Postby tenebaum » Fri May 04, 2007 6:24 pm

read this news on bruno's site...

http://www.inflatablekite.com/sitebow/newsgb.html

Celine
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Celine » Fri May 04, 2007 7:01 pm

Sorry - but they've been saying it'll be here in 6 months for at least 8 months now - their credibility is suffering a bit. I'll believe it when i see it

RickyBobby
Frequent Poster

Postby RickyBobby » Fri May 04, 2007 7:08 pm

Bruno does not manufacture kites. He designs kites that kite companies modify to their own specs and then ultimately produce for the market.

Big changes coming soon to your kitebeach!

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri May 04, 2007 7:10 pm

Yeah it's up to the manufactures to come out with them, Bruno hasn't got a say in that. Plus I'd rather see a kite that works well, than something rushed to the market and lacks performance or has a design flaw.

D_Clark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby D_Clark » Fri May 04, 2007 7:13 pm

I wonder if this will effect the design of the next Cabrinha Contra due out in a few months?

This is another step towards smaller kites. I have already retired my 20m kite for a 14m bow kite. And it would be cool if that 14m was even more powerful, but I'm not going to be riding a 10 or 12m as my everyday kite at 100kg.

Its still an interesting idea.

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Rogue Wave, Switch, Windwing, Ozone, Fone
Brand Affiliation: Brands that are fun to ride

Postby Xtream » Fri May 04, 2007 10:03 pm

This kite looks very similar to the Windwing Rapture 2 Kite, not the best performer especially for light winds. The new Rampage performs much better in all conditions Low, High and gusty winds, and its not as flat as the Rapture 2.
In my opinion going flatter is going backwards. Windwing has already tried it with the Rapture 2. I guess they are that much further ahead in their R&D?

X
Attachments
rap 120002_1.jpg
rap 120002_1.jpg (64.72 KiB) Viewed 4079 times

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat May 05, 2007 12:11 am

The problem with the Rapture 2 is not how flat it was designed. The Rapture 2 was built to be so bomber that it is very heavy. The added weight makes it perform poorly in light wind.

Windwing C+S
Frequent Poster

Postby Windwing C+S » Sat May 05, 2007 6:18 pm

Rampage IIs are a bit lighter but they are built bomb poof as well. Compare to the Raptures, we took out the flat and one of the twin middle (keep me stuck on the water) struts.

Windwing pioneered the flat movement with the Rapture I and II kites and has since evolved away from the flat notion while keeping and surpassing the benefits of the flat performance.

The Rampage II and the new Batwing both have a constant curve LE and they do out-performed our flat models. With a superior re-launch (we actually have to warn people that the kite might re-launches too easily), extended wind range where the kite can be totally de-powered, parked anywhere in the wind zone and then flown backwards with simple, effective bridles, these new generation kites have achieve better performance in every category without going flat.

groundclown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1990
Local Beach: The Gorge, and Seaside
Favorite Beaches: Florence, Sunset, Manzo, and "Lyle" banned by the Rail Road because we are to stupid to cross the tracks I guess.
Gear: Windwing '09, Drops Daze 130X43, OpenOcean custom 6'2" squash tail
Brand Affiliation: Windwing R@D

Postby groundclown » Sat May 05, 2007 8:44 pm

It is all in the shape. Not necessarily in the projected area. Here are a few small Revolution-ary power kites I have been flying since 1992. These are remarkable light wind power kites. One of the first kite I ever took to the water 16 years ago. At 4 meters the new Power Blast is more powerful than my old Slingshot B-8m foil. So light they even have indoor NO-WIND kite competitions in Lincoln city every year.
Jonathon
Attachments
blast_03_thumbnail.jpg
blast_03_thumbnail.jpg (3.16 KiB) Viewed 3538 times
p-blast_4-8_1_thumb.jpg
p-blast_4-8_1_thumb.jpg (3.92 KiB) Viewed 3538 times
joe_pulled_thumb.jpg
joe_pulled_thumb.jpg (2.11 KiB) Viewed 3538 times

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Sat May 05, 2007 8:53 pm

I don´t think Moores Law applies to kite design. I would like it to be in effect, but no luck.

More like the development in bicycle frame design. It´s taken 15 years for carbon fiber frames to finally reach the stage where it can beat an aluminum frame at a reasonable cost, and the R&D investment has been phenomenal.

The bow kites have taken 3 years (as many have pointed out it would) to become decent kites. There is still a way to go.

I suspect this new development will take 3 years to perfect too, perhaps longer.
The law of diminishing (performance) returns are in effect. And as the market matures consumers become more conservative. Many cases in history to testify to this.

AND the L bros need a copywriter real bad. Research shows that bad spelling and grammar significantly reduce the readers confidence in the correctness of the facts. Not that i´m any better, but i´m not selling my intellectual property.

Return to “Kitesurfing”