Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Spitfire III, 06 Rhino, 05 Rhino or Machine?

forum for kitesurfers

gobigkahuna
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Spitfire III, 06 Rhino, 05 Rhino or Machine?

Postby gobigkahuna » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:29 am

Which is the better 20m for a heavyweight (110 kg) in light, gusty winds?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:04 pm

the R6 is better than the R5. I think the R6 is really good, almost like the R2 20, which I love!

I heard good things about the Spitfire 3, and I like the Machine 17.5 a lot, found it better than the 20.5.

gobigkahuna
Frequent Poster

Postby gobigkahuna » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:37 pm

Thanks Toby. You're probably one of the few who have flown more than one of these kites. If you had to pick just -one-, which would it be? I also -loved- my R2 20...

sjdavies
Medium Poster

Postby sjdavies » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:48 pm

Shameless plug here but I am selling a 21m Airush Reactor from 2006 on Ebay right now. I have not flown the others that you have listed but the 21m Reactor is a great big kite. In SBC Kiteboard Magazine last year 2006 during the kite reviews they also said the 21m Reactor was a great big kite, and one of the only big kites they liked.

cdakiter
Medium Poster

Postby cdakiter » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:46 pm

I don't want to throw a tangent in here, or start a fireball of comparisons, but I've been reading your posts GBK, diddn't you just get a SP2 19m? You no like?
I fly my 16m Answer in light winds over a GK 20, but I'm under 200 and on inland lakes,ride a plydoor, and I like throwing my kite around.
Scott

gobigkahuna
Frequent Poster

Postby gobigkahuna » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi Scott,

Yes, I did just buy a S2-19 and no, I didn't like it. I only used it for an hour, so I really can't judge the kite fairly, but good wind comes so rarely here (I've just relocated to Ohio) that I don't have time to "learn" the kite. I'd rather get something that works the way I expect it to out of the bag. Since I come from "C" kites and Peter Lynns, I've decided to shop for a good, old, reliable, 20 meter C kite.

The best lightwind kite I've ever used was the Rhino II 20m. I considered getting a 2006 Answer 16, but reports of it's instability at zenith plus the crappy average winds here would probably result in an equally unhappy experience for me. No, I'm not afraid to zip a kite around, in fact I like to. If the Answer 16 is more stable, has more bottom end grunt and faster turning than a Spitfire III 20m, then I'll give it a second look. Otherwise, I've decided to look for a dedicated "Lake Erie crappy, light wind" kite and it seems that my best option would be one of the kites listed in the title. At present I'm leaning towards either the Rhino 06 or Spitfire III, and of the two I like the fact that the Spitfire III has no battens (easier to pack).

I have a Spitfire I 10m that I've used a hand full of times and, although it can be a bit unforgiving at times, I really enjoy flying it. I'm hoping the Spitfire III is even better.

cdakiter
Medium Poster

Postby cdakiter » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:35 pm

For me and my inland lake winds, I'm finding my 06 Answer manageable, and the turning speed outweighs the instability. I've only flown a G2 13, but I do see and enjoy some similarities in flight charachteristics. (maybe all sle's?)The low end that isn't quite there until you generate some speed. I do also like my 21m,(more grunt) but I actually drop it way more than my answer, again the turning speed alows me to save the kite if I hit a hole in the wind. I also prefer 4 lines.
I like how Paraflysurf describes a well trimmed, highly depowerable kite. Basically it should overfly if let go when fully depowered at zenith. My opinion is with thoughtful piloting it's not a big deal.
I can appreciate going for the familiar pair of shoes though...I too keep trying to find that better setup....
good luck,
Scott

gobigkahuna
Frequent Poster

Postby gobigkahuna » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:19 pm

Regarding the Answer 16, the other issue that concerned me was the reports that it's bottom end was similar to an 18m C-kite. At my weight, I'd prefer to get a -true- 20 meter kite.

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo, Mexico. Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico.
Boca del Rio, Veracruz, Mexico.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Kites:

8m Ozone Reo V3
10m Ozone C4 2015
14m Ozone Enduro V1
15m Ozone Chrono V2
17m Ozone Zephyr V5

Boards:

ASP Stealth Custom Kiteboard 135cm 2013 Black
Fone HRD Lite Tech 137x42cm 2017
Core Fusion 2 139x43 2017
Axis Ultra 2015 144x45cm
Underground Kipuna 5'8" Surfboard
Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surfboard
Alpine Foil Access V1 Foil and board
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone, Slingshot, North, Naish, Core, Crazy Fly, Axis, Mystic, Pro-Limit Ion & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:51 pm

Hey Kahuna,
Sucks you had to leave Hawaii! I feel for you man.
About the kites, the rhino 06 has lot´s of battens and things and i can only imagine the 20 would pack down huge. It is not the most stable kite, you are an advance rider so you shouldn´t have any problems, but the conditions you mention might not be friendly to a higher aspect kite like that. I have ridden a 12m 06 in medium to powered conditions and it is a nice kite, really doesn´t feel any different to the Spitfire III.
The machine 20.5 i tried was a pig! Slow to turn, no power, complicated system, wear on the bar parts, not easy to relaunch, huge leading edge and struts (lot´s of pumping) and also big battens and big packdown. I have never flown the 17.5. The time i flew the 20.5 i immediately went back to my Caution Spitfire II 16m and had a bit less power but a lot more fun, much faster turning, response, and ability to do some tricks!
I have an answer 16m and it is a sweet kite, very fast, great for waveriding, i have had no issues with stability, but you have to watch where you put it in very very light winds on the edge of the window close to the ground. I think the Spitfire III 16m which i also owned had more power, and is more stable, user friendly. You can just park the spitfire, pull the bar in and get the power.
Sooooo, what does all this come to, i am sure the 20m Spitfire III is a great kite, i have used the Spitifire I and II 20meters and it is a great kite, lot´s of power, fast turning, solid, uncomplicated. The Spitfires III were faster, with slimmer struts, and safer and more stable with the 5th line. I was just in San Diego last weekend and the guys at http://www.calikites.com have a cheap Spit III 20m i think, and they are also cheap on http://cautionkites.biz.sco.com/?mainUR ... _id%3D5x3h although it says out of stock. They also have the answer1 16m cheap http://cautionkites.biz.sco.com/?mainUR ... _id%3D5x3h but i think it is without bar.
Cheers
Andy

Return to “Kitesurfing”