Style: Old school Free style
Gear: Ozone Enduro
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting in Egypt: Safaga versus ras Sudr

Postby mathieu leheilleix » Mon May 28, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi there,

I have planned a kiting trip to Ras Sudr for the last week of Aug / 1st week of September 07.
I have been hesitating for a long time between Safaga & Ras Sudr.
Which destination offer the best wind / and conditions at that time of the year for confirmed kiters?
Planning on staying at the Green Sudr hotel in Ras sudr that offers direct access to the kiting zone.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated !
:thumb:
Matt

flyingJEZMONDO
Medium Poster

Postby flyingJEZMONDO » Mon May 28, 2007 7:43 pm

Hi Matt

We (the iksurfmag.com) have just got back from a trip to Egypt, Ras Sudr, stayed at the lagoons at the Green sudr, It was a fantastic trip with some of the best kiting conditions I have ever had. Keep a look out for the latest issue of http://www.iksurfmag.com there will be a full write up on the resort should be live mid to late June.

Jez
http://www.iksurfmag.com

mathieu leheilleix
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Le morne, Mauritius
Favorite Beaches: Le morne, Mauritius
Dolphin Beach, Cape Town
Style: Old school Free style
Gear: Ozone Enduro

Postby mathieu leheilleix » Tue May 29, 2007 8:39 am

Hi Jez,

Thanks for your message and for the link, the mag is real kiff / good. Loved the Brazil section and the interview of Cam Dietrich & Ben Lee Meyer from Naish.
On page 45, is Cam riding an Omega or a SW??
A great quality mag all round! :thumb:

Thks for the info on Ras Sudr - I suddenly got a bit concerned when I looked at the current wind stats on windfinder & windguru (looked like Safaga had more wind than Ras Sudr) but it looks like the place rocks! :D

It seems that whilst offering very good flat riding conditions in the lagoon there is also a bit of chop / waves further out at sea (I kite in cape Town and I also like wave riding): Could you confirm?

I'll be taking my gear to Ras Sudr: I am riding Switchblade 4/7/9 (the 4 is more for my wife who also kite and only weights about 48 kilos!) - Would this be OK or am I likely to need bigger kites? (I weight about 78 kilos).

Will definitely keep any eye for the next issue.

NB: What's the kite like in Shoreham? I used to surf there (at the Hot Pipes + Marina in Brighton) when I was living in the UK.

flyingJEZMONDO
Medium Poster

Postby flyingJEZMONDO » Tue May 29, 2007 9:01 am

Matt,

Thanks for the comment on the Mag, we have been working real hard to get a world class mag, although we had a few teething problems/server issues at the beginning its seems as though we have it right now..... glad you like it....

As far as I am concerned you can forget wind guru for Ras Sudr it is a thermal wind that cannot be predicted on windguru, as to it being windier in Safaga I can't tell you.... but you would be extremely unlucky to go this time of year and not get at least 50% of your trip on the water...

NO waves in Ras Sudr, flat as a pancake...and bloody gorgeous crystal clear water, like stepping into a bath... Make sure you check the tides though as it is a Tidal spot and it is quite a walk to the sea if the lagoons are full of kiters and you want some space....

I was there for 10 days I used the 11/13m the most, I would def recommend bigger kites dont think the 4/7/9 will cut it... Although they do have kites for hire, think they are flexi Atoms...

Kiting in Shoreham is ace, great crowd and great wind stats, not the best surf in the world although in the winter months does get some good swell....

Hope that helps if you need any more info email me.

jez@nextelement.co.uk

Mondo.
http://www.iksurfmag.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”