Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Launching your kite, Leading edge into the wind

forum for kitesurfers

Nasti1

Launching your kite, Leading edge into the wind

Postby Nasti1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:35 am

I'm just curious, is it universally accepted that the leading edge is to be pointed away from the power zone when launching someone elses kite? The other day I saw some people launching their kites with the LE towards the center of the wind window rather than away from it.

Does it not matter what direction the LE points when launching?

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Re: Launching your kite, Leading edge into the wind

Postby Windrider » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:53 am

Nasti1 wrote:I'm just curious, is it universally accepted that the leading edge is to be pointed away from the power zone when launching someone elses kite? The other day I saw some people launching their kites with the LE towards the center of the wind window rather than away from it.

My guess is that the people you were watching were abject beginners.
You always want the leading edge pointed into the wind.

Nasti1

Postby Nasti1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:17 am

I'm a beginner as well, thats why i'm asking. I figured more advanced people might feel confident that they can keep the kite from powering up too quickly

spork
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby spork » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:30 am

Yes, the leading edge should be pointed into the wind. In fact it's important that the kite be very near the edge of the window. Too far forward or too far back can be downright dangerous - particularly for a beginner. Launching with the leading edge pointed downwind could very easily be fatal.

Generally speaking you want the rider and the launcher to be standing more or less directly cross wind from one another when you begin the launch. If anything, the launcher should be just a bit upwind. Once the launcher has the kite in position he can walk downwind slowly, or the rider can walk upwind slowly until the kite is filled with wind (no longer luffing and flapping). There should be almost no force on the launcher at all when he releases the kite. If there is any force it should be a slight force of the kite trying to move upwind.

Keep in mind launching and landing (usually launching) is when people die. This is a skill you want to get right.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:56 am

a simple rule :

Put your face strait to the wind direction , then open your arms 90 degrees left or right it your launching / landing zone , LE facing the wind.

I see this errors to often when newbies are flying trainer kites and one of them helps re-launching , they just take the kite and let it go.... yeah you can do that with a 3m kite with 12 knots , but then they do the same when they get the 7 or 9 m kites ..... dangerous

Saludos

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:18 am

Nasti1 wrote:I'm just curious, is it universally accepted that the leading edge is to be pointed away from the power zone when launching someone elses kite? The other day I saw some people launching their kites with the LE towards the center of the wind window rather than away from it.

You are getting me worried by asking this question. Anyone with two kites and planning to kitesurf with them should know this already, plus a lot of other safety information.

Just dont want you to get hurt (or hurt anyone else).
As usual, the advice is
Get lessons
Do not skip lessons to save money
Get lessons

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:25 am

ronnie wrote: Get lessons
Get lessons
I second that - strongly.

Nasti1

Postby Nasti1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:40 pm

ronnie wrote:

Anyone with two kites and planning to kitesurf with them should know this already, plus a lot of other safety information.

Just dont want you to get hurt (or hurt anyone else).
As usual, the advice is
Get lessons
Get lessons
Actually 4 kites now, lol.

I have actually taken lessons and do follow the guidelines they've taught me. I was just curious, since I see alot of people do things on the beach which run contrary to what i've been taught. In some cases, a lot of these guys ride far better than I do and can do cool tricks. Lol, i guess they're just being show offs

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:58 pm

4 kites? What kinds of kites do you have?

Where are you? What you are describing sounds totally strange. Like "physics says it shouldn't work" type strange. A wing won't generate any lift if the leading edge is facing away fom the wind. If they are launching a kite with the leading edge away from the wind, it would just drift downwind, possibly tangle the lines, etc. Major mess. Can you videotape it to show what it looks like?

I could see them trying to do a hot launch with a foil kite (not inflatable). The few foils that I've helped launch were launched from more downwind than an inflatable.

Nasti1

Postby Nasti1 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:25 pm

What kinds of kites?

I have a Slingshot Link, Cabrinha CO2, Cabrinha Crossbow, and Naish Aero II.
This way I can always kite safely/within my comfort zone in any wind condition, i kinda like being a little bit underpowered [its not like i'm doing jumps or anything, just riding around]

Regarding foil kites, I didn't really get a close look. I don't think i've every seen a foil kite in person, other than trainer kites if those count. You very well may be right. They were definitely launching close to the power zone, another thing I thought was dangerous.

Video Tape it? Lol I'll try.

Well, atleast its nice to know that I won't look like a newb for following every last iota of safety advice i've been given.

Return to “Kitesurfing”