - his personal opinion is that there might be one out in 08 but we won't see one this season. Apparently LF do not regard this board as a priority and that they believe the Proof 151 will fill in for the light wind market. Having ridden a Proof that he had for demo this is complete crap. It's a bomb proof beginners board which has average light wind performance. A Nobile EXT blows it off the water. Even the Recoil 136 planes as early in light wind and has much more pop/easier to throw around. I tried this model as one of my possible choices but the EXT beat it hands down.

I bet if you ask emeraldcoastkiteboarding you'll find that they can't supply.

I dunno why suppliers would do this. Much better to just pull it off the website and stop generating interest. To be fair he said its the only product in this years line up that seems not to have actually materialised.

Chris - your best bet is the Recoil 136 if you insist upon LF. The Mission 144 does not seem to perform any better despite the size and the Proof is not going to cut it. I ride a Nobile EXT for light winds and can recommend that as being the best option in the market you will find short of a Door/Session from Spleene. I haven't tried the Naish custom light wind or other brands.

I get the impression that LF are not really interested in the light wind market. Their Mig only goes up to 12M, the Havoc 14M and the Assault 19 is not so much a light wind machine as a pull monster for heavier riders. The board range seems to have been designed with 11 knots plus in mind. The old Spectrum II/WLF combination was better for 9-11 knots than any of the current offering. Bit of a shame as I live in lightwindsville...I guess its understandable as the wake thing can't happen unless you have a hefty old breeze...

I have a North Rhino 6 20 which along with the EXT sees me on the water long before anyone else around here...

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSmurfer » Mon May 21, 2007 10:07 pm

does the recoil 136 have better bottom end than the element 140?

Jahmi
Frequent Poster

Postby Jahmi » Mon May 21, 2007 10:32 pm

KiteSmurfer wrote:does the recoil 136 have better bottom end than the element 140?
Yes

I'm not sure where in Ontario you are but if you happen to be in the Windsor or Sarnia area you can try mine. LF is one of the sponsors of Kitestock there will be a wide assortment of boards there for demo. I'm positive the Recoil 133 and 136 will be on hand.

I weigh 220 lbs and ride my Recoil in all but the lightest winds.

Return to “Kitesurfing”