forum for kitesurfers

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

I had to buy a Waroo 17?

Postby Clew In » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:07 am

Hey,

I was at Panama City Beach for a few days and I had my Cabrinha Crossbow 16 2006 and Omega 12 2008(never had it up). I got out one afternoon on my Crossbow 16. I weigh 220 and was using a sx151 board. The next chance I had wind I was pumping up the 16 and I heard the leading edge stitching poping. The bladder was showing in the middle of the leading edge. I let the air out and packed it up. I tried my new Omega 12 and the wind was only 12-14mph and I could not generate any power with this kite. Blew that day and I was in a pinch for a repair or kite. I e-mailed Cabrinha and they said send it off for reapair, sailtape would be a gamble. I decided to take a drive To Emerald Coast Kiteboarding. I met Mark Rush and he was stearing me to a Waroo 17. I was in a pinch and needed a light wind kite to finish my week. I bought the Waroo 17.

I got back to the beach and was wanting the wind to pick up and it was only 7-8mph. I went through the pre-check for a new kite and pumped it up. I tried to launch it but the wind had dropped to 6mph and the kite would not fly. The next day was about the same gusting to 10 and I just could not get going in that light of wind. I have not been able to try the Waroo yet.

I thought I would add some observations.

1- Waroo-I like the way the Waroo packs up and the bag is large enough to fit the kite in easy. The pull/sinch strap is better than zippers. I feel like with a tight bag I could zip the kite in the zipper and tear a hole.
2-Crossbow 16 2006 - Bag is ok you have to roll the kite up tight and work it in the bag. The pump and bar are strapped on and sling around and sometimes work their way loose.
3-Omega 12 2008 New Bag Sucks it is so small and you have to struggle to get the kite back in. There is no room in the pocket for the pump hose and WTF's up with the pump at the bottom of the bag and the bar stick out the top. I can not sit the bag up or lean it next to the wall it wants to fall over. It is akward.

Thats all for now Batterie is dead....
Clew In

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:01 am

sorry to hear about your kite...hope you get some good wind...

a.

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BJkitesurf » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:08 am

sorry about it!! Contra 17 is a awesome machine in a light wind condition !!
much better quality/more durable than CB 16

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:17 am

Sorry.. I' missing the connection between the subject title of the topic and the contents.

You bought a new kite and never got to use it? Bummers!

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:30 pm

Hey,

I ran out of battery power in my computer and could not finish the post.

I did not have enough wind to try my Waroo last week. What a bummer to be at the beach for a week and get no good wind and one day you get wind your kite fails you. That does not blow that SUCKS.

I wanted to say that I was wanting to get a replacement for my Crossbow and all they had in stock was 14 Contra, 12 Crossbows and Omega 15. I wanted a 17 Contra but that was not a option. I had to settle for a 17 Waroo. They did have a great price on the 2007 Waroo and I will be interested how it compares to the crossbow.

Clew In

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:45 pm

Clew In wrote:I wanted to say that I was wanting to get a replacement for my Crossbow and all they had in stock was 14 Contra, 12 Crossbows and Omega 15. I wanted a 17 Contra but that was not a option. I had to settle for a 17 Waroo. They did have a great price on the 2007 Waroo and I will be interested how it compares to the crossbow.
I definitely would be interested in hearing your impressions. The CrossBow riders I've spoken with have to adjust a little to the different bar pressure of the Waroo, but they liked its turning speed. Sounds like you have a good basis for doing a "real rider" comparison of the two.

Good winds to you.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:04 pm

Hey,

The Waroo does not have pulleys. I tried two different days with winds 6-8mph and 8-10 mph. Not enough wind for me to get going. I was able to fly the kite and it would turn fast for a 17 meter kite. They have six knots on the rear bridle line for tuning. At first I did not think much of the bar; however, after rigging it on the beach and checking it out in light wind I like it better. The QR is different and to reset it you need to make certain the loop string and pin are put together correctly. The stopper ball system is easy to use and you can hook your safety leash to the chicken loop or either stearing line by the OS handles.
I also wanted a kite with single pump inflation. But the five struts and smaller leading edge inflate quickly. The kite also has battens. They give you some spares so they may break easily. They warn you not to fold the kite and break them. Packing it up was a lot easier than my Crossbow.

Clew In

Return to “Kitesurfing”