Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

kite accidents

forum for kitesurfers

yami53
Rare Poster

kite accidents

Postby yami53 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:25 am

What do I have to do when my kite gets tangled with another kite?
Wind is at least 20 knots and I have a leash to the kite. Your advice please!

Pike
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pike » Mon May 21, 2007 7:52 am

if you can't immediately untangle the kites, kill the kite to leash if it is set up like that, scream at other kiter to suggest the same, if that doesn't work then release the leash and get to the kites as quick as you can.

in this situation I would always be ready to dump the kite pronto!! (and hope the other kiter does the same).

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon May 21, 2007 8:03 am

stay calm.
Analyze the situation quickly, you may can fly the kite out of the other lines, or the other could.
You may try to fly the kites onto the water, then start to untangle, watch the kites.
If you don't have space downwind, both should release to the leash at the same time. Communicate properly and even if you are mad, stay calm. Then untangle it.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Mon May 21, 2007 12:08 pm

depending on where you are in the water, if you're near shore,rocks on anything that can cause damage to yourself or others you should activate your saftey system instantly no time to check if you can untangle any lines or solve the problem accidents can happen in less than a second,but, if your in open water away from anything dangerous you could mess around and try to solve the problem without activating your saftey system.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Mon May 21, 2007 12:09 pm

:!:
Last edited by prayfawind27 on Tue May 22, 2007 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon May 21, 2007 1:29 pm

If the other kiter releases their kite, which is quite likely, you will be connected to 2 kites. That is how people get killed. I would immediately be going for my quick release to flag my kite and in that 1 or 2 seconds of reaction time, if I assessed that the circumstances were of not immediate danger, I would wait to decide to release and get prepared to release the flagged line too.

You could be tangled with someone like me who was face down in the water and released their kite. I think the previous posts (except maybe Pikes) are a gamble.

yami53
Rare Poster

Postby yami53 » Tue May 22, 2007 8:29 am

Thanks a lot to all those who gave me the good tips. Let's hope we will not be in such a situation! I will be happy to hear from others who have any advice on such an important issue!

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

___

Postby ian c » Tue May 22, 2007 10:17 am

Don't just automatically release point blank. The more experienced kiters can often undo a tangle if in shallow water or on land by running back around each other at least in light to moderate wind. In higher winds it is so much more important to keep your distance cos you would do anything at that point in time not to be in that situation.

20 knots is a tough call for sure easy answer - don't go there... - also way easier to judge if you know the other rider.

Adolfo
Medium Poster

Postby Adolfo » Tue May 22, 2007 3:43 pm

I think the most important thing to do is to TALK with the other kiter. Stay calm, depower the kites all the way, get close to each other, and try to fly them out of the tangle working together. If you can’t, then both should release the kites to the leash at the same time, and be ready to release the leash if things go wrong.
Never ever release the kite without telling the other kiter what you are going to do.
The couple of times it happened to me, we couldn’t fly them out, so we agreed to release at the count of three. It worked as expected.

bleighty
Frequent Poster

Postby bleighty » Wed May 23, 2007 3:55 pm

a local pro kiter came down from a particulary high jump and my kite went between his left and right side lines. what he did was start yelling for me to move towards him.. i was 100% set to ditch the kite.. but he was running (knee deep water) towards me.. i followed suit.

i noticed that once we were next to each other the kites were much easier to fly with minimal pull from the others lines.. he moved back and set the kite down directly down wind and i was able to do a quick boost to jump over his lines and out of harms way.

in deep water this would not have been possible so quickly..

big difference of course between crossed lines and being inside someones lines..

keep one hand on the release.. if they release and you are not ready you are going to go for a ride.

Return to “Kitesurfing”