Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Rebel vs Rhino

forum for kitesurfers

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

North Rebel vs Rhino

Postby Dr_Rosen » Thu May 17, 2007 9:42 pm

What is the difference between these 2 kites?

I know the Rebel is a bow/SLE. Or is it, as it doesn't have bridles.

How do they compare to Cabrinha SB2's

alex267
Medium Poster

Postby alex267 » Thu May 17, 2007 10:02 pm

i dont know the difference between the rebel and the rhino,
i know that i am very happy with my rhinos.
The rhino have a very nice feeling, i have the 12 and the 9,
If you want a small kite i thing that the rhino 9 is a perfect choice.

Pike
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pike » Thu May 17, 2007 10:07 pm

I have rebels and have flown cabs amongst others. The rebel is a hybrid, not a bow or sle and is entirely different in flight, turning, lift, speed and safety.
(A far better kite in all aspects imho).

I have not flown the rhino's.

Blowing in the Wind
Frequent Poster

Postby Blowing in the Wind » Fri May 18, 2007 1:43 am

The Rhino and Rebel are both great kites. The Rebel is a bit more forgiving than the rhino and flys a bit slower (not a boring slow). The Rebel is better for wave riding and has a bit softer feel to it.

The Rhino is faster accross the window which gives faster board speed. It jumps slightly higher and has a bit more bar pressure. It has a bit more grunt to it and some say a bit more C kite feel. It does provide a bit more power for it's size. The 10m R7 has almost the same low end as the 12m Rebel but better top end.

Both kites are very stable, turn quick and have great depower. I would say the Rebel is a better freeride and wave ride kite. It is just fun and easy to ride. The Rhino is for those who like to ride fast and jump high. I think it takes just a bit more attention from the rider but is pretty user friendly.

Compared to the SB2 I would say both the Rhino and Rebel turn a bit quicker and have a more direct feel.

Hope that helps.

Hunter Brown
http://www.gokitesurf.com

Airtime
Frequent Poster

Postby Airtime » Fri May 18, 2007 2:09 am

Blowing in the wind.. I was considering the Rhino 16 .. but ended up with a Waroo pro 17 .. Do you have any idea how the two would compare? Power, Jumping and turning etc?

Blowing in the Wind
Frequent Poster

Postby Blowing in the Wind » Fri May 18, 2007 2:48 am

Sorry I cannot help you with the differences on the Rhino and the Waroo Pro. I have not flown the Waroo Pro 17m.

Sorry about that.

Hunter Brown
http://www.gokitesurf.com

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Fri May 18, 2007 6:21 am

Pike wrote:I have rebels and have flown cabs amongst others. The rebel is a hybrid, not a bow or sle and is entirely different in flight, turning, lift, speed and safety.

Safety also? Please explain !!! (important to me.........well to my wife especially :lol: )

I was out with a (borrowed) SB1 7 m2 yesterday. The damn kite inverted for me on pretty deep waters. Would a 5th line kite like Rebel do that??

Pike
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pike » Fri May 18, 2007 7:22 am

Dr_Rosen wrote:
Pike wrote:I have rebels and have flown cabs amongst others. The rebel is a hybrid, not a bow or sle and is entirely different in flight, turning, lift, speed and safety.

Safety also? Please explain !!! (important to me.........well to my wife especially :lol: )

I was out with a (borrowed) SB1 7 m2 yesterday. The damn kite inverted for me on pretty deep waters. Would a 5th line kite like Rebel do that??
OK, this is IMHO

The rebel does not invert (the 5th and front lines attachments prevent this)- I have been in gusting 18 mph to 45 mph (not a long session I assure you!!) with my 7m rebel - inversion did not even come into my thinking at all and managed to self land no probs aswell.
It is 5th line safety so it has a true kite killer option. The cabs do this on a front line but not all power is killed and you have no leash to under bar attachment if you want to use this for inverted jumps and ease etc.
the iron heart is superb, you know where it is and is easy to reach and pull - not a small piece of red webbing with velcro. It is a true 3rd option unlike bows where just letting go of the bar is meant to be the 'safe' option.
self landing and launching are also very easy on 5th. Major factor for me is that there are no PULLEYS!!! thus no wear on lines - I had serious trouble with this with all mt previous kites part exed them all for Rebels.
If you release to 5th you can still re launch unlike release to front or back lines (OSH)
The stopper ball is wonderful - it takes 80% of weight but will move up if you push it or hit a gust - it does not lock = safer.

Hope it helps. :thumb:
Stunning kites and great control system.
Last edited by Pike on Fri May 18, 2007 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Fri May 18, 2007 7:22 am

In last months edition of kiteboarding.de there was a test between RavenIII, Rhino07, Waroo Pro & FS SpeedII in size 12m2.

The outcome was that among other the WP was a totally different kind. More new school orientated. All the other kites are powerkites suitable for old school/freestyle & speed (among other)

I do ride both Rebel and R7, so I know most of the differences. A lot has been said already about the difference between these two kites here on the forum. Use search!

Both kites have a totally different character. R7 is more for old school and speed, also a bit of free style. Rebel a more forgiving freerider/wave kite

Pike
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pike » Fri May 18, 2007 7:45 am

hey mig
that's interesting but I can't help wondering what the designers think when making these kites..
Am I old school?? or maybe I'm free style with a little wave and free riding at speed...sh!t I'm confused
truth is I like a bit of everything...and anyway what is free riding exactly? hell, mebbe that is a bit of everything! :o :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”