Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Final Foil Kite water relaunch question

forum for kitesurfers

vwsurftrip
Rare Poster

Final Foil Kite water relaunch question

Postby vwsurftrip » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:51 pm

When water relaunching a foil kite, how important is it to have the kite lines at 45 degrees to the wind like when launching from land? Most water
relaunch posts I have come across do not speak very much about
doing any swimming (though a couple have). Does that mean
that the "pull on the rear lines for 2 meters and then the top lines until the kite regains shape" technique could be done regardless of where the kite is in relation to the wind? Are there any risks with doing that if its straight down wind? Should this be avoided at the edge of the window as its not going to get much lift? (I know, too many questions, sorry)

Same goes when the kite "tacos." I have read frequently that you tug
hard on the depower strap to allow the wind to open up the kite. Can
you do this also regardless of where you are in relation to the wind or do you swim and position the kite in relation to the wind some how?

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FredBGG » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:03 am

Hi

What type of foil are you asking about?

Flysurfers or Peter Lynn Arcs?

Different mathod to both.

By far the easiest kite to relaunch compared to anything is the Flysurfer Pulse. Pull in one rear line about 6 to 8 inches and up it goes.

vwsurftrip
Rare Poster

Postby vwsurftrip » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:26 am

I am talking about the Peter Lynn, the Venoms primarily. I am familiar with the techniques themselves- mainly the one when the kite tacos and you pull on the depower starp, and then when it lands LE first and you pull on the rear lines until the kite regains its shape. That part I understand and have even seen videos of it in action.

My main question is does it matter where the kite is in relation to the wind when doing techniques? Can I apply the appropriate technique WHERE EVER I am in relation to the wind, or do I need to swim a little to place the kite in a more favorable position? Are there any positiions that I should COMPLETELY avoid?

Cheers

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby KiteSmurfer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:06 am

if its not taking off from the taco you can swim a little to help it face into the wind - this is more critical in light wind.

I suggest you go practice, you will see.........

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby FredBGG » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:57 am

If the kite is in the taco position, but it is not openning up and catching the wind in the center section of the kite swim to the side in the opposite direction of the leading edge. Get far enough to the side so as to position the kite a bit to the side of the wind window. While doing this keep tension in the lines so as to avoid the kite doing something unpredictable. Once you re in the right positon give the front lines a tug and this should move the leading edge more into the wind and open up the taco shape. As the kite opens up get ready to counter act the kite turning leading edge down.

When you swim over to the side make it quick, but also be carefull not to get messed up in the lines. Keeping some tension in the lines helps avoid that.

You'll find that as you get good at tugging the kite out of the taco shape you will need to swim less far to the side.

Whenever you have the kite in the taco position keep an eye on it because even a small wave can pop it open and the auto zenith can take over and the kite can power up pretty fast.

Peter Lynns relaunch very reliably one you've got the hang of it.

One golden rule is never pull the front lines when the kite is leading edge down. This can force water into the kite and then relaunching becomes a real challenge.

If for some reason you mess up and relaunch the kite inverted just fly it cafefully back down onto it's leading edge. let the kite drift downwind of you and then swim fast towards it and it will re invert and lauch hot.
Then go back to the beach, land the kite and uncross your lines.

Cheers

Fred

Return to “Kitesurfing”