Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best way to self-launch off a small boat?

Forum for kitesurfers
biggins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best way to self-launch off a small boat?

Postby biggins » Wed May 30, 2007 9:44 am

Hi,

I'm potentially moving to a spot with NO real launches but awesome winds in a little bay...

I keep thinking if I had a small dinghy I could motor out and anchor in the bay and self-launch.

What are the best ways to self launch from a dinghy and/or what are the best ways to self launch by say swimming out?

I've always had beaches to launch from or buddies on the rocky beaches to launch me, but this place has NO kiters...yet.

thanks,

j

Scribbler
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Scribbler » Wed May 30, 2007 10:50 am

What kites u got? seen a vid of Flysurfers being lanched off dinghy 100% solo,
these threads should help, I need to know this too,,,,

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2306561&highlight ... aunch+boat

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2314837&highlight ... aunch+boat

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Best way to self-launch off a small boat?

Postby noel » Wed May 30, 2007 2:37 pm

biggins wrote:Hi,

I'm potentially moving to a spot with NO real launches but awesome winds in a little bay...

I keep thinking if I had a small dinghy I could motor out and anchor in the bay and self-launch.

What are the best ways to self launch from a dinghy and/or what are the best ways to self launch by say swimming out?

I've always had beaches to launch from or buddies on the rocky beaches to launch me, but this place has NO kiters...yet.

thanks,

j
biggins, Where are you moving to?

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Wed May 30, 2007 2:39 pm

Depending on what kites you have I have a few methods. If you need a reference go to thekitehouse.com and in the pics section, tere are pictures to reference this.

Shallow water: I use a stern anchor, blow the kite up off a dive tank, then lay it leading edge down attached to the bow line in te water. Let your lines out and then attach the bar to the boat wit the chicken loop. Walk the lines out with the bar upside down. So if you ride with red on the left then walk it out with the red on the right. Back lnes over the shoulders, center lines around the waist, 5th line if applicable between the legs.

Walk the lines out and then go to the back of the kite and attach them. Make sure to keep the center lines from crossing over the back lines. This method can be used on a beach too so give it a try there if you need too.

Then it's all set to launch.

C kites just let the kite drift strait down wind and then turn it using a back line and self launch.

Bow kite, let the kite drift side ways and let the bag be out all te way and the kite will drift to the edge of the window and relaunch.

If you ave a bow tat sits on the edge of the window like a Cabrinha Switchblade, Omega or a Best Waroo, then you can leave the chicken loop attached to the boat and walk the kite out to the edge of the window and set it up on its side and then walk to the chicken loop and hook in and go ride.

If you have any other questions about this, let me know.
Later~Nick

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Wed May 30, 2007 3:50 pm

[quote="slingshotucf"]Depending on what kites you have I have a few methods. If you need a reference go to thekitehouse.com and in the pics section, tere are pictures to reference this.

I went to the PHOTO, but couldn't find the boat launch pics. I couldn't find the "pics section".

You sure have a lot of photos on your site! Too much to wade through. Don't need the advertisements... not looking for a vacation, but information on the technique of safely boat launching a kite.

Give me a hint....where are the reference pictures...or better yet...put them on this site.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Wed May 30, 2007 3:59 pm

I just went to NWKite forum and they are discussing "boat launches" today also!

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-4721.html

paul m
Frequent Poster
Style: kook
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: cabrinha

Postby paul m » Wed May 30, 2007 9:44 pm

in the photo album half way down...under boat launch....

http://www.thekitehouse.com/gallery2/th ... p?album=30

if you need deep water i have them as well

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Wed May 30, 2007 11:02 pm

Paul,

Thanks for the link. Nice photos, not to mention a beautiful place to kite.

I would like to see the deep water series also. Please post that link.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Wed May 30, 2007 11:23 pm

For I went bi (foil and lei) I launched from a boat for four years with the FS foils. Pretty much throw out the lines, stuff some air in the chutes, and dump it into the water. Few minutes later it was pah-tey time. Always by myself, never a kind helping hand to be found. (cry, cry, cry)

landing you just dump the whole mess into the water and coil it up from the boat.

pretty simple.

Return to “Kitesurfing”