one pump equals "KEEP IT COMPLICATED"

forum for kitesurfers

ian c
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

one pump equals "KEEP IT COMPLICATED"

Postby ian c » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:21 pm

I managed to avoid one pump for years which was kind of deliberate, but now have itas there is little choice not to. Yeah it is quick and easy to pump up (unless you leave struts inflated in which case it is not), but it has still messed up about 3 sessions so far.

Hit the kite hard on the water and the clips undo anyway and the whole kite can go down if a pipe comes off -as it did

You need to find a new cable tie if you need to fix a stut bladder leak

More likely to blow up strut bladders - 2 so far

Struts dont need to be anything like as high pressure as the leading edge anyway

Have blown up a strut!

There is less to go wrong without one pump.

I think one pump is even worse if your kite goes down in waves - less likely to come out of it all full of air in my experience

I got 4 lines on my c kites, no battens to rip up my kite and lovin it

Kite companies "KEEP IT COMPLICATED"

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:54 am

I like it.
Been on it four years now.

alexpower
Medium Poster

Postby alexpower » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:51 am

Most dont have any problems. I dont think the kite companies are going to cater to your unique problems and forget about all the others lovin the one pump.

BiteMe
Frequent Poster

Postby BiteMe » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:59 am

Been flying a mixed quiver which includes a one pump for two years. Only one failure, but I still prefer the non-one pump kites.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:22 am

One pumps suck shit. End of story.

roby naiche
Rare Poster

Postby roby naiche » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:39 am

Add to this the extra useless weight right where you don't want it.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:12 am

Never used SS Onepump
But Naish Octopus is great :thumb:
Don't know how I did without it

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:36 am

Don't know how you did without it? Hmmm. Lets see. Took two extra minutes to pump up your struts? That seems to be how I do without it. How fucking lazy are you guys?

The bottom line is that all these one pump systems are marketing widgets that look great in the catalog but they are heavier, have more ways for things to go wrong, are harder to fix and one pumps never get the struts hard enough anyway. Pure marketing.

All these disadvantages just to save a couple minutes and a few strokes of the pump?

If you get free kites and just get rid of kites when you pop a strut I guess it doesn't matter but just wait until you are a thousand miles from the nearest kite shop, the waves and wind are perfect, and your octo-squid-turbo-injectors fail. You will shit yourself and want to wring the neck of the little worm who twiddles his horn all day in some kite design loft trying to justify his miserable existence by thinking up un-needed crap to cluster fuck your kite.

A friend of mine has a brand new north rhino with the two pump and he has had to fix a strut twice already. After a few hours wasted on needlessly complex crap he is so over it he says he will never buy a one or two pump kite again. Doesn't matter what brand of kite. All kites eventually have bladders pop and all one pumps are harder to fix.

Maybe someday a company will make a kite that is truly designed for unhooked wave riding. Until then, there is the reactor.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:10 am

surfingwithkites wrote:Don't know how you did without it? Hmmm. Lets see. Took two extra minutes to pump up your struts? That seems to be how I do without it. How fucking lazy are you guys?
Extremely fucking lazy! Too lazy and too busy having fun to fuck around with pumping individual bladders and messing with stoppers and balls and shit. :yeahright:

assmaster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby assmaster » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:14 am

normal one pump is great, i.e. slingshot and all simillar ones. but what the f#ck were naish thinking? that octopussy thing is the biggest load of crap i have ever come across, whenever fix one of those i charge the person double or more.

Return to “Kitesurfing”