Spped2 19m hype is true

forum for kitesurfers

mv
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Spped2 19m hype is true

Postby mv » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:00 am

I just got my Speed2 19m in yesterday and had my first session today. THe hype over this kite is true. There were 3 other riders at the beach with me toady. One rider, about 65 kg riding a 19.5 m C kite, a Japanese pro rider/instructor, about 60 kg, on a Rebal 16m, a small female on a 14m bow, and me at 80 kg. The winds were 10-13 knots, hot and humid.

I was the only one who could ride up wind and I was able to jump, do rotations, and do jump and rotational transitions. All of the other riders could only ride downwind and walk back up the beach.

This kite is not for everyone, however. It is an advanced foil kite and take some foil skill to ride. The riding style is also not for everyone. This is a park and ride kite that will give you very good hang time. While you can ride it unhooked it does not have the pop for new style tricks. This is very much an old-school riding style of kite.

The kite also does not feel like a 19m kite. It feels much smaller.

So you want to be able to ride in some really light winds and you do not mind foil kites this may be for you.

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:13 pm

One rider, about 65 kg riding a 19.5 m C kite, a Japanese pro rider/instructor, about 60 kg, on a Rebal 16m, a small female on a 14m bow

I think I recognize these people. :lol: So, it worked well then. Yep, for the hot light winds summer days you get there, it is just about ideal. Anything's better than walking on those days. Then, just switch down to your favorite kite at 13knots or so.

Funny what a difference hot/humid days make. I noticed that when I went down there I couldn't stay upwind in 10-12knots, but that here I can...yet it's dead flat water there, and crap chop here. Warm air just seems to kill it.

Glad you had a perfect day to test it...I'm off to the beach tomorrow to test my changes! :thumb:

j

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:10 pm

which beach was it ?
I guess it is one of the tokyo beaches right ?

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:13 pm

Bit farther south....Okinawa. Wish I was there with ya bro!

j

P.S. Marc I've got the SA version...I went to Kemigawahama and was the only of nearly 30kiters to ride that day in 6-9knots! I'm 90+kilos.

Pretty amazing kite...I switch to a Rebel at 13knots or so though for the faster turning/depower etc.

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:22 pm

biggins wrote:Bit farther south....Okinawa.
P.S. Marc I've got the SA version...I went to Kemigawahama and was the only of nearly 30kiters to ride that day in 6-9knots! I'm 90+kilos.

Pretty amazing kite...I switch to a Rebel at 13knots or so though for the faster turning/depower etc.
How is Okinawa in August ? Actually I am planning a one week kite trip arround Japan. I am thinking about: Fiji or Okinawa.

By the way I tried the Silver Arrow 19 2 weeks ago in Shanghai. I was impressed but I beleive that it takes some time to handle it even I am used to the Speed (1) 17.

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:37 pm

Okinawa in August?...hmmm, either hit or miss. If a typhoon comes it's a HIT, if not...8knots is pretty common...and HOT, and expensive since it's tourist season.

I go down in the winter when the prices DROP considerably. You can get a round trip ticket with SkyMark airlines for 24,000en! And Nov/Dec is just about perfect. not so hot, not too cold, and usually 12-22knots so just perfect.

No idea about Fiji, but that's where I'd go in August from what I've heard...maybe not for kiting but for overall good times, it sounds quite nice...bikini clad, french speaking maidens can't be all that bad. :lol:

If you DO want to go down to Okinawa next Nov/Dec I'll be going down every other weekend so you're free to join! Lots of VERY cool kiters, and in general nice people. :thumb:

j

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Spped2 19m hype is true

Postby FredBGG » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:30 pm

mv wrote: This is a park and ride kite...
Hi Mv

Not just a park and ride kite.
Try sineing it. Sign it agressivly, but not long strokes. Just quick short slight up and down motion. You will be suprized how fast you can go :thumb:

Also thow some weight at it and fling it around the wind window too.
At first I was mainly parking the kite, but once you get a hang of the kite you can chuck it around more.

Cheers

Fred

Return to “Kitesurfing”