Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

nova 06 bar mod suggestions

forum for kitesurfers

merl
Medium Poster

nova 06 bar mod suggestions

Postby merl » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:50 pm

Just just picked up a well used nova 06 on ebay. The bar setup looks pretty worn, and I'm not keen on the "drop-the-bar-and-the-kite-drops" for when I am out on the water, so I want to do some kind of mod.

I've seen old posts from Peter Frank about putting a fixed harness line on but I am not keen on that idea.

What I'd like is
  • * ability to depower completely in order to self-start by tying the kite to a post/sandbag. (I have some ideas about spots where I can do a solo water launch/land.)

* ability to set a bar stopper for riding in steady winds
My current idea is to have a two-line setup with a slideable stopper ball, plus a leash attached to the junction of the front lines, so that when going to the leash the kite will depower completely in the nova style. I was also thinking about using a cleat on the chicken loop.

What i can see is that when the bar is released the bar slides 150cm form the chicken loop. (Does it really need to be that long to depower completely? )

I figure that if I have the front lines attached 75cm from the bar, and a fixed leash to that point then the bar will be 150cm from the leash attachment when the chicken loop/bar is released. Then I can have 40cm sheeting range on the depower + 35cm left for some depower unit above the lines (unless I cleat at the bar end). I noticed that when the bar is sheeted all the way in and the depower strap is out then the rears are 10cm longer than the mains, so I need to keep that as a reference.

What do you think of that idea? Any alternative suggestions for nova '06 bar setups? I'm not planning to buy any expensive nova bar upgrades.

Cheers,
merl

frederics
Medium Poster

Postby frederics » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:55 pm

go for a NTS kit. You should have everything you are looking for on hands.

for info: phpbb/download.php?id=6092

I use it for my E-Nova, that the best bar of the market.

merl
Medium Poster

Postby merl » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:04 pm

frederics wrote:go for a NTS kit. You should have everything you are looking for on hands.

for info: phpbb/download.php?id=6092

I use it for my E-Nova, that the best bar of the market.
Thanks for the link but that's not what I am after.

As far as I can see the NTS kit costs 150 Euro or there abouts. Too expensive for upgrading a cheap kite.

But out of interest, how long is the depower on the NTS when the bar is released to full safety? Is it still 150cm?\\

merl
Medium Poster

Postby merl » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:04 pm

OK - no answers yet. Given that the bar is so odd I thought someone might have tried something.

I though of another variant - instead of a movable stopper (requiring an extra leash up to the front line attachment) one could have a bar limiting line - around 30cm from a quick-release on the harness to the bar....

Here is another question. I notice that the kite quality is good, but the bridle lines are shite. I had to replace the right-hand pully line so I bought 3mm sleeved dyneema. When pulling on the old and new lines the original stretches like crazy! Like 5cm with just 10kg pressure. The new line does not stretch noticably.

Has anyone else noticed this? Wouldn't the kite fly much better with non-stretchy lines, or is this stretchiness just because of age?

merl
Medium Poster

Postby merl » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Nobody? Everybody happy with the elastic bridles on the nova? Are they just as crap on the nova 2?

mede
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Villa-Arcadia.com
Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa)
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa), the endless and windy beach in front of villa-arcadia.com
Style: Strapless surfing, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vanguard 5.2 (firewire kitesurf edition), Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: villa-arcadia.com

Postby mede » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:25 am

from what i experienced w/ the nova2 bridle on the 7m2, they are really excellent. The best bridle from what i've seen so far.

eran m
Frequent Poster

Postby eran m » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:52 am

mede wrote:from what i experienced w/ the nova2 bridle on the 7m2, they are really excellent. The best bridle from what i've seen so far.
same with nova2 9 m>no problems with the bridle or pullies.

merl
Medium Poster

Postby merl » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:01 am

What makes them "excellent"? If they are stretchy like the nova 1 then you might not even notice. Have you tried taking the long bridle line - the one that goes through a pully - and attaching it to a fixed object and pulling on the other end of it? The nova 1 is very elastic, not at all like a new dyneema rope, so I am sure that replacing this must improve the feel of the kite.

Anyway, interesting that one can only get comments about this year's kites. Last year's model in the trash already?

eran m
Frequent Poster

Postby eran m » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:39 am

the bridel strings has bigger dia(diff from the bar strings),i dont think they stretchy(i dont know how is it at nova 06)

merl
Medium Poster

Postby merl » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:55 pm

eran m wrote:the bridel strings has bigger dia(diff from the bar strings),i dont think they stretchy(i dont know how is it at nova 06)
Looks rather similar to me, around 3-4mm isn't it. Anyway, glad it is working well for you.

Cheers,
Merl

Return to “Kitesurfing”