Omega HD sucks at Boosting???

forum for kitesurfers

TheBRD
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Omega HD sucks at Boosting???

Postby TheBRD » Wed May 30, 2007 1:58 am

I took out a 12m Cabrihna Omega HD the other day in about 18-22knts max. I was lit right up while riding but could boost very high i mean i was getting little pops off the water no more than 8-10 feet it felt like. Later i rode my 11m waroo pro and was boosting fine. is the HD just a shitty kite for jumping or is it me. I also hated unhooking with it didn't feel like i had control i like.

BTW i ride a 133 litwave board and i am 6'3 about 200 lbs

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster

Postby slingshotucf » Wed May 30, 2007 4:06 am

It must be you. I find that the Omega jumps really high. Try the kite in the 1:1 ratio set up. I also do a lot of handle pass stuff on it and I like it for that as well, I prefer the Switchblade for handle passes since it has a little more bar pressure but as long as a kite pulls, then it's working.

Airtime
Frequent Poster

Postby Airtime » Wed May 30, 2007 4:42 am

I don’t think its fair to compare the WP to Omega in terms of jumping.. the WP is a jumping kite .. it’s like comparing a mid aspect “câ€Â

CameraGuy
Medium Poster

Postby CameraGuy » Wed May 30, 2007 6:22 am

guys not to be negative towards someones work but...

i rode this kite at Pismo and hands down it was "worst in show"

i made one pass and took it back - shame on these guys for screwing beginners over on this thing. it did nothing good except go upwind. all the safety bells and whistles,pulleys just made it confusing and unable to even control.

when i was a beginner i had my share crap designs to suffer through(co2,nitros) but this takes the cake. Four years later you would think the company would be bettering things??

too much CAD work and marketing BS - this was the same thing that killed windsurfing designs back in the day. fashion not fuction.

Cab lovers sorry but this thing blows

cholas
Medium Poster

Postby cholas » Wed May 30, 2007 6:38 am

These reviews of omega are too confusing unless you state if you are flying in 1:1 or 2:1 setup. Completely different kite in different mode.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster

Postby slingshotucf » Wed May 30, 2007 2:23 pm

If you're a beginner then the 2:1 ratio is great since it has massive depoer and a lot of bar pressure to see where the kite is at. It's not going to boost big or move really fast, it's in beginner mode.

If you kite already and can throw down, then put it in the 1:1 ratio and then the kite is fast, boost huge (if you know how to boost on a bow), great un-hooked and at loops. At first I didn't like the Omega but now it's one of my favorites. If you're trying to boost and you can't feel the kite then just put your fingers around the center line and you'll feel right where the kite is at. It takes a little getting used too if you're used to riding other kites.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed May 30, 2007 2:33 pm

slingshotucf wrote:If you're a beginner then the 2:1 ratio is great since it has massive depoer and a lot of bar pressure to see where the kite is at. It's not going to boost big or move really fast, it's in beginner mode.

If you kite already and can throw down, then put it in the 1:1 ratio and then the kite is fast, boost huge (if you know how to boost on a bow), great un-hooked and at loops. At first I didn't like the Omega but now it's one of my favorites. If you're trying to boost and you can't feel the kite then just put your fingers around the center line and you'll feel right where the kite is at. It takes a little getting used too if you're used to riding other kites.
I dont get this at all :o

I can understand if it FEELS different...
And also why more bar pressure is better for a beginner.

But I can not see why there should be any difference in the way the kite performs.

2:1 or 1:1 will not change how fast the kite is, nor how high you can boost :roll:
Maybe reverse only - 2:1 gives higher jumps, and a faster turning kite.

Kindly, Peter Frank

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster

Postby slingshotucf » Wed May 30, 2007 2:43 pm

When you change from 1:1 and 2:1 the kite's bridle is moved on the kite as well. This in turn makes the kite get pulled at a different point on the leading edge and fly in the window differently. The 2:1 pulls more on the leading edge allowing it to depower more. The 1:1 allows it to pull more on the trailing edge giving it more low end.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Wed May 30, 2007 5:39 pm

CameraGuy wrote:
i made one pass and took it back -

when i was a beginner i had my share crap designs to suffer through(co2,nitros) but this takes the cake. Four years later you would think the company would be bettering things??

too much CAD work and marketing BS - this was the same thing that killed windsurfing designs back in the day. fashion not fuction.
quality review. one pass and that's it? man...i'm a dealer and usually don't even review things until after 3 or 4 sessions. but one pass?

the rest of the post sounds like you're just not much of a cabrinha fan and that's cool. everyone has certain biases.

riders in our area have been having a blast with the new omegas. 12m, 9m and 7m's.

jumping is not a problem at all. guys are getting some serious air with the omega's. actually jumping higher than I would have guessed initially. all are using it in pulley mode so far. I have some video that I'll try to post soon if possible.

bob
http://www.kiteridersllc.com

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed May 30, 2007 5:44 pm

toyletbowl wrote:
jumping is not a problem at all. guys are getting some serious air with the omega's.

bob
http://www.kiteridersllc.com
:thumb:
Attachments
tyjump5607.jpg
tyjump5607.jpg (88.1 KiB) Viewed 1649 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”